England - The Southgate Years

Lineker

Come 2026, every G7 country except the UK will have hosted a World Cup in the last 40 years. This despite a wave of building/reconstruction of stadiums in the 90s and 00s that led to multiple top-tier stadiums with which to host World Cup matches. Meanwhile places like South Africa, Qatar, and possibly Morocco in 2030 get World Cups and have to spend a fortune in preparing their stadiums.

England not getting the World Cup in 2018 was such a shock. For a multitude of reasons but chief among them that the bid was much more financially solid than Russia's. Even when hosting it, Russia had to do hokey things like put up a section of seating that was actually outside the stadium to meet capacity minimums. It's clear to me there's a bias against the UK and also a likely level of corruption that eyes opportunities to use public money for billion dollar construction products that result in a ton of money lining people's pockets.

It's why I was a bit surprised the US/Canada/Mexico bid worked out for 2026. Perhaps it was a make-nice for the Qatar situation in 2022. But all the stadiums are built (largely taxpayer-funded in the US but they've already all been constructed). And Montreal for example backed out of hosting games to avoid spending public money on the improvements they were asked to make to their stadium. Meanwhile in the US there are more cities trying to host games than there are slots available. And each of those cities have more-or-less state-of-the-art facilities for the teams to use - between the professional teams and college teams in each region.

Getting long-winded but if you look at the 2026 hosts and then wonder if there's another country who can do the same you're basically going to immediately look at the UK. But watch this World Cup go to Morocco or some place that can't afford it and for whom it won't make a tiniest dent in their country's overall performance or the popularity of the sport. 

I'm guessing there's a similar element that cities who host the Olympics find, where all these facilities that have been specially constructed for the event end up going to waste. Perhaps not so much in the examples of already prepared host nations like damshow used as an example, but I can't see the likes of South Africa, Brazil, and maybe even South Korea/Japan using all their World Cup host stadiums and facilities to the same capacity or frequency.

In talking about potential world cup bids you had Irish politicians talking about building similar white elephant type stadiums here.

I'd assume with the Euros they'll be less likely to want to build massive stadia in Galway or Cork or something ... but it'll still just be money to line the pockets of the FAI and Dublin Hoteliers.

I'd suggest something like a requirement that all stadiums and most infrastructure projects be completed by the time you can even submit a bid for the World Cup, or Euros, or Olympics. But that would probably just lead to unscrupulous individuals fleecing gullible countries into building stadiums, airport terminals, and monorails that never get used when they never even have a bid accepted.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'd say that I'd rather have Tomori in an England squad, on account of being 8 years younger and the stats not being overwhelmingly superior on Smalling's side. However, I'd rather have Smalling and Tomori than Mings and Coady either way, so I'm not going to argue with you. :P

• Admin

Harry Kane is determined to shine a light on human rights abuses in Qatar with the help of captains from other national teams after expressing misgivings at the Gulf state hosting the World Cup at the end of the year.

The England captain mentioned his Tottenham teammates Hugo Lloris and Son Heung-min – who captain France and South Korea respectively – and also former clubmates such as Gareth Bale – the captain of Wales, who hope to qualify – as he looked to rally strength in numbers to drive lasting social change.

Kane and his England teammates were briefed at St George’s Park on Tuesday about the issues surrounding Qatar’s hosting of the finals – chiefly the rights of women, the LGBTQ+ community and migrant workers.

Gareth Southgate, the England manager, led the conversation, with input from other Football Association members of staff, including Mark Bullingham, the chief executive, and Edleen John, the director of international relations, corporate affairs and co-partner for equality, diversity and inclusion.

Southgate and Bullingham will travel to Qatar for the World Cup draw on Friday week and the FA is considering whether to give migrant workers a voice as part of any England media there.

Kane said: “There’s a couple of other national captains at Tottenham or maybe it’s talking to other national team captains to see if we can be unified, what we try and do. We haven’t spoken about it yet but, over the next weeks and months, it’s definitely a conversation we should have because when you are together as nations and you have that unity in terms of captains, you can send a message.

“It is something I will try to do. I think that will send out a bigger and more powerful message. It is part of the responsibility of a captain. It is important to talk about these things and not just hide away from them. And I know for sure the other lads will be happy to be talking about it, too. Hopefully we can make a real impact.”

Kane was asked whether it was right that it had gone to Qatar. “It’s a hard question to answer, if I am totally honest,” he replied. “It wasn’t our decision, it was the decision of Fifa.

“The World Cup is one of the greatest tournaments I have ever played in. There is definitely that excitement of being there and experiencing that again – 2018 was incredible for me and the other players involved. But there are some issues that you can’t hide away from. There are, of course, some conflicting emotions around it.

“For me and our team it’s about controlling what we can control and that’s to make sure we do what we can and use our platforms to help in any way we can. But also still be excited about a major tournament. We will have to learn to cope with it and balance the two.”

Kane admitted that in terms of gestures, the England squad were unclear, as yet, about what they may do. Some national teams in Europe have worn T-shirts and displayed banners that have drawn attention to the human rights issues in Qatar. What Kane did say he wanted to see was action that led to change which went far beyond the four weeks of the tournament.

“Any issues that we are trying to resolve are trying to be resolved forever,” Kane said. “It is not just a quick fix. The fact there is a light shining on Qatar will help the situation and help us talk about it. Having these conversations now is definitely useful. But it is important those conversations carry on.

“It is similar to taking the knee [in the fight against racism]. It is not just something we did for a small amount of time. By carrying on, we keep showing our support and that has been really important. I think the same thing will happen in Qatar and, after the tournament, it will be important to keep talking about the issues and make sure anything we do help or improve is for the rest of time, not just a few months.”

England are preparing for Wembley friendlies against Switzerland and Ivory Coast on Saturday and next Tuesday. Bukayo Saka did not train on Wednesday because of illness, although he is not believed to be Covid positive. The goalkeeper Sam Johnstone has withdrawn and is set to be replaced by Fraser Forster.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Admin

West Ham forward Jarrod Bowen and Leicester's James Justin received their first England call-ups as Gareth Southgate named his squad for June's Nations League matches.

Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson, Aston Villa skipper Tyrone Mings and Arsenal youngster Emile Smith Rowe were absent from the 27-man selection.

Kyle Walker, Kieran Trippier, Kalvin Phillips and Fikayo Tomori, fresh from winning Serie A with AC Milan, were included in the Nations League squad, but there was no recall for in-form Leicester playmaker James Maddison.

Bowen and Justin were the standout inclusions in Southgate's squad for the four Nations League games, with trips to Hungary and Germany followed by Molineux encounters with Italy and Hungary.

After a foot injury prevented him receiving his maiden senior call-up in March, West Ham star Bowen was included having finished a fine season with 18 goals and 13 assists in all competitions.

Versatile full-back Justin was a more surprising inclusion. The 24-year-old has made 19 appearances in all competitions since recovering from an anterior cruciate injury sustained in February 2021.