Pokémon

PkmnTrainerJ

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was already quite excited - I think I played Ultra Sun all of once and just couldn't be arsed with Alola's bullshit so the change up looked good - but I think I'm definitely going to have to get it now. I've been debating a Switch for a while so I think I'm sold on getting one plus this for Christmas in an inevitable bundle deal.

20 hours ago, Jericode said:

Are we not gonna talk about how the rival is literally called Hop?

That was the main thing I took away from it. 

Hop.....

I only heard that this time around - they aren't allowing you to transfer in anything that isn't in the local dex. They said something along the lines of balancing over 800 Pokemon is hard to do... I was kind of expecting them to slowly push more Pokemon in post launch. I don't know if the future games thing is from anything or people just speculating? 

EDIT: Ah, here it is.

In an interview with USgamer, Junichi Masuda has reiterated that the volume of higher quality animations required due to the Nintendo Switch for such a large amount of Pokémon was a big part in their decision to cut connectivity with Pokémon not in the Galar Pokédex. With that, it also brought the balance of the competitive scene into the fold in order to make the best decisions and keep the competitive nature of the game which results in them going back to reevaluate the best selection. The quote from the interview is as follows 

There are a couple of different parts to the thinking behind it, but really the biggest reason for it is just the sheer number of Pokemon. We already have well over 800 Pokemon species, and there's going to be more added in these games. And now that they're on the Nintendo Switch, we're creating it with much higher fidelity with higher quality animations. But even more than that, it's coming down to the battle system. We're making sure we can keep everything balanced and give all the Pokemon that appear in the games a chance to shine. 
We knew at some point we weren't going to be able to indefinitely keep supporting all of the Pokemon, and we just found that Sword and Shield would probably be a good point to go back and reevaluate what would be the best selection of Pokemon that appeal to the widest audience while keeping into consideration the balance of the battle system. It isn't just going to be all-new Pokemon in the Galar region Pokedex; there's still going to be a lot of favorites that fans will be able to bring over that they've adventured with previously. But yeah, it was pretty much just balancing and getting this optimal selection of Pokemon for the adventure we wanted to provide.

• 1 month later...

My girlfriend runs a pretty decent Pokemon community on Discord if anyone is interested in joining. They do stuff like shiny hunts and battles, as well as talking about POGO events, news, and other stuff like that. She's definitely managed to get me back into the games with it all, including actually playing ones that aren't over 15 years old at this point :shifty:.

Link: https://discord.gg/SjKs2HH?fbclid=IwAR31mDbljN1vEyaQbUNjHy2iK902GvsaeHJjJ9IyfAD57JECNIoxymXCGb0

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jericode said:
  Hide contents

The shittest league though.

In terms of games, I'm grinding my way through the Alola dex on Ultra Sun at the moment. I miss when there were only 151 <_<

My daughter is playing Ultra Sun and she has caught so many Pokemon and she will ask "who is this ones name?" I know the original 151, but some of them I am like "fuck if I know"