Premier League 2023/24

Lineker

46 minutes ago, Hobo said:

Hopefully its better than my only experience: a 0-0 draw with West Ham on a Monday night during the brief time Robbie Keane was a liverpool player.

Haha cheers, thanks! We definitely picked this match thinking it was our best chance to get tickets. I only remembered afterwards my best friend and I are going to Mania, which is that weekend. Going to be jetlagged as all hell for Mania, but I'll happily take that problem since it means we're going to the match!

16 hours ago, Szumi said:

Hoping that the match doesn't get moved around at all and change my travel plans, but just found out I got selected for tickets for the Liverpool match home to Sheffield United Wednesday April 3rd!!

Do you think the Sheffield team will be any less terrible now that they've merged?

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Colly said:

Just bear in mind there's always the chance of a switch to the Tuesday for TV, because this is a stupid sport.

At least with the midweek games it's fairly sure to be on Tuesday or Wednesday, whereas I'm hoping to go to Everton v Brentford at the end of April but can't really book it in for definite until they announce TV next month, as it could be on any day between Friday and Monday of that weekend.

2 hours ago, Chris2K said:

It wasn't just Sky though, it was Brentford as well. Making him captain for his return is literally rewarding him and treating him as a hero for getting caught breaking the rules he has to abide by.

I don't really get this take. He is a hero for Brentford, he's their star player and returning main goalscorer.

He served his punishment, he hasn't played all season. The debate over how complicit the sport is over gambling is another thing, but I see zero reason why Brentford shouldn't act like they have over Toney's return.

I see no issue with the goal either. That sort of tactic is used in every game by every team, it's on the officials to see it and the defence to notice and adapt their set-up.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Adam said:

I don't really get this take. He is a hero for Brentford, he's their star player and returning main goalscorer.

He served his punishment, he hasn't played all season. The debate over how complicit the sport is over gambling is another thing, but I see zero reason why Brentford shouldn't act like they have over Toney's return.

I see no issue with the goal either. That sort of tactic is used in every game by every team, it's on the officials to see it and the defence to notice and adapt their set-up.

On top of that the crime he committed wasn't a sporting one anyway, he wasn't involved in any of the fixtures he'd bet on. He's confessed to a gambling addiction, the club have supported him throughout, so giving him their full backing is absolutely the right thing to do. The captaincy is an interesting one though I'd be surprised if Norgaard wasn't heavily involved with the decision, but given Cantona, Ferdinand and Alan Smith all wore club captains armbands after their various offences I can't really begrudge Toney.

On the free kick they're all taken from 5-10 yards from where offences take place anyway (even when there's an obvious fucking divot where a foul has taken place), moving it 6 inches to the right is nothing. You see the ball moved further for penalties these days.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Chris2K said:

It wasn't just Sky though, it was Brentford as well. Making him captain for his return is literally rewarding him and treating him as a hero for getting caught breaking the rules he has to abide by.

Brentford know that Ivan Toney wants to move to a big club, preferably this January. Brentford know they need him at least the rest of the season to help make sure they don't get dragged into the relegation battle, especially since Mbeumo is likely out the rest of the season. They're going to do whatever they can to make him feel loved, welcomed, and their guy. Then come summer time, sell him like he wants.

• Like 2

Weirdest thing about Toney was the first interview he did start of the week saying how Brentford supported him. Next interview he gave was "Yeah I wanna move to a bigger club."

Like I get Brentford's position but it must be a bit of a kick in the teeth to stick by him after he's been banned, they've really missed him and then his first proper week back its them interviews

To be honest I don't think there's a big disconnect there. Hurts if you're a Brentford fan, but he's always been ambitious and there's at least two clubs desperate for a player like him.

Reasons I love football #642: Joao Pedro got the ball smashed into his face from close range in Wolves' box. Slowly staggers to his feet with the ball dead. Wolves keeper very kindly offers him his drink and runs to get it. Brighton fans clap. Brighton fans then still give him the "You're shit... ahhhhh" as he takes the goal kick. Lovely stuff.

• Like 3