England - The Southgate Years

Lineker

14 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

I don't wish to generalise, although I am, but this pandemic has shown that footballers really are the least intelligent sportspeople out there. This Foden/Greenwood thing is just the latest proof of that, and I'm sure there has been a disproportionate number of COVID cases for football compared to all other sports.

How do they compare to members of the Cabinet?

• Like 1

I think it may be partly down to there being more famous footballers and footballers in general being subject to more scrutiny. If a cricketer violated lockdown most people probably wouldn’t notice him.

You could also compare the sensitivity of the likes of Marcus Rashford, Raheem Sterling and Harry Kane to some of the homophobic nonsense members of the England rugby team have been coming out with.

Foden, Greenwood and Kyle Walker, among others, are all morons, but they are hopefully not representative.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MadJack said:

Also I'm pretty sure like half of the MLB is out with COVID right now aren't they? Their restart has been much much worse than soccer's has been.

After the first 2 weeks of the season everything for the most part settled down. It was basically a few players (or in the case of Miami almost a whole team) breaking protocols. But that restart was horrendous. Professional athletes in some cases just feel invincible or that they rules don't apply to them.

MLS had two teams with a ton of cases at their restart, but that's calmed down as well.

The NBA and NHL have gone swimmingly, with players essentially locked away until their season ends.

The NFL? Well we'll see. Considering there weren't too many cases during training camps I think there's a sense of optimism the players won't do anything dumb during the season.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Lineker said:

Not 100% sure what time today the squad announcement is, but surely DLC gets a call up for the form he's started the season with.

Bloody hell, they're putting DLC in everything nowadays. Even the England team is trying to get more money out of us.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Calvert-Lewin has got to be in, surely? We need to be playing in-form players. 

3 hours ago, King Ellis said:

Bloody hell, they're putting DLC in everything nowadays. Even the England team is trying to get more money out of us.

Buy the season pass and you can unlock players who aren't holding midfielders.

• Haha 1

Goalkeepers: Jordan Pickford (Everton), Nick Pope (Burnley), Dean Henderson (Manchester United)

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Ben Chilwell (Chelsea), Conor Coady (Wolves), Eric Dier (Tottenham), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Michael Keane (Everton), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Ainsley Maitland-Niles (Arsenal), Tyrone Mings (Aston Villa), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Kieran Trippier (Atletico Madrid), Kyle Walker (Manchester City)

Midfielders: Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Jack Grealish (Aston Villa), Mason Mount (Chelsea), Kalvin Phillips (Leeds), Declan Rice (West Ham), James Ward-Prowse (Southampton), Harry Winks (Tottenham)

Forwards: Tammy Abraham (Chelsea), Harvey Barnes (Leicester), Dominic Calvert-Lewin (Everton), Danny Ings (Southampton), Harry Kane (Tottenham), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City)

Downloadable Content, Buyako Saka and Harvey Barnes are in. Phil Foden and Mason Greenwood are out.

Glad to see Saka getting some recognition on the international stage. 

England should probably go for a back-three system with Alexander-Arnold and Saka operating as wing-backs in my opinion.

I'd probably go for something like:
Pickford, Maguire, Keane, Mings, Alexander-Arnold, Saka, Henderson, Grealish, Rashford, Sterling, Kane.

I just hope he doesn't make Phillips hold Declan Rice's hand again, I'd rather he wasn't called up if he isn't going to be able to play his natural role. 

Henderson

Gomez  Slabhead

TAA              Pirlo          Chilwell

Winks

Sancho   Grealish   Sterling

Kane

Something like that

Edited by Matt