UEFA Champions League 2021/22

Lineker

Villarreal are playing with as much gamesmanship and anti-football as you'd expect, but Bayern have been given a huge letoff by the referee being too afraid to give Lewandowski a second yellow card when it was a clear yellow card. Was late on Albiol only minutes after going in late on him just 2-3 minutes beforehand.

49 minutes ago, damhausen said:

Holy hell Villarreal did it!

They've beaten the historically best English club, Italian club, and German club in European competition in the last 365 days.

But they haven't played us in the last calendar year.... yet

3 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

But they haven't played us in the last calendar year.... yet

I didn't phrase that well, as I think AC Milan are the most successful Italian club in Europe. It was supposed to be about domestic trophies (as Villarreal have zero domestic trophies). Man United, Juventus, and Bayern are respectively the winningest clubs in their domestic leagues.

Either way it's an incredible run for them to face all these massive clubs in quick succession. If you could script it there'd be a fascinating story with them reaching the final to challenge Real Madrid. Unfortunately I don't think that's in the cards.