MMA News and Discussion Thread

12 hours ago, Hellraiser said:

We're talking about Bellator here. They also put on the Dada 5000/Kimbo Slice fight and 49-year-old Royce Gracie V 52-year-old Ken Shamrock earlier this year. Even someone with only very superficial MMA knowledge like me knows that they'll put on any freak show fight as long as it gets people to tune in.

You'd think after Dada / Kimbo that they would shy away from this.

Tito and Chael are actual professional mixed martial artists though, not a pair of street fighters who think fight prep is going to McDonalds.

• 1 month later...

However, Jones could potentially earn over £50,000 for high-profile victories in the women's UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championships).

And with appearance fees and a share of ticket sales included, the potential prize-fund could more than double.

Lol, based on what. She could also just potentially earn like £50 million, because that's a number I can pull out of my ass. That's just saying figures for the sake of saying figures. Sound journalism.

Angela "Overkill" Hill on how she uses cosplay and gaming to deal with the stress of fights

I wasn't aware she likes to cosplay. Her Vault Dweller and Dhalsim cosplays look pretty good.

• 2 months later...

War Machine's defense in his trial for the attempted murder and rape of Christy Mack is that she had rape fantasies. Christ.

• 2 months later...

Did anyone catch the Cage Warriors show this past weekend?

Awesome show from Newport, and all three Welsh guys won on the main card. Lew Long beating Che Mills puts him in a great position to get a UFC call up this July in Glasgow. Bit disappointed I didn't go honestly, my schedule meant I wouldn't be there in time for the start, which is a shame, because they give the press great levels of access at their shows. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/8/2017 at 08:41, Broken Cloudy said:

War Machine's defense in his trial for the attempted murder and rape of Christy Mack is that she had rape fantasies. Christ.

Sentenced to life in prison.

Details are sketchy, but UFC Hall of Famer Matt Hughes was airlifted to an area hospital after a truck he was riding in was hit by a moving train earlier today according to what Dana White told ESPN.

White said he's been in contact with the family who were going to the hospital.

Hughes, 43, a two-time UFC welterweight champion who worked as an office liaison to the fighters until recently, was, according to White, believed to have suffered head trauma in the accident. White said that the accident took place when Hughes was helping out a friend. The issue is serious enough that White has canceled a trip to Paris for a public appearance.

Hughes, a two-time All-American wrestler at Eastern Illinois University, who fought from 1998 to 2011, ending his career with a 45-9 record, was best known for his fights with Georges St-Pierre, B.J. Penn, and Royce Gracie, as well as for the finish of his second fight with Frank Trigg, which is played in a video montage before the main card starts at almost every live UFC event. Hughes had of late expressed interest in a comeback.

After UFC, he also hosted two hunting related television shows.

I don't want to speculate but trucks don't tend to get hit by trains by accident. I hope he ends up OK.

Former UFC and King of the Cage competitor Tim Hague died of a brain hemorrhage. He was knocked out and suffered the hemorrhage during a boxing match against Adam Braidwood on June 16th, died two days later.

It was Bellator's biggest show of the year last night, I shouldn't have laughed when, in his pro debut after three years of Bellator hyping him as being the next mega star of MMA, Aaron Pico tapped out in 24 seconds against a nobody.

Also Matt Mitrione knocked out Fedor and Chael grinded a win over Wanderlei.

4 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

It was Bellator's biggest show of the year last night, I shouldn't have laughed when, in his pro debut after three years of Bellator hyping him as being the next mega star of MMA, Aaron Pico tapped out in 24 seconds against a nobody.

Also Matt Mitrione knocked out Fedor and Chael grinded a win over Wanderlei.

Mitrione knocked out Fedor in around a minute after both guys had dropped each other with a punch at the same time. Legitimately laugh out loud.