Worst Football player signed by your club

The Future

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh and any Liverpool fan who comes in here and doesn't say Sean Dundee loses. I mean, he claimed he was as fast as Michael Owen (back when Owen was able bodied). Sean Dundee was a hangman legend by the time I finished school between my friends and me.

I think you'll find most Liverpool fans have blocked him out of their memory. If he was a professional footballer then I'm a grape.

Owen Morrison was pretty crappy for us. We picked him up after both Wednesday (and I think Hull) fired him for being a bit of a twat. I saw him come on against Brighton and have 1 good run - and he did bugger all after that the rest of the time he was with us.

Bobby Zamora

:o Lies. Zamora is awesome. We'll gladly have him back if you buy him from Fulham and give him to us for free... :shifty:

As for Rovers... despite the fact he cost us nothing as he came through as a trainee, he still signed a contract, so he still counts as a signing. The legendary Lewis Haldane. The Welsh wizard. He can play on the left, or the right, or up front. Just not for us.

He's so good, he even played for Wales. Under-21's. Once. As a substitute. And he looks like he belongs in Boyzone.

As far as Arsenal goes (my adopted Premiership team when I was a kid and had no local teams to support), it's gotta be John Jensen, surely? Francis Jeffers too, not because he was terrible, but because we paid £8m for his mediocrity. Remi Garde, David Grondin, Nelson Vivas, Sylvinho... Stephan Malz, Gilles Grimaldi... For such a footballing genius, Wenger did make some horrific signings in the early years. Can't really argue with Fabregas on a free transfer and Toure for £175k though, can you?

Edited by Farmer Reil

I actually agree with Dan here - Haldane isn't a bad player. Haldane has the problem of being as thick as shit. At the level of League One and possible the top half of League Two, he's a little out of depth for a first team player. But he's a good squad player and lower down the league he's a good man to have.

The issue I think most Gasheads take with him is that he's had so many years where he's been living on potential, now it's at the stage of him being 23 and us all wondering - is it time to admit he's not going to fulfil this potential we speak of?

As far as our worst players? Ian Atkins and Ray Graydon managed to concoct a team full of them. However, Atkins to his credit brought some better players in, so it's mostly a selection of Graydon's retards we have hope for. I think we have been generally lucky in terms of our signings. We've had more umbrage taken with the management rather than the playing staff. However, the periods around 2000-2004 produced some poor players.

My personal choice for worst player has to be Jefferson Louis. As a striker, he didn't do a great deal of scoring. This is how great he is: in the period of 2005, he played for Woking, Bristol Rovers, Hemel Hempstead, Lewes, Worthing and Stevenage Borrough. He didn't score a lot of goals. He also didn't play a lot - something you can take as either too shit or not given a chance.

I just personally never rated the guy.

Maybe I'm going crazy, but John Jensen was good, and didn't deserve to be in Reilly's Arsenal list. Well...at least he was for Denmark.

My pick goes to Chris Baird. Seriously, last year he was worse than Titus Bramble, but just had a much lower profile. Awful.

When Neil Warnock went through a phase of signing every striker in existance, we had such "talents" as Laurens Ten Heuvel (barely played, did nothing) and Iffy Onoura (played the first third of a season, was shit, got dropped and sold).

For waste of money, John Ebbrell, who played 45 minutes, got injured and retired after a reasonable transfer fee, and Jon O'Connor who signed, barely played for two years and was on huge wages for the entire time.

More recently, there was a defensive midfielder that Bryan Robson signed, he was awful and we sold him to QPR after only a couple of months, but I can't remember his name for the life of me. EDIT - Research tells me it was Mikele Leigertwood.

And remembered another Warnock gem, Axel Smeets, a foreign )a Belgian IIRC) right winger, missed an open goal on his debut, and generally had a crap game, I never actually saw him play for us again, but apparently he didn't improve and got moved on.

They'll be plenty from the Warnock era, his policy was to sign EVERYONE and hope some were decent.

Edited by timmayy Aaron XXIV