X-BOX Megathread 2024

Ruki

I would expect the new consoles to come out in 2027 as that aligns with the Activision case leaks and the general seven-year console cycle we've seen so far this century. There is likely to be an all-digital version of the Series X coming out reasonably soon, but it doesn't appear to be more powerful than the standard model.

However, if Sony releases a PS5 Pro, there will probably be some internal pressure to release a similarly powerful Xbox hardware revision, so it's likely that we'll see something before the "proper" next generation begins.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I really really don't like that they are already talking about new hardware but that takes a while to develop right?

Right? :crying:

As Bobfoc alludes to, we're probably about halfway through if history is anything to go by. I suppose it just feels weird because of the time dilation of COVID and it's only been within the past couple of years that these things have been readily available. 

For the podcast, felt like kind of a nothing burger but that's mostly down to the way people have spent the last week over exaggerating the situation, to the extreme of people speculating that Microsoft were able to pull a SEGA and withdraw from the hardware market entirely. The whole multi-platform thing doesn't feel like a big deal to me, we've had years them publishing games on other platforms, being able to get achievements on your phone, PC, Switch etc and the industry seems more adoptive of crossplay. Financially it just makes sense as well, make your first batch of income on first party exclusivity, then when that dries up you cast your net to a wider audience by releasing elsewhere. It's like movies back in the day; you had your cinema release income, then rental/PPV, then widescale VHS/DVD release. It's better optics as well that they're not just hoarding these things now that they're buying these other developers, which is probably a big part of this since they had that big monopoly case (or it might even be still going).

I would question whether they'd be doing this from a position of strength though, I imagine they're lagging behind Sony (and Nintendo if you class the Switch as the same gen) in most metrics so they're going to throw stuff at the wall to see what sticks in order to try and play catchup.

• Like 1

Looks like Dead Island 2 might be on Gamepass? Opened up my app to download the Bluey game for my kids and it was there!

Edit: played for about 20 minutes or so, seems pretty fun!

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Bobfoc said:

Apparently, the Persona 3 DLC will be free for Game Pass Ultimate subscribers as part of the monthly Perks offerings.

Even better!

• 1 month later...

Not sure how well I'd get on playing it as I don't have the patience for those sort of puzzle/adventure type games but the art style looks fantastic. Puts me in mind of something like Coraline.

I tried Harold Halibut and I honestly don't understand what's going on. I don't understand the story or any of the jokes. It's possible they aren't even supposed to be jokes? The game started me with 2 tasks and I'm honestly not even sure how to complete the first one. I don't even think it's a bad game I just don't understand it. I think there might be some kind of commentary about the state of government in the UK but I'm also just guessing. I'm not deleting it yet because I might try later but I hope anyone who tries it gets more out of it than I do

• Like 1

I started it and, to be honest, the first impressions weren't brilliant. It begins with a dull walk-and-talk sequence (you know the ones - slowly following someone down a corridor while they spout exposition) and then runs through the usual action setpiece combination of shimmying along beams, sliding down a slope on your bottom, grappling between platforms and a boss fight that keeps getting interrupted by cutscenes that add nothing. Then you've got several "squeeze through this narrow gap so the game has time to load the next skybox" bits.

Then the story started to get a little more interesting and I landed on the first proper world, so I'm going to give it a bit more of a chance to hook me.