Pokémon

PkmnTrainerJ

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Jerippon Marathon said:

Yeah the main series needs to stop holding your hand so much. Even just implement a difficulty feature to turn half of it off if need be.

I maintain they need a "Normal" and "Hard" mode for the game at this point in the series existence.

• Like 1

The thing about Pokemon is the basic JRPG mechanics of it are so straightforward that there are very few solutions that work as well as Grind More--which, again, is time-consuming, not difficult. Almost all of the game's problems can be solved by Grinding More and there's rarely an occasion where you have, say, the right held item (since almost all of those are doled out at endgame anymore) and shuffle it in and then get rewarded.

Ultra Sun/Moon is a great example because I think a lot of the battles have legitimately clever elements. Guzma starts with his Golisopod, which is super bulky but also has Emergency Exit, and if you don't kill it in one hit it Emergency Exits right out to Masquerain--a special attacker with Intimidate, so you may need to switch depending on your team. That was a legitimately interesting tactic, but I never found a solution to it better than Grind More with, for example, Vikavolt. Beyond that you get Totem battles that force you to take things on in interesting ways or try new tactics, like Kommo-o being set up basically to shit on Fairy types that could easily stop it, but the solution is still the same. Grind More.

Making the game harder without fundamentally changing what Pokemon is (i.e., not adding something like timed button presses or whatnot) would require looking at a few things like

* getting rid of Switch battle mode (which you can do anyway)
* limiting resources in some way since it's not really that hard to potion spam your way to victory most of the time
* improve enemy AI so they actually switch out of unfavorable matchups instead of only switching out when they can literally do nothing (something with only Normal or Fighting moves vs. a Ghost)
* and so on.

So basically it'd have to run more like stuff like Battle Maison and such.

Well, in Gen1 the solution to everything was just use psychic types because psychic was just so fucking broken in Gen1.

1 hour ago, OctoberRaven said:

Well, in Gen1 the solution to everything was just use psychic types because psychic was just so fucking broken in Gen1.

which is why Alolan Muk is a goddamn MONSTER in Let's Go tbh.

You get experience points from making captures, you then send your unneeded captured Pokémon to Professor Oak as per Pokémon Go, he gives you candies that boost the stats of whatever you're using. The harder the catch (and if you get a streak of catching the same Pokémon going) the more experience points get generated. It all goes to the six party Pokémon as well, not just one of them.

Be ready to buy an absolutely unreasonable amount of Ultra Balls.

The mechanics are weird. I'm not entirely sure how the multipliers work because sometimes I seem to line up a lot of them and nothing happens and then sometimes you just. Click all the tumblers in place and the Skinner box spits out something like this.

DumCpqTUUAAJIPK.jpg

Chaining Chansey seems to be one of the best ways to "grind" such as it is because she shows up almost everywhere and gives you higher EXP than usual. Chaining gives you experience bonuses and also increases the likelihood of finding perfect-IV pokemon and shinies.

The fact that you can actually SEE the pokemon in the wild actually makes it much, much easier to find/get shinies since you can see them running around. My oldest kid found a shiny Pidgeotto last night and I found this lovely lesbian ally the other night.

DulP-RJUUAAvgvY.jpg

Got this for Christmas! Just beat Misty (I had more difficulty with her now than when I did as a kid)... The game is a ton of fun. Decided to drop Pikachu from my team because I heard it's too strong. So currently I'm running:

-Mankey

-Ivysaur

-Nidorina

-Beedrill

-Magikarp (just levels off... Currently walking it. It's such a goof)

-Chansey

Not sure what will make my final team (Likely Cubone and Gengar?)... But these are the current go tos. Trying to change up going to the old favorites.

• 3 weeks later...

Managed to do a bunch of the new tier 5 raids over the past two days, only failed to catch one Kyogre and grabbed 5, which is handy as I know my sister wants one. Also picked up a shiny weather boosted Groudon and a standard one. 

Three of the raids I did were at a known ex raid gym, so here's hoping I can a pass to catch the attack form Deoxys.

The Feebas event yesterday was tragic. 3 hours running around Cardiff in the cold, more than 50 research tasks completed between me and my missus, and only 2 shinies to show for it (both on my account).

Plus side, I went out this morning and got her a shiny Wailmer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Sousa said:

They're actually announcing Pokemon Go to the Polls.

I read online it was actually Pokemon Go On Poles and the Pokemon get naked.