Pokémon

PkmnTrainerJ

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/12/2019 at 11:25, Naitch said:

"Lol, we removed more than half of the characters, including some of the most loved. Here's a Shuckle and a Beast Ball." - The Pokemon Company

Stop disrespecting my wormy son you coward.

(Also one thing you could do with the Beast Ball if you care enough is to catch something low-level with it and then breed it because I'm 99% sure bred Pokemon use the same ball as their parent. I dunno what'd be an actually good pokemon this way though, Corviknight maybe?)

Edited by Sousa

• 2 weeks later...

I got Pokemon Moon with my 3RD. So much fun getting to play a Pokemon game I haven't completed before.

Can I get a Squirtle in Moon somewhere? I'd kinda like to have my favorite pokemon in this run.

1 minute ago, Mrs. Claus' Side Chick said:

Ok I have a Switch now and my GF is big into Pokemon. So out of Sword/Shield is one easier to jump into for someone who just watched the cartoon as a kid? I played Sun a little and couldn't get into it. Is that a bad sign for future Pokemon fun?

The games are pretty identical outside of the version exclusives. As someone who hadn't really played Pokemon in 5+ years, it was really easy to get back into. It's Pokemon, so it's been pretty much the same since the 90s. The one change I really dug was that all pokemon got experience from battle, not just those fighting, made training and evolving a breeze. What was it about Sun that you couldn't get into?

1 minute ago, Ruki said:

The games are pretty identical outside of the version exclusives. As someone who hadn't really played Pokemon in 5+ years, it was really easy to get back into. It's Pokemon, so it's been pretty much the same since the 90s. The one change I really dug was that all pokemon got experience from battle, not just those fighting, made training and evolving a breeze. What was it about Sun that you couldn't get into?

I think I just didn't understand what I was doing and didn't really have anyone to explain it to me at the time. It was the first one I ever played and like I get the concept but it was hard to figure out which was good against which and all that. I'm more motivated to figure it out this time around

12 minutes ago, Mrs. Claus' Side Chick said:

I think I just didn't understand what I was doing and didn't really have anyone to explain it to me at the time. It was the first one I ever played and like I get the concept but it was hard to figure out which was good against which and all that. I'm more motivated to figure it out this time around

There should be charts available online. But a handy feature with this one! After you face a pokemon once, you know it's type. So in battle, your moves will let you know if they are effective, super effective or no effect.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ruki said:

There should be charts available online. But a handy feature with this one! After you face a pokemon once, you know it's type. So in battle, your moves will let you know if they are effective, super effective or no effect.

So every Pokemon gets experience even though they're not fighting and they basically tell you which moves to use? I heard it was easy but is there any difficulty left at all?!

Part of the fun was training and figuring out which Pokemon to use in which scenario!

1 hour ago, TCO said:

So every Pokemon gets experience even though they're not fighting and they basically tell you which moves to use? I heard it was easy but is there any difficulty left at all?!

Part of the fun was training and figuring out which Pokemon to use in which scenario!

In this age of saying to your phone "what is strong against Shellder" and getting an immediate result saying Grass and Electric they may as well just put it in the games to save people the bother.

• Like 2

There are elements of this new one (fixed high-level Pokemon in the Wild Area, Dynamax raids, some of the gym leaders like Raihan especially employing unusual strategies with weather), but really the challenge of Pokemon has never been that it's actually hard, it's that it's a grind. "Difficult" and "time-consuming" are not synonymous but for some reason people often convince themselves they are with regards to video games, I guess to feel like they're playing a challenging game instead of a game where you send a bee in a scarf to fight a four-armed wrestler who crumbles before the power of the fey.

And yes @RPS is right fairy is Best Type.

EDIT: TURNS OUT I'M NOT FINISHED RANTING~! There is a part of a Pokemon game that is legitimately challenging, and it comes when the game is over, when you've beaten the game and have shit to do like Battle Tower, and the QoL improvements and level candy and all of that... make this part better, too! I was able to get a newly hatched shiny Ribombee from level 1 to 100 in about an hour, maybe less than that, by bringing it along in battles and then stuffing its face with experience candy. It's easier to shape the natures of your Pokemon, their abilities, their stats, everything that you use to play the hard part of the game (Battle Tower, competitive play, etc.). So all of these quality of life improvements that take the grind out of the game and make it easy to bring the pokemon you want up to speed... are also quality of life improvements in the part of the game that is difficult, if that's your thing!

Edited by Sousa
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Sousa said:

There are elements of this new one (fixed high-level Pokemon in the Wild Area, Dynamax raids, some of the gym leaders like Raihan especially employing unusual strategies with weather), but really the challenge of Pokemon has never been that it's actually hard, it's that it's a grind. "Difficult" and "time-consuming" are not synonymous but for some reason people often convince themselves they are with regards to video games, I guess to feel like they're playing a challenging game instead of a game where you send a bee in a scarf to fight a four-armed wrestler who crumbles before the power of the fey.

And yes @RPS is right fairy is Best Type.

EDIT: TURNS OUT I'M NOT FINISHED RANTING~! There is a part of a Pokemon game that is legitimately challenging, and it comes when the game is over, when you've beaten the game and have shit to do like Battle Tower, and the QoL improvements and level candy and all of that... make this part better, too! I was able to get a newly hatched shiny Ribombee from level 1 to 100 in about an hour, maybe less than that, by bringing it along in battles and then stuffing its face with experience candy. It's easier to shape the natures of your Pokemon, their abilities, their stats, everything that you use to play the hard part of the game (Battle Tower, competitive play, etc.). So all of these quality of life improvements that take the grind out of the game and make it easy to bring the pokemon you want up to speed... are also quality of life improvements in the part of the game that is difficult, if that's your thing!

Pokemon would 100% benefit from new game plus. 

Anyone able to do a trade to help me evolve my Haunter?

Friend Code is 2338-0106-9381

5 hours ago, =BK= said:

Oh god Alolan Persian is ugly. I need to get a Kanto one.

There's somewhere in the game where you can trade a Galar Meowth for a Kanto one and you can get a Persian that way.

Persian is in the dex so you actually do need to do this.

Somebody traded me a Squirtle on the GTS!! It's name is in Japanese but I still have a Squirtle now! I deposited my ugly Persian just as a test and they took me up on it.

Also a Shinx for an Abra.

12 minutes ago, =BK= said:

Somebody traded me a Squirtle on the GTS!! It's name is in Japanese but I still have a Squirtle now! I deposited my ugly Persian just as a test and they took me up on it.

Also a Shinx for an Abra.

I believe in Gen 7 they let the names revert to English upon evolving, so when it becomes a Wartortle it should be back to Wartortle rather than the Japanese name.