FIFA World Cup 2022

Lineker

If Southgate were to step down after this World Cup, who would be the most likely person to replace him? If the FA insists on an English manager again, they almost certainly won't be able to tempt Eddie Howe or Graham Potter away from their current jobs. I can imagine them going for Steven Gerrard or Frank Lampard, which doesn't seem very exciting.

5 minutes ago, Adam said:

Gary Lineker just said Mbappe basically won the World Cup on his own last time. Alright then.

The pundits all seem desperate for the World Cup only to be about the 5/6 individual superstars, it's annoying.

There seems to be this extreme desire for the marquee names to be all that matter. It's always "Ronaldo's Portugal" and "Messi's Argentina". They're great players, but they also can't win a tournament without a decent team around them. It's like when people insist that Maradona single-handedly won the World Cup in 1986. Yes, he was outstanding, but it wasn't as if his teammates were all blokes they picked up at the pub.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

If Southgate were to step down after this World Cup, who would be the most likely person to replace him? If the FA insists on an English manager again, they almost certainly won't be able to tempt Eddie Howe or Graham Potter away from their current jobs. I can imagine them going for Steven Gerrard or Frank Lampard, which doesn't seem very exciting.

There seems to be this extreme desire for the marquee names to be all that matter. It's always "Ronaldo's Portugal" and "Messi's Argentina". They're great players, but they also can't win a tournament without a decent team around them. It's like when people insist that Maradona single-handedly won the World Cup in 1986. Yes, he was outstanding, but it wasn't as if his teammates were all blokes they picked up at the pub.

Gerrard would be an awful appointment, looks like Beale was the brains behind the operation. Was widely reported when he was at Rangers then the stuff from Martinez. You never know how much to believe of that though.

1 hour ago, Dang117 said:

France still haven't convinced me enough that they win this tournament. I feel like the defence is shaky and they are a Lloris mistake away from losing a game 

They’re an injury to Mbappe or Giroud away from looking very beatable.

• Like 1

Regarding France, I don't think they have a lot of structure. It was honestly the same case in 2018, and they just used being more talented than any other team out there to their advantage. But this is a team that Switzerland put 3 past at the Euros. They're very susceptible due to the general lack of structure.

But on talent alone nobody is beating them except perhaps Brazil. I think England would have a very good shot if only because Southgate keeps his side very (too?) structured.

Rashford dropped to the bench tonight, that is a surprise. I hope we have enough to see off Senegal regardless but this is England, they do like to make hard work of things.

As for the suggestion of Gerrard or Lampard being the next England manager...oh boy. That would be awful.

1 minute ago, Adam said:

As for the suggestion of Gerrard or Lampard being the next England manager...oh boy. That would be awful.

It's less of a suggestion and more a fear. I can just see the FA reasoning that they've both got over a hundred international caps and would therefore know all about passion. You know, the usual rubbish that some like to pretend is a credible substitute for tactical astuteness.

2 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

It's less of a suggestion and more a fear. I can just see the FA reasoning that they've both got over a hundred international caps and would therefore know all about passion. You know, the usual rubbish that some like to pretend is a credible substitute for tactical astuteness.

Thankfully, I dont think England have hired a manager based on passion and status in living memory. They generally went for "best or nearly best performing English manager" with hires like Allardyce, McClaren, Hodgson and Keegan, or "elite foreign manager who fancies it" like Sven and Capello.

Southgate was a departure from this in a unique situation, so hopefully they learn from it next time around. For me personally, I'd not want Southgate to go anyway, even if we lost tonight. I think he has built a good culture and team, and I cannot see someone right now capable of stepping in and making us any better than we already are.

42 minutes ago, Captain Kirk said:

Gerrard would be an awful appointment, looks like Beale was the brains behind the operation. Was widely reported when he was at Rangers then the stuff from Martinez. You never know how much to believe of that though.

They’re an injury to Mbappe or Giroud away from looking very beatable.

France without Mbappe: 

image.png

• Haha 5

Just now, TheGrandAvatar said:

Nice to see Del Boy and Dave in Qatar. Must be opening up a new branch. 

I could see them doing a full-length episode in which they try to sell bootleg alcohol to tourists and then have to flee the Qatari government on a dinghy.

• Haha 1

Just now, Bobfoc said:

I could see them doing a full-length episode in which they try to sell bootleg alcohol to tourists and then have to flee the Qatari government on a dinghy.

Somehow bumping into the England Team and running around the stadium during a Penalty shootout. The Nags Head supplying all that bootleg alcohol. 

Just now, TheGrandAvatar said:

Somehow bumping into the England Team and running around the stadium during a Penalty shootout. The Nags Head supplying all that bootleg alcohol. 

And there would no doubt be some case of mistaken identity that results in Trigger playing in central defence.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

And there would no doubt be some case of mistaken identity that results in Trigger playing in central defence.

Boycie just laughing when Del and Rodney get arrested.

"Del we can't go to Qatar. They kill you if you get caught."

Del: "You mean only if you get caught Rodney. Who's name do you think all this is in. You are the one with the GCSE's."

Anyway thank you for the laugh. I would probably watch that episode to be fair. 

Very nervous with this game tonight. Should be a good watch I think. Long as England win.