General Gaming Thread 2021

Ruki

16 hours ago, Krabby said:

Konami is content to sit on some really good franchises and put no effort into them anymore. They haven't done anything with my beloved Suikoden, those jerks!

VGC is now reporting that Konami plans to publish new games in the Castlevania, Silent Hill and Metal Gear franchises. A remake of Snake Eater was specifically mentioned.

• Like 1

Finally got round to playing Disco Elysium after Heather got it for me as part of the free games for NHS workers. 

What. A. Game

I just love everything about it, the art style is really pleasing, the dark humour, the way it plays etc. The way the world brought to life by the voice acting and the characters. 

I'm only four days in but I would highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't played it 

• Like 1

The worst kept secret in video games this year is finally official. Rockstar says the games will have better graphics and "modern gameplay enhancements", which hopefully means mid-mission checkpoints. They're coming out on Xbox, Playstation, Switch and PC.

Rockstar will also be removing the current versions of the games from digital stores. The last time that happened, San Andreas was replaced by a worse-looking and more bug-filled version, so I'm hoping that won't be repeated. I very much hope they get all the music back in too. Starting the first mission in Vice City to a song that isn't Billie Jean just isn't right.

On 08/10/2021 at 11:53, Bobfoc said:

Starting the first mission in Vice City to a song that isn't You Got Another Thing Coming just isn't right.

FTFY

I consider myself a very casual gamer yet tonight found myself reloading my Fallout 4 save three times to avoid a random spawn settlement raid causing the untimely death of an NPC cat that I can't actually interact with. Abernathys have been through enough dammit.

Third time's the charm as I headshot the six gunners whilst Maisie sits plum on top of a bench watching it all unfold.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/03/2021 at 10:20, RPS said:

Is anyone going to pick up Binding of Isaac Repentance on Day 1? I know Cloudy and BK are into Isaac, but my memory fails me as to who else is on the bandwagon. 

So, I have been playing around Binding of Isaac Repentance and I firmly believe that the Binding of Iaac is probably one of the greatest games ever. Anyone who likes a good rogue like should play it. 

Binding of Isaac's past updates have been fine, but they very much were orientated towards giving you one or two characters with a novel playstyle and items/trinkets that largely revolve around the established game mechanisms of the Zelda series- you shoot tears out of your eyes at enemies and you can pick up resources (hearts, coins, bombs, keys) and you try to kill your Mom. 

With Repentance, the game does something that is really interesting that is a spoiler. 

Spoiler

The game takes every single character and creates an evil version of that character that completely inverts how they play, often times based upon a core tenet of the character. These are the tainted characters

Isaac, for example, is a character who can reroll any item in the game. Tainted Isaac is interesting, because he can only ever pick up 8 items. So you have to think strategically - what 8 items are the best for my build to get me to the end of the run? Each character has a dark character like that. 

And all the tainted characters are wild. One is named Eden and she completely rerolls into a new character every time she takes damage, making your run insane.

This is all to say - the Binding of Isaac fucking rules and if you like rogue like games, you should buy it. It is incredibly hard. You will die a lot. But knowing a game inside and out that is so large and expansive is crazy.  

I have put 500 hours on PC, 300 hours on PS4 and probably 500 hours on Switch. 

• Like 1

I need to remap the controls or something and try again. I'm familiar with it through watching a lot of Twitch/YouTube people play it and I bought Rebirth years ago based on seeing them play. I have 2.3 hours in it because I suuuuck at it. 

12 minutes ago, apsham said:

This month (hopefully) Repentance is coming to Switch so I'm hoping to play it there.

I would wait tbh. Repentance is bonkers and I'm very concerned how it will run on Switch and I'm concerned about how the controls will be handled - they are rough on PC and I think it'll be terrible on a controller tbh. Like I can't imagine how they'll navigate Jacob and Esau and the tainted characters. 

10 minutes ago, RPS said:

I would wait tbh. Repentance is bonkers and I'm very concerned how it will run on Switch and I'm concerned about how the controls will be handled - they are rough on PC and I think it'll be terrible on a controller tbh. Like I can't imagine how they'll navigate Jacob and Esau and the tainted characters. 

Interesting. I could grab it on PC (I did on launch but performance didn't seem, great?) but I preferred the Switch portable route. I already play Afterbirth+ on the Switch but if there's something I don't know about I'd be interested in finding out. I could get it on Series X as well but... then I'd have to buy the whole package for full game price which isn't the best.

4 minutes ago, apsham said:

Interesting. I could grab it on PC (I did on launch but performance didn't seem, great?) but I preferred the Switch portable route. I already play Afterbirth+ on the Switch but if there's something I don't know about I'd be interested in finding out. I could get it on Series X as well but... then I'd have to buy the whole package for full game price which isn't the best.

I'll try to give non-spoilers on any tainted characters, but I'll give you an overview of how complicated it is. 

Jacob and Esau are new characters. You control both simultaneously. However, you can hold shift/the drop button and only control Jacob while he stays still. In order to drop things with Jacob and Esau, you have to hold drop and not move at all. 

Jacob and Esau both also have active items and they can use pills/cards. Normally, a character would use their active button with space and their pill/card with Q. With Jacob and Esau, Jacob uses his active item/pills with space and Esau with Q and you alternate between the two by using control. 

To make things more confusing some tainted characters will have unique active items that are in their pill/card slots. They could hypothetically speaking have an active item plus the unique item they have. Again, you would use control to alternate between the the unique active item and their pill/card. 

I have over 1000 hours on Isaac and I find it confusing at times to situate myself. 

1 minute ago, apsham said:

Well, that sounds like a nightmare, haha - thanks for the heads up! I'm going to go around the reddit and see if anyone's asked questions about how that stuff is handled.

I mean, presumably are playing with controllers. I just think it is an absolute nightmare to play on a keyboard which allows for your hands to be sprawled out.

That being said... I am absolutely going to buy Repentance on the Switch so long as performance is fine.