England - The Southgate Years

Lineker

• Admin
3 hours ago, Matt said:

No Elland Road or Hillsborough but Pride fucking Park gets in?

Article does say that Elland Road would have been in if not for the urgent need of the pitch needing to be totally replaced this summer.

But if you want a stadium in that part of the world you should be going to Nottingham Forest or Leicester before Derby, really.

• Like 1

• Admin
3 hours ago, Adam said:

Leicester, sure definitely, but Forest don't have a newer build ground and it shows in certain places. Including travelling to it! I think Derby has the edge there with better rail links and general location, as well as the stadium itself.

Travelling to it is easy; you just park the car at Hooters, everybody knows that.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Adam said:

Leicester, sure definitely, but Forest don't have a newer build ground and it shows in certain places. Including travelling to it! I think Derby has the edge there with better rail links and general location, as well as the stadium itself.

Derby is never a better location than anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

Jamal Musiala has pledged his international future to Germany over England. The 17-year-old, who became Bayern Munich’s youngest Champions League goalscorer in Tuesday’s 4-1 victory over Lazio, was born in Stuttgart to a German mother and British-Nigerian father, but moved to England with his family as a seven-year-old and has represented both countries at youth level.

Musiala was spotted by Chelsea as a youngster before swapping their academy for Bayern’s two years ago.

He told The Athletic of his decision to play for Germany: “I’ve thought about this question a lot. What is best for my future? Where do I have more chances to play? In the end, I just listened to the feeling that over a long period of time kept telling me that it was the right decision to play for Germany, the land I was born in. Still, it wasn’t an easy decision for me.

“I have a heart for Germany and a heart for England. Both hearts will keep on beating.”

Germany’s head coach, Joachim Löw, met Musiala in January to discuss the way ahead.

The midfielder, who turns 18 on Friday and is expected to sign a new contract at Bayern, said he would not forget those at Chelsea and the Football Association who have helped him.

“They are family for me, and I am sure that I remain a member of the family, even though I’m no longer here. I wouldn’t be where I am right now without the trust and support of Chelsea FC and the FA, throughout the hard times and fun times. It wasn’t always easy, but they made me the player I am now.”

Musiala, the second-youngest scorer in the Champions League knockout stages after Bojan Krkic, played for England at Under-15, Under-16, Under-17 and Under-21 levels, and for Germany as an Under-16.

1 hour ago, Bobfoc said:

Jamaica could have a really solid squad if everyone eligible to play for them did so.

In a discord server I'm in it was suggested that FIFA should bring in a rule where you have to play for the lowest ranked team you're eligible for. Suddenly DR Conga and Suriname are both quite good.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MadJack said:

In a discord server I'm in it was suggested that FIFA should bring in a rule where you have to play for the lowest ranked team you're eligible for. Suddenly DR Conga and Suriname are both quite good.

I understand where they're coming from, but imagine you're a real good player who just happens to be a San Marino national because your granddad was born there but you and your parents were born in Switzerland. You have no connection to any country besides your own, and you're good enough to play a world cup. You'd never be able to cause that rule would force you to lose to Moldova for the rest of your life.