X-BOX Megathread 2021

My son really wants a new gen X-Box this year, and all that’s available is the Series S. Might have to stop being so stubborn and buy an all digital console against my better judgment.

Those storage expansion cards are crazy priced though. How is everyone dealing with the limited storage, especially since you can’t play the Series S games from an external SSD or HDD? Is it a pain to store X/S enhanced games on an HDD and have to move them to the main memory to play?

• 2 weeks later...

If my PS5 is anything to go by, moving a game back and forth to a plain ol' HDD takes a good bit of time, depending on the file size. I use an SSD for my Series S, and it's lighting quick. But buying an SSD is just about as expensive as buying the expansion card. I lucked out and my dad has a lot just lying around without shells.

It's not THAT big of a pain, only having 500ish gigs to play with. As long as you don't go nuts downloading everything on Gamepass or buying shit. I mean, yeah, it's gonna hurt if your son wants to play Forza or the Master Chief Collection, and those are well over 100gbs, and even DOOM 2016 is like 60+ GBs, but it's manageable.

Worth noting, though, that some X/S games are playable from an HDD/SSD - the Master Chief Collection, for example. It's got the X/S branding, but it loads up from the external harddrive. There's a list of X/S games on Reddit somewhere that you can store and play on an external drive. It's nothing ground breaking, just technically backwards compatible games that still have a few enhancements.

If you want to check if it’s playable on an external HDD:

• ⁠Press Menu/ manage game and add-ons on the game of choice
  • ⁠Go to File Info

⁠It will be playable on all drives if it says:

• App Model: XDK
  • Console Type: XboxOneGen9Aware
  • Gen: Durango

Or you can also try moving it to the Hard Drive, and if it gives you a Warning Sign, then it’s unplayable elsewhere

If it doesn’t, then you’re all good

• Thanks 1

On 22/12/2021 at 03:02, tristy said:

If my PS5 is anything to go by, moving a game back and forth to a plain ol' HDD takes a good bit of time, depending on the file size. I use an SSD for my Series S, and it's lighting quick. But buying an SSD is just about as expensive as buying the expansion card. I lucked out and my dad has a lot just lying around without shells.

It's not THAT big of a pain, only having 500ish gigs to play with. As long as you don't go nuts downloading everything on Gamepass or buying shit. I mean, yeah, it's gonna hurt if your son wants to play Forza or the Master Chief Collection, and those are well over 100gbs, and even DOOM 2016 is like 60+ GBs, but it's manageable.

Worth noting, though, that some X/S games are playable from an HDD/SSD - the Master Chief Collection, for example. It's got the X/S branding, but it loads up from the external harddrive. There's a list of X/S games on Reddit somewhere that you can store and play on an external drive. It's nothing ground breaking, just technically backwards compatible games that still have a few enhancements.

Ah, nice! The Series S was a hit with my son this morning. Fortnite and all of the Plants vs. Zombies games were instantly requested.

• Like 1

• RPS unpinned and locked this topic