The Old Nintendo Megathread

zero

I'm down with that.

The problem with Ice Ice Outpost (and, to be honest, Yoshi Circuit, which has nothing going for it beyond "track shaped like Yoshi") is that it's sitting alongside six tracks that are totally incredible. Rainbow Road seems to be bigger (and therefore less claustrophobic) but it's still Rainbow Road. Wario's Gold Mine was the best track in Mario Kart Wii. And all four of the other new tracks are tremendous. The Master Cycle is probably my new favorite bike, which sucks because I suspect everyone is using Link now.

I'd still like to see them fix battle mode, but I never played it much anyway.

That's the only big complaint about the DLC I have, saying that the original Rainbow Road was only designed for 8 racers on the same track so it makes sense to make it a little wider to accommodate more players but it really loses the whole point of it being in the game if they're going to gimp it like that by making it super wide. There's already two Rainbow Roads in the game so making an easy mode one is silly.

Excite Bike and F-Zero are absolutely fantastic though, and Yoshi's track is great if only because there's barely any tracks in the game with as many quick curves so it's great for ruining other people's fun.

Wario's Gold Mine is superb, absolutely love it. I'm probably better at that than any other track in-game, and it's a lot of fun. I have no problem with SNES Rainbow Road; it's not as tricky as the other two, and probably not as fun as N64 Rainbow Road, but it's still a classic track, and a hell of a lot of fun to play online when everyone's using well-timed red shells and drifting round corners all at the same time, it can lead to some fun chaotic messes.

Love the new tracks, Hyrule turning coins into rupees is one of those little things only Nintendo would do.

Grabbed Hyrule Warriors during Target's Buy 2, Get 1 deal since they didn't have Bayonetta and I have no clue what I'm doing. I've never played Dynasty Warriors, so that doesn't help, but I'm downright puzzled.

Is it wrong that I'm thinking about buying my step daughter a Wii-U mainly because I want to play it? The new Zelda game looks pretty awesome. Not to mention Super Smash Brothers, and it's probably the best chance of a system that will have JRPG games released on it.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with getting a Wii U right now given that it has the largest number of exclusives and good games of any current gen console as of now (which will obviously change by the end of the gen), and depending on the age of your step daughter you could just remove the tablet and she'd be unable to break everything by purchasing something from the store or updating the console.

Just think up a list of games you'd be willing to play before you get it, never buy a console just for one or two games.

She's actually 16 and she's probably a bigger gaming nerd than I am. She's into stuff like Pokemon, Zelda, Pikman, Mario and much like me, any JRPG game that she can find so she'd probably get more use out of it than me (I have a PS4) but she doesn't show an interest in it at this point in time. I think that would change though if the system was actually here.

Is it wrong that I'm thinking about buying my step daughter a Wii-U mainly because I want to play it? The new Zelda game looks pretty awesome. Not to mention Super Smash Brothers, and it's probably the best chance of a system that will have JRPG games released on it.

Ehhhhhh.......not really. If you want JRPGs, you want the PS4. That's one of the reasons I went with it.

Ehhhhhh.......not really. If you want JRPGs, you want the PS4. That's one of the reasons I went with it.

There are currently no JRPG's on the PS4, Ruki! :P

I mean, there's not on the Wii U either, but Xenoblade is apparently out next year.

There are currently no JRPG's on the PS4, Ruki! :P

I mean, there's not on the Wii U either, but Xenoblade is apparently out next year.

"Will" is the keyword in that sentence. And while there are none on the JRPGs on the PS4 at the moment, it is getting Persona 5 next year which beats any other JRPG out there, hands down.

Sounds like she'd love it then, what with Nintendo releasing basically all of those games except Pokemon for the system.

The only thing that might drag it down is that bar Xenoblade I don't think there's any JRPG games coming out for the Wii U, and the Wii was similarly barren for JRPGs

Apart from Last Story, which was probably the best JRPG of the last ten years.

Sounds like she'd love it then, what with Nintendo releasing basically all of those games except Pokemon for the system.

The only thing that might drag it down is that bar Xenoblade I don't think there's any JRPG games coming out for the Wii U, and the Wii was similarly barren for JRPGs

Apart from Last Story, which was probably the best JRPG of the last ten years.

Not when Ni no Kuni is a thing, no sir!

Not that either has much competition outside of Xenoblade and Bravely Default. I think I'd give the title to Bravely Default if the last like, four chapters weren't super repetitive.

My I preordered Super Smash Bros because I had some old games to get rid of and EB Games was giving increased incentives for trade ins. Apparently they are doing a midnight release party for it. Now I can't shake the desire in my head to go. :(

• Like 1

Do it. Did it for GTA, I'll do it for this one later tonight.

It defies all logic to do it, but it excites me to have something I'm looking forward to the first moment I can. To actually hold a new thing seconds after it's released to the masses is cool to me.

The moments beforehand are what it's like to be a Braves, Cubs or Cowboys fan. There's hope, elation, and in most games' cases, disappointment and rejection after a few weeks. Smash, however, is more like being a Spurs or Broncos fan. You know you'll be invested and enjoying it months from now.