England - The Southgate Years

Lineker

23 minutes ago, Gazz said:

I'm fairly certain, in his entire Premier League career, Downloadable Content has never taken a shot from outside the box, so of course, you play him out wide.

Every single tactical decision from the starting lineup to the final whistle was somewhere between baffling and shit that my 2 year old nephew could clearly see is absolute shite. 

I'd straight up be sacking Gary tomorrow because in this last week he has proven that he has zero clue.

12 hours ago, Adam said:

That is rancid but I expect you could do that for nearly any player in every match, isolating one thing they did wrong over a 10-20 second period to make them look crap.

Pickford shouldn't be in goal for England at this point anyway.

Yeh true. I didn't watch the match but saw that and it made me laugh. Plus it was Pickford so gave me another reason to laugh given the insistence that he starts for Everton and England when he really shouldn't. 

It says something about Gareth's team selection when the club manager of England's first choice goalkeeper was trying to sign a replacement who is third choice at his club behind England's third choice goalkeeper.

• 2 weeks later...

The 1966 team seem to be dropping like flies over the last few years. It’s a real shame and it’s pretty remarkable when you read obituaries and find out about these guys being forced to sell their World Cup medals to pay for social care or whatever and compare it to what modern players with a fraction of their achievements are bringing in. 

[/grumpyoldman]

But Bobby Charlton was England’s best player and the third best British player (after Denis Law and George Best 😏) in what was a golden period for the game so you really want him to hang on and be in as good health for as long as possible. He’s really special and I’ve got to admit I was pretty sad when Rooney took his record. Even though I’m not English and don’t really have anything against Wayne Rooney - he just isn’t as romantic or rose-tinted.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

England: Pope, James, Keane, Maguire, Mings, Saka, Mount, Winks, Grealish, Sancho, Calvert-Lewin.
Subs: Dean Henderson, Rice, Abraham, Maitland-Niles, Bellingham, Foden, Kane, Dier, Chilwell, Jordan Henderson, Pickford.

Rep of Ireland: Randolph, Doherty, Duffy, Egan, O’Dowda, Christie, Hourihane, Hendrick, Horgan, Idah, Browne.
Subs: Travers, Brady, McClean, Long, Collins, Maguire, O’Shea, Curtis, Molumby, Kelleher.

Referee: Carlos Del Cerro (Spain).

All I know about the Ireland/England match is that ITV's captioning used the Ireland rugby anthem lyrics for the Republic of Ireland national anthem.

One is in English and the other is in Irish. 

• Admin

Ireland midfielder Alan Browne has tested positive for coronavirus following Thursday night’s 3-0 defeat by England. Browne, who played the full 90 minutes at Wembley, has been isolated from the rest of the group before Sunday’s Nations League fixture against Wales in Cardiff. 

• Admin

Because idk where else to put this really:

The Republic of Ireland manager, Stephen Kenny, is facing a disciplinary hearing in Dublin on Friday after showing his players an “anti-English” video before the defeat at Wembley last week.

The Guardian has learned that Kenny left a number of his squad uncomfortable by the contents of the video, which were a mix of motivational pro-Irish messages and a history of Anglo-Irish relations. Indeed, it is believed some players objected to what they were shown.

England ran out 3-0 winners following goals from Harry Maguire, Jadon Sancho and Dominic Calvert-Lewin and this latest update will no doubt add to the growing pressure on Kenny after a less than impressive start to his Ireland reign.

He is still searching for his first win after eight games in charge of Ireland, including a penalty shootout defeat to Slovakia that ended their hopes of qualifying for the Euro 2020 finals. His team have managed to score only once in 2020 during a 1-1 draw with Bulgaria in September.

In a statement the FAI said: “The Football Association of Ireland is aware of issues surrounding content shared with our Republic of Ireland senior men’s team ahead of the recent international friendly against England at Wembley Stadium.

“The FAI is already looking into this internally as a matter of urgency, in order to establish the facts. The FAI has no further comment to make at this time.”

• 2 months later...