The England thread

Did anyone else find Townsend's commentary after Sterling fouled a defender leaving him on a stretcher hilarious? I know he's one eyed, but to ignore absolutely everything he was seeing to focus on Sterling 'being more careful late on in games so he doesn't hurt himself' was bordering on parody.

I find his England bias really odd considering he is as Irish as a Leprechaun shaped Emerald floating in a pint of Guiness...

• Admin

England manager Roy Hodgson will be forced to make changes for Tuesday's friendly with Italy in Turin.

Raheem Sterling and James Milner are out with toe and knee injuries respectively, while Leighton Baines also misses the trip.

Danny Welbeck is also unlikely to be involved as he picked up a knee injury in the 4-0 win over Lithuania .

Southampton's Ryan Bertrand has been called up but England will still only have 17 outfield players on duty.

"We'll be short of a few players for a game that means a lot to us and to me," said Hodgson, who had spells in Italy as manager of Inter Milan and Udinese.

He confirmed an agreement had previously been made with Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers for Sterling, who scored England's third goal on Friday night, to return to Merseyside after the Lithuania game.

"Raheem needs an injection in his foot to help him get through the rest of the season," said Hodgson.

Although Welbeck is yet to be officially ruled out of Tuesday's game, it is highly unlikely the Arsenal forward, who scored his sixth goal in five Euro 2016 qualifiers against Lithuania, will be involved.

"He has a tweak to the knee," said Hodgson. "The medical staff give me the impression they're not terribly worried about it, but that Tuesday may be too soon."