Official Football Manager 2005 Topic

Thomas

Guest Mr McFarlane

Despite having shite physical Marco Streller is class. 20/20 for finishing and heading and he only costs 650k (American :P) at the start of the game.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just out of interest, when people play as big clubs, what do you generally do with your money? Personally when I start a game with Arsenal or whoever, I'll buy maybe one player who could be a first-team player, and then spend the rest on players who are under 17.

For example, I have spend £25m so far, with £6.5m on Hatem Ben Arfa, £4.7m on Michael Rensing, £4.8m on Aaron Lennon, £3.2m on Sergio Ramos and £1.2m on Alessio Cerci, and out of those players only Rensing is even in my senior squad. I've signed 19 players with the oldest being 20, and the second oldest being 18, and the rest are all under 17. Generally I just prefer to build up the squad like that, and maybe bring in a big money buy once every few years.

I spend money on youngsters ALWAYS and then a few additions to the first team squad.

Personally, if you want a good striker, Jamie Brown of Oxford United has done pretty nicely for me. Failing that, Juan Pablo Mendoza and Diego Armando Meija are both fucking class for me at Bristol Rovers. International players, both young and fucking blitzing them in.

When playing as a big club, I always sign youngsters like Adu, Simon Walton, Ryan Duncan (costs about 1k from Forfar, good for cup games against lower league teams at first, but he gets better and better season by season), Billy Sharp (gotta sign a blade), and a few more.

Plus, I get hyper with the money, and just blow it all on big name players.

I also HAVE to spend a lot on a single striker, like a huge, big name player. Its like a tradition. It keeps varying, between Vieri, Gudjohnsen, Cavenaghi, Ibrahimovic, or whoever seems to be flavour of the month with a big rep.

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

I never sign Freddy Adu, I absolutely hate him because of this game, everyone seems to buy him to me it kinda feels like cheating.

I've signed Cavenaghi and the like, but its almost always as a result of my own scouting, to me theres no fun in signing these teenage proteges.

I'm bad at signing youngsters because the ones I have signed (the last was George Junior Weah), get sick of the reserves too quickly and start demanding a first team place before they're good enough, so ultimately they're sold.

By the time a player would be good enough to get in my 1st team, I'd of probably bought an established player already, fuck the youth.

I basically just send my scouts out to find players who are under 17, and I'll generally sign every single one of the players my scouts report back to me on. If they're not good enough by the time they're 21, they get released/sold off.

That's another policy I have when I'm a big club, is if you're not in the first-team squad by the time you're 21 (or sometimes 22) then you're gone.

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

I'm really bad at seeing talent in potential youngsters, when I see all those 9's and 10's I'm all like 'What the fuck are you on about?'.

I do usually manage to spend every last penny though, the £250k left will go towards someone young on the transfer list or on an unprotected, if they're shit I usually sell them at a profit.

There's a couple of players who I ALWAYS sign (or at least try to) because I know from past knowledge that they'll become awesome.

In my old Wolves game where I got to 2008, Alessio Cerci was valued at £15m, Anthony vanden Boore was about £8/9m and Michael Rensing who is Chelsea's first-choice 'keeper and is worth over £10m.

Things you need to look for specifically is good determination, because that usually helps in their development. If they are very determined, they'll obviously strive to improve. Also if you have tonnes of great coaches they should improve quite a bit. Arsenal have world-class scouts on the game, so they generally find me some good young talent.

There's a couple of players who I ALWAYS sign (or at least try to) because I know from past knowledge that they'll become awesome.

In my old Wolves game where I got to 2008, Alessio Cerci was valued at £15m, Anthony vanden Boore was about £8/9m and Michael Rensing who is Chelsea's first-choice 'keeper and is worth over £10m.

Things you need to look for specifically is good determination, because that usually helps in their development. If they are very determined, they'll obviously strive to improve. Also if you have tonnes of great coaches they should improve quite a bit. Arsenal have world-class scouts on the game, so they generally find me some good young talent.

Started a new game as Rangers and finished 9 points behind Celtic in the first season of the SPL. Won fuck all too. Second year I got to my second Champions League game against Barcelona and lost 6-0, and I handed in my resignation.

Off to Leyton Orient I went, 20th in the Conference. Got them up to 12th thanks to John Sutton and Andy Smith - who I got on loan. Then I got a job offer from Port Vale in League One and I headed to Stoke, about to begin my life with the Vale.

Darren Fletcher is a fucking twat.

Playing second fiddle for two years now, first to Salomon Kalou and now to Bastian Schweinsteiger, I decided to cut the wage bill by offering him in specifically to a number of clubs reportedly interested as suggested by my assistant manager.

I get a few offers with Deportivo offering the most money, I accept. Then I get an E-Mail from him saying that he’s rejected they’re contract and under no point does he want to leave Old Trafford.

Questioning my authority, are you? It’s reserve football from now on you Scottish cunt.

Now fast-forward a few months, I check up on him and he now ‘dislikes me’ and now feels that moving clubs will give him more of a first-team opportunity (Who’d have thought it?). Again I offer him out and get a deal from Juventus, £14 ½ Million (His worth) plus Shaun-Wright-Phillips (A player who I brought to them) in an exchange deal. I can safely say that’s the last I’ll see of him. Prick.

fletcher4nm.th.jpg

I soon got bored of white heart lane, and started about my 10,000th game in a week. I'm villa now, and can't score for shit. So far, I've had 3 0-0's, a 1-1, and a 2-1 win. My four strikers (Vasell, Angel, Carlton Cole and Nathan Ellington have 1 goal between them).

Its a shame, because defensively, I appear to be fine. And Cristiano Zanetti chose Monaco over me.

Wonder why?

Are you sure Ponte could play? He did nothing in my Tottenham game.

I'm playing two games now, my Villa game that I'm getting into (Vassel scores 4 in one game vs. Charlton, doesn't score for 5 more matches, then scores 4 again against Tottenham......), and a Chelsea game (I'm easily lured by money).

I wanted to spend shitloads on a single striker (my big club tradition, see above). Went for Ibrahimovic, but Juve want £22M for him! No chance. I'd rather spend about £15M. If I wanted to spend more, I;d just try and sign Shevchenko.

Not that he ever leaves Milan.....

I play as Rangers. Who have the expectancy of a big club and the finances of a small club. So my approach is usually to sign free tranfers who will give good results straight away. I don't have seasons to build up a squad, because losses against Celtic don't go down very well with the bosses.

Although in my current game I got to the quarter finals (stage after the group stage) of the Champions League in my second season. Celtic went shitcakes and O'Neill left, Gordon Strachan came in, tons of stuff has happened. But I've won the treble two years in a row. I'm looking to win another treble if possible (all of the smaller Scottish clubs are getting much better) then looking for a job at a bigger club. I can't really do much more with Rangers, they just don't have enough money to support a Champion's League winning team.

Playing second fiddle for two years now, first to Salomon Kalou and now to Bastian Schweinsteiger, I decided to cut the wage bill by offering him in specifically to a number of clubs reportedly interested as suggested by my assistant manager.

I get a few offers with Deportivo offering the most money, I accept. Then I get an E-Mail from him saying that he’s rejected they’re contract and under no point does he want to leave Old Trafford.

Questioning my authority, are you? It’s reserve football from now on you Scottish cunt.

Now fast-forward a few months, I check up on him and he now ‘dislikes me’ and now feels that moving clubs will give him more of a first-team opportunity (Who’d have thought it?). Again I offer him out and get a deal from Juventus, £14 ½ Million (His worth) plus Shaun-Wright-Phillips (A player who I brought to them) in an exchange deal. I can safely say that’s the last I’ll see of him. Prick.

On my game I sold him for £40mil (over 24 months) to Juventus. (H)