MMA News and Discussion Thread

Why Are So Many MMA Fighters Conspiracy Truthers & Conspiracy Theorists?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's the repeated blows to the head. :shifty:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Bellator is currently on channel 5 in the UK.

I love how biased the commentators can be to upcoming stars, UFC are guilty of it too. Flashy KO artist Michael Page dances around for a minute, gets taken down and grinded for four minutes. One commentator calls it a 10-10 and the other says its a 10-9 Page because he rolled for an attempted kneebar.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Jordan Parsons becomes the first diagnosed case of CTE in MMA fighters:

He was only 25, but Jordan Parsons was a cage fighter, a professional mixed martial artist who on his best nights beat his opponents into submission. On his worst nights, Parsons was sent spiraling to the canvas by devastating blows to his head.

Now, six months after he was struck and killed as a pedestrian by an alleged drunken driver, Parsons is the first fighter in the multibillion-dollar MMA industry to be publicly identified as having been diagnosed with the degenerative brain disease known as chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE).

The diagnosis was disclosed to the Globe by Dr. Bennet Omalu, a forensic pathologist who first discovered CTE in a professional football player (in 2003) and a professional wrestler (2007).

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2016/10/20/first-case-cte-diagnosed-mma-fighter/SfUZnoh3Z1dT9xruTm95RO/story.html

16 hours ago, Rich said:

I thought Gary Goodridge had been diagnosed years ago?

Doctors are not yet able to diagnose CTE in a living person. As far as I know they can look at the symptoms and make a relatively accurate guess but they can't 100% confirm it until the patient dies and they can take a look at his/hers brain.

Edited by Hellraiser

1 hour ago, Hellraiser said:

Doctors are not yet able to diagnose CTE in a living person. As far as I know they can look at the symptoms and make a relatively accurate guess but they can't 100% confirm it until the patient dies and they can take a look at his/hers brain.

Well he has been diagnosed with dementia pugilistica, or however you spell it... which I thought was a form of CTE, ah well, I am probably wrong.

On 10/24/2016 at 19:18, Toe said:

Why is Chael Sonnen fighting Tito Ortiz? And why am I actually kinda OK with it?

We're talking about Bellator here. They also put on the Dada 5000/Kimbo Slice fight and 49-year-old Royce Gracie V 52-year-old Ken Shamrock earlier this year. Even someone with only very superficial MMA knowledge like me knows that they'll put on any freak show fight as long as it gets people to tune in.

Edited by Hellraiser

If Sonnen and Ortiz are fighting, at the very least they're fighting each other and not being fed to some young sharks who would tear them apart. Hope guys like Vitor fuck off there as well, at least I won't have to hear about how he's a top ten middleweight anymore.