MMA News and Discussion Thread

White confirmed it will be Forrest Griffin defending vs. Rashad Evans. No date announced, though. But I am sure that even if UFC probably wanted Liddell to win, they can at least continue to shut up those haters of TUF (are there still any of them? I don't really read other MMA forums) with a battle of season 1 winner vs. season 2 winner for the Light Heavyweight title.

They're saying Griffin/Evans could be at UFC 92 in December.

Is Anderson Silva/Patrick Cote the main event of the October PPV? If so, thoughts on its chances of drawing the lowest buyrate in recent UFC history?

I've only seen the Liddell fight so far, will hopefully checking out the rest tonight. Is there anything worth going out of my way to watch? Observer radio seemed pretty down on the majority of the card this morning.

Nooo people will get it just for Anderson Silva. It's a shame that Yushin Okami was injured as i thought that would of drawn quite well what with Yushin having defeated Anderson but in dodgy circumstances but Cote's just going to get slaughtered. It was a crap fight with Almeida.

Liddell loosing is a blow to the UFC as they would of made tons of money from Liddell VS Griffin, Ultimate Fighter 1 Coach VS Ultimate Fighter 1 Winner.

I think Liddell's next opponent probably will be Shogun Rua as i can't really see anyone else they might match him with. I thought the only other possible alternative might of been possibly Silva VS Liddell II but with the rumors of Rampage fighting Silva than that kinda takes it out.

Is Anderson Silva/Patrick Cote the main event of the October PPV? If so, thoughts on its chances of drawing the lowest buyrate in recent UFC history?

Would've been better for a fight night, that's for sure. Although the rest of the card is decent enough!

I've only seen the Liddell fight so far, will hopefully checking out the rest tonight. Is there anything worth going out of my way to watch? Observer radio seemed pretty down on the majority of the card this morning.

Kampman/Marquadt was good. MacDonald/Lambert, Tavares/Pellegrino and Patt/Boetsch from the prelims - first two got honours, the latter was two larger guys duking it for a little while. Kim/Brown starts well - then trails. Henderson puts on a school, but it isn't that exciting -still good mind. I would recco Hamill/Franklin mind - did enjoy that.

Solidish card tbh!

I saw on MMAJunkie.com that Evan Tanner died yesterday.

Evan Tanner, a former UFC middleweight champion and one of MMA's most popular fighters, was found dead in the Palo Verde mountain area of California today.

He was 37 years old.

A friend of Tanner's told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that authorities have recovered his body. Kyria McBrayer, who also assisted the popular fighter with his "Team Tanner" fan/sponsorship club, said she received the unfortunate news today.

Calls to the Imperial County Sheriff's Office were not immediately returned, but according to published reports, a campsite, which included Tanner's motorcycle, was recently discovered. A sheriff's deputy then found Tanner's body when searching the mountain's Clapp Springs area.

The cause and other details of Tanner's death were not immediately known.

His friends last heard from Tanner this past Wednesday, Sept. 3. A search for Tanner began on Saturday, when temperatures in the area reached nearly 115 degrees, but the efforts initially yielded no results.

The Palo Verde mountain area is located in southern California near the Arizona border.

Tanner (32-8 MMA, 12-5 UFC), a Texas native who won state high school wrestling titles in both his junior and senior years, turned an MMA professional in 1997 and began his career with a stellar 19-1 record to earn his way into the UFC.

Tanner, who claimed he learned much of the sport from instructional tapes and DVDs, received his first UFC title shot in 2001 but suffered a quick first-round knockout to then-UFC light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz. However, after going 7-1 in his next eight fights and dropping to the middleweight division, Tanner defeated David Terrell for the organization's vacant 185-pound title in February 2005.

His championship reign would be a short one, though; Rich Franklin defeated Tanner in his very next fight.

After the loss, Tanner fought twice more for the organization before taking a nearly two-year break from competition. During the time away, Tanner began work on a charity to provide a home, training and support system for disadvantaged athletes, but he ultimately scrapped the idea soon after the home opened. Also during the break, Tanner authored a popular blog on his official website that discussed everything from his travels to the restoration of a sail boat to his battle with alcohol addiction.

In November 2007, though, Tanner confirmed he had signed a new four-fight deal with the UFC and was returning to competition. Tanner shunned corporate sponsorships and instead implemented Team Tanner, which allowed fans to sponsor him directly. Fans were rewarded with gear, memorabilia and other items depending on the amount paid.

Tanner fought twice after signing the deal. He suffered a knockout loss to Yushin Okami in March, and in his most recent fight, he headlined The Ultimate Fighter 7 Finale against "TUF 3" winner Kendall Grove. Tanner lost a close split decision at the June event, and MMAjunkie.com was later told he was trying to fight through injuries at the event.

Just prior to that most recent fight, Tanner became a blogger for Spike.com. The popular online journal chronicled all aspects of his life. His final post was dated Sept. 2.

In an Aug. 16 entry, Tanner discussed his plans to camp out in a California desert as a sort of a spiritual journey. Many readers voiced concern that he expected only to bring the bare necessities.

"I've been gathering my gear for this adventure for over a month, not a long time by most standards, but far too long for my impatient nature," Tanner wrote. "Being a minimalist by nature, wanting to carry only the essentials, and being extremely particular, it has been a little difficult to find just the right equipment. I plan on going so deep into the desert that any failure of my equipment could cost me my life."

In his final post last week, he talked about training at the Compound MMA camp in Oceanside, Calif., and surfing at the local beach.

We'll have more on this story as information becomes available.

I am going to buy the next UFC PPV almost solely for Anderson Silva. He is a freak it seems, and I want to see if anyone can stand up to him.

Your not going to find that anyone in Patrick Cote.

After all this, watch him punk out Silva in the first round <_<

I was thinking about that the other night. Imagine if it was Cote who caught Silva in a leg hook or something this time around.

I am going to buy the next UFC PPV almost solely for Anderson Silva. He is a freak it seems, and I want to see if anyone can stand up to him.

Your not going to find that anyone in Patrick Cote.

After all this, watch him punk out Silva in the first round <_<

I was thinking about that the other night. Imagine if it was Cote who caught Silva in a leg hook or something this time around.

It'd be really surprising and ironic for it to happen. Alas, I can't see it.

It'd be like Fedor getting beat by like Jorge Rivera or someone random.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

TSN.ca is running a story on Kimbo/Ken for some reason.

Taken from the Your Call section:

This organization is a joke....every pay per view they have it involves kimbo slice fighting old coming out of retirements has beens

>_<