England - The Southgate Years

Lineker

• Admin

The Burnley goalkeeper Nick Pope is out of Euro 2020 because of an impending knee operation. The 29-year-old will have surgery this week, ruling him out of the England’s squad which will be named on Tuesday.

Although Jordan Pickford is recognised by most as England’s No 1, Pope was in possession of the gloves having started all three games in the most recent international break. In his absence Pickford, Dean Henderson and Sam Johnstone are expected to be selected by Gareth Southgate.

“Unfortunately, Nick is going to need a minor operation on his knee this week,” the Burnley manager, Sean Dyche, told BT Sport, after being forced to leave Pope out of the season-ending match against Sheffield United.

Dyche did not confirm that Pope was out of the European Championship but the Guardian has established this is the case.

“It’s nothing too serious, we don’t think, but it still needed doing,” Dyche said. “He was trying to get right for this game to give it a test but didn’t quite come through in training, so he and we have had to make a judgment call on that.

“It’s mainly down to him and he knows what he’s got to do. He’ll have that [the operation] done this week and hopefully it will settle down for a quick recovery.”

A summer of shite football social media pages talking about it's coming home, Foden is the next Maradona and Southgate's waistcoat. Cannot wait.... 

Happy for Ramsdale to at least make the provisional squad. 2nd half the season he's been fantastic and the sole reason we didn't get battered in half a dozen games. 

Bamford not being included is an absolute disgrace. Harrison probably a bit unlucky to not at least be in the provisional too. At least they'll get the summer off and it gives me even less reason to care about England's shit, depressing football

19 minutes ago, MadJack said:

Bamford has missed more big chances than any player in the Premier League this season. You don't want him in tournament football, especially when there's other strikers with similar, if slightly worse, records.

Plus while it's hardly the days of Shearer, Sheringham, Owen, Fowler, Ferdinand, Cole, Le Tissier etc we do have a big list of good strikers at the moment. Ings and Wilson could also have been good shouts and that's ignoring retired Jamie Vardy.

• Like 1

Bamford also plays more as part of a pair up front right? The national team tends to have one out and out forward (Kane) with two wide players supporting. DCL and Watkins seem to be the direct alternates to Kane (and rightly so) and Bamford isn't a wide man. 

https://theblizzard.co.uk/quiz-every-england-squad-since-italia-90/quiz/

Go on, have a quiz. I got 189 because I'm amazing at forgetting people I really shouldn't (a certain legendary racist and a famously racially abused legend), including pretty much all of the World Cup 2018 squad. My peak is around the 98-2000 squads.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DFF said:

Bamford also plays more as part of a pair up front right? The national team tends to have one out and out forward (Kane) with two wide players supporting. DCL and Watkins seem to be the direct alternates to Kane (and rightly so) and Bamford isn't a wide man. 

What? Apart from Bamford isn't a wide man, none of that is correct. Bamford is the most natural replacement for Kane (obviously nowhere near the same standard) in terms of play style and I'm not sure he's ever played in a front two for us, maybe once or twice in the last 15-20 minutes when we've been chasing game but I'm not even sure about that.

5 hours ago, Colly said:

Go on, have a quiz. I got 189 because I'm amazing at forgetting people I really shouldn't (a certain legendary racist and a famously racially abused legend), including pretty much all of the World Cup 2018 squad. My peak is around the 98-2000 squads.

I love these quizzes. I did pretty good 96-2006 and was awful 2010-18. Obviously it's not that I don't know them, it's just that I care a lot less nowadays which means when the tournament starts it starts and once it's over, it's over, while back in the day I was checking lineups months in advance and was still discussing the tournament months after it finished. 

• Admin

Eberechi Eze was to have been part of England’s provisional squad for Euro 2020 before the Crystal Palace forward suffered the achilles injury that has ruled him out for at least six months.

In a cruel twist, Eze discovered he was part of Gareth Southgate’s plans immediately after hurting his achilles in training for his club last week. The 22-year-old, an England Under-21 international, returned to the dressing room and found a message from the Football Association telling him that he was in the senior squad for the first time.

It is highly unlikely that Eze, who has impressed for Palace since his move from Queens Park Rangers last summer, would have been part of the final 26-man squad that Southgate is due to name on 1 June. However the fact that he was due to be part of the larger group is a sign that the playmaker, who also qualifies for Nigeria, is in England’s thinking for the future.

England’s manager delayed plans to name his final squad on Tuesday because of injury concerns and the involvement of 12 English players in this week’s Europa League and Champions League finals. Manchester United face Villarreal in the Europa League final on Wednesday and the Champions League final between Chelsea and Manchester City takes place on Saturday. England will be without their United contingent when they play Austria in a warm-up game on 2 June their Chelsea and City players are likely to be absent against Romania on 6 June.

England, who start their European Championship campaign against Croatia on 13 June, have injury concerns over Harry Maguire, Jordan Henderson and Kalvin Phillips. Southgate, who called up Ben White and Ben Godfrey for the first time, has not received an update on Maguire’s fitness and he also needs be careful with Jack Grealish’s workload following the Aston Villa winger’s return from a shin injury.

23 hours ago, Colly said:

I got 224, including completing the Euro 2000 squad. The weird thing about that is the first tournament I remember was the 2002 World Cup. Similarly to @Malenko, I can see a clear peak between 96 and 06. 2010 isn't too bad but then it just keeps getting worse until I rebound with the 2018 WC squad.