The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

Stop trollin than.

Not trolling in the slightest. Either in this thread or a thread dedicated to achievements:

"Hmmm, these achievement things, why do people play for them? They seem pointless."

"Actually, I like them alot and so do other people."

"I don't know, they seem stupid."

"They're just a bit of fun and can offer replay value."

*Additional 5 people jump in and conversation lasts for 3 pages.*

*2 weeks later*

"Yay! I got _____ trophy."

"Trophies? How quaint. You actually care about those things?"

"Actually, I like them...."

Rinse and repeat every few weeks. It's boring.

I higly doubt there is any epenis that is smaler than mine. At least aside from SC2.

Oh, look, it even still is in my Signature... (i never know whats in there because i got all sigs turned of ;-D )

I just notice that i can download the two free PSP games of the US Store. If someone throws a PSP Go at me i would not hesitate to pick it up and keep it. :-D Also got a cupple of PSX games, Legend of Mana is on the US Store, nice!

Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane

I don't know why, but I've never been as interested in trophies as I have achievements, I don't know if it's the point value, or just that I was collecting gamerscore before I got my PS3 and it's pointless keeping track of two entirely arbitary numbers.

I do kinda wish there was some kind of reward system for getting trophies. Maybe getting DLC or a small discount or even doing what Gamestop power rewards are doing but I don't have a problem since there are no negatives to having them.

Do the XBox achievements have any bigger reward system or is it the same as PS3 trophies?

I did used to think that'd be a good idea, but I imagine it'd raise massive concerns regarding hacking and piracy (which, incidentally is supposedly the reason PSP games don't have trophies).

I always find both have advantages and disadvantages. If it's a more completionist game like Dragon Age, where there's multiple options, or Final Fantasy, where there's tons of sidequests, then I'd prefer trophies. If it's a game I think I'm more likely to just want to play every now and again, probably with online achievements/trophies, I'd prefer them to be achievements so that I don't have to worry about getting all the goals in order to gain a platinum.

But people are still able to sink in houres of hours into a game like oblivion just to gather a bunch of rar krauts to mix a special drink you don´t even need to compleed the game.

Alundra also is on PSN, wen will i ever be able to play all of this. @_@

I expect Skyrim to have countless trophies. I'm wondering why they don't put up trophies for a lot of PSOne Classics, it'd honestly be a nice little bonus to go with playing a game I already own but can't play without buying a new console.

I don't think it's possible/easily done is probably why. I imagine modifying code in old arcade games to notify the PS3 when you've used a knife to kill someone instead of fists is a lot easier than modifying the code in say, Final Fantasy VII to tell the PS3 when you've collected and mastered every piece of materia.

Though I agree they'd be awesome. It'd finally give me some incentive to try and beat Ruby and Emerald if nothing else.

I expect Skyrim to have countless trophies. I'm wondering why they don't put up trophies for a lot of PSOne Classics, it'd honestly be a nice little bonus to go with playing a game I already own but can't play without buying a new console.

I don't think it's possible/easily done is probably why. I imagine modifying code in old arcade games to notify the PS3 when you've used a knife to kill someone instead of fists is a lot easier than modifying the code in say, Final Fantasy VII to tell the PS3 when you've collected and mastered every piece of materia.

Though I agree they'd be awesome. It'd finally give me some incentive to try and beat Ruby and Emerald if nothing else.

I heard the coding reason from another guy. I'm no expert but it sounds plausible. Sonic the Hedgehog 2, for example, has trophies so I assume it can be done in a lot of games if people choose but the more complex the game (read: FFVII) the harder it likely is to put in trophies. It'd be such a nice bonus though and I definitely think it'd help sales.

I haven't really spent much more time on it since last week but as I said then, it's basically a love letter to Zelda so if that sounds interesting then you should pick it up. Plus you can play as pretty much anything you want if you have the inclination to draw it or if someone else already has. Just a matter of USB'ing it across to your PS3, something I haven't tried yet though. I think I will look up some new characters to play as for when I go back to it.

People got upset when Metal Gear Solid 4 didn't come with trophies. Not me, I was excited about playing the game.

This is the only thing that bothers me about trophies; the fact that some people are willing to pass up games because they're not going to be rewarded for playing.