The England thread

I think it's more to do with Sterling not being used to playing at Premier League pace for a whole season yet. He's 18 years old, basically he has been rested from the first team so he isn't overexposed and so he doesn't get burnt out, which does happen to players.

Oscar's first season at this level too and he isn't much older. I can understand resting him a little, no reason to not play for the u21s though.

Oscar is who I meant in my initial post, not Hazard.

And because he injured his thigh.

He's fit now, though. Pretty sure that was only a minor injury, and he'd been rested before that.

We didn't give Michael Owen any time to rest, and he was of a comparable frame and pace to Sterling. We all know what happened there.

Yeah, for 8 million.

Rodgers has pretty much rested or dropped Suso, Sterling, Shelvey and co. since January because of fears of burnout.

Sterling was pretty obviously burnt out by January.

England squad to play Rep Ireland & Brazil:

Foster, Hart, McCarthy;

Baines, Cahill, Cole, Jagielka, Johnson, Jones, Lescott, Walker

Carrick, Cleverley, Lampard, Milner, Oxlade-Chamberlain Walcott;

Carroll, Defoe, Rooney, Sturridge, Welbeck

No idea what Defoe's done to deserve a call-up. Lescott, either. No Scotty P :( Wanna see Sturridge start up top. 10 goals in 13 games is a huge return.

Yeah, after the last few months, I'd have happily seen Gabby given another shot in the squad. I dunno, but for friendlies, we should give people who are on form the chance to show what they can do, instead of calling up players who are out of form, or don't play for their clubs. I get it if we wanna do it for Qualifiers, but these are friendlies after all.

Why has Leon Osman been dropped? Call me biased but he's been in good form recently.

I really thought Hodgson taking over would lead to a refreshing change in England's style and who he selects but no, same as always let's have all the players from the big teams. Aside from two of the goalkeepers (an area where he has no choice but to select others) every single player plays for a top 7 club.

Why has Leon Osman been dropped? Call me biased but he's been in good form recently.

I really thought Hodgson taking over would lead to a refreshing change in England's style and who he selects but no, same as always let's have all the players from the big teams. Aside from two of the goalkeepers (an area where he has no choice but to select others) every single player plays for a top 7 club.

Hey, Andy Carroll does count as an actual player too, ya know!