MMA News and Discussion Thread

• 2 months later...

Kimbo vs Dada was so bad you have to watch it.

Severn vs Shamrock at UFC 9 was actually more action-packed.

Dada 5000 has been in hospital since the event after collapsing both during and after the fight which resulted in his heart momentarily stopping.

He also had elevated potassium levels and renal failure which doctors are putting down to extreme weight cutting in the build up to the fight.

If Bellator keep running these kind of freak show fights then I'm very concerned somebody is going to die on live television and the whole sport of MMA will be affected.

• Like 2

Damn, now I feel bad about riffing on how that fight ended.

Hopefully that's a wake up call for extreme weight cutting. Your body just can't adjust to losing dozens of pounds over the course of a couple days. Granted getting kicked in the head or getting your arms broken isn't good for you either, but extreme weight cutting can kill you.

Hopefully Dada recovers. Damn.

I'm guessing that since Dada apparentally cut 40lbs to get to 265lbs and Kimbo only weighed in at 232lbs that Kimbo wouldn't agree to the fight if Dada was 300lbs.

Probably would have worked in his favour and Dada would have gassed in the first... :shifty:

I'm far from an expert in MMA, and don't watch it an awful lot at all any more, though try and keep up with Bellator out of a vague sense of loyalty to Liam McGeary. I had to watch this show.

I thought that Kimbo Slice vs. Da Da "Disappointingly Not A Robot" 5000 had to be the most embarrassing MMA fight I'd ever seen, until the shambles that was Shamrock/Gracie and Ken "World's Most Dangerous Man" Shamrock's ensuing temper tantrum.

Kimbo/Da Da was, obviously, a joke. I understand that, with UFC more or less having their pick of the sport's elite, smaller companies have to rely on Freak Show Fights to drum up any interest, but it was so jarring seeing the hype video for this vignette. Clips of backyard fights, and open acknowledgment that this was effectively two unskilled fighters in a legalised street fight. It's the exact thing that UFC worked very, very hard to distance the sport of MMA from.

Then, hilariously, we didn't even get the drag-out, heavy-hitting street fight that it was promoted as. While barbaric, I can see the appeal in that, absolutely. Instead we got the worst, sloppiest "grappling" I've ever seen, a second round comprised of two out of shape lunatics falling into each other, and then by the third round a trainwreck that at least came close to the kind of fight everyone was expecting, but was still one of ugliest, most cringeworthy things I've ever seen in MMA.

As for the main event - fair play to the hype, between the announcers, entrances and video package, they made this fight seem like the real deal. And then it happened. I actually laughed out loud when the announcer said it was Royce Gracie's first ever knock-out win. I know it's the nature of the beast, but even with the lowest of expectations, how quickly and pathetically this fight was over was just embarrassing. Hard to believe that it was the Kimbo fight that had allegations of rigging and match-fixing going into this show, and not this mess and its non-finish.

• 2 weeks later...