General Television Thread

Hellfire

Even though I have to both finish Jessica Jones Season 1 and rewatch Sneaky Pete Season 1 to catch up with what's being released this weekend, I can't stop watching Billions. It does what House of Cards thought it was good at. It's possible it burns out too but so far I'm enjoying it more than even the best parts of House of Cards. 

EDIT: The sooner David Costabile wins an Emmy, the better.

Edited by livid

Jesus Christ, did Netflix release season 3 of Love today as well? What, did they think that people would be done with Jessica Jones already?

I'm seriously starting to hate this "release an entire season in one day" shit. It's giving me anxiety.

Yeah, it was fine at first, but it's just turned into a chore lately. Worst thing is that if you don't watch it as quick as possible, there's the chance you're going to run into spoilers, which is what can easily happen with something as popular as one of the Marvel shows or Stranger Things.

It's a good thing Love goes by largely unnoticed, but I love that show and so want to binge that this weekend instead of JJ :( 

It's not just on here, a lot of entertainment websites have them too. Not to mention there's just people that'll be talking about it at random times in real life, I got a big GOT moment spoiled for me last year when two people from another completely different company were talking about it in the elevator :( 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Benjamin said:

Yeah, it was fine at first, but it's just turned into a chore lately. Worst thing is that if you don't watch it as quick as possible, there's the chance you're going to run into spoilers, which is what can easily happen with something as popular as one of the Marvel shows or Stranger Things.

It's a good thing Love goes by largely unnoticed, but I love that show and so want to binge that this weekend instead of JJ :( 

That's crazy, cos I haven't watched Daredevil S2 / The Defenders / Iron First OR Strangers Things 2 and couldn't tell you about what's happened in any of them, except there's a rubbish episode of ST in the 2nd season which everyone agrees is quite bad. 

Sort-of on that note, should I watch The Defenders before jumping on on Jessica Jones? Gotta say, JJ is the only Marvel series I've really loved, so have a little less enthusiasm for the rest, especially after Luke Cage. Would be interested in doing The Defenders, but hadn't watched Iron Fist.

Yeah I've only watched season 1 of Daredevil and 1 episode of Jessica Jones, and all I'm aware of that's coming up is that the Punisher will appear and eventually the Defenders will form, otherwise I know nothing. I can buy Game of Thrones (though that said again I've only seen season 1 and am only aware of vague concepts like red wedding. No idea what it is...) and mebbe Stranger things, but I don't see many people randomly chatting about the Marvel shows. 

There's definitely an argument that so much good TV these days means that "are you watching x" conversations at work are usually met with a "nope", but I'll take that with so much good stuff to watch. Not that I'll ever get through it all, we've only just almost caught up with Handmaid's Tale. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

That's crazy, cos I haven't watched Daredevil S2 / The Defenders / Iron First OR Strangers Things 2 and couldn't tell you about what's happened in any of them, except there's a rubbish episode of ST in the 2nd season which everyone agrees is quite bad. 

I liked it. :(

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

Sort-of on that note, should I watch The Defenders before jumping on on Jessica Jones? Gotta say, JJ is the only Marvel series I've really loved, so have a little less enthusiasm for the rest, especially after Luke Cage. Would be interested in doing The Defenders, but hadn't watched Iron Fist.

I feel knowing what happened in The Defenders is pretty imperative for what comes after. It's basically the 'The Avengers' of the Netflix Marvel continuity, all four heroes teaming up to save New York from destruction. Whilst The Avengers was arguably easier to get into even without having seen CapAm1, IM1/2, and Thor 1, but with the Netflix shows a lot of shit happens and is brought back in the Defenders that pertains to the story.

I'm almost certain that JJ S2 will touch up on what happened in The Defenders, and will deliver some big 'spoilers' (Are it spoilers when it's a chronological continuation of the same continuity?) about what happened in The Defenders.

There's some discussion in the MCU TV thread about the merits of every show in terms of needing to watch it or not, where most people agree that Iron Fist is the weakest show due to a weakly defined main character with a one-track mind "I'm the Immortal Iron Fist, the  protector of K'un-Lun, and sworn enemy of the hand." ad-nauseum.

Either way, check out those threads for general advice for what you need/want to watch, spoiler tags apply so you don't need to be afraid of walking face-first into spoilers.

Edited by Jasonmufc

Binged the last 6 episodes of AHS: Cult last night and after it was all said and done instantly I thought to myself it'll be a shame that we'll probably never get Evan Peters as Lex Luthor either on television or in a Superman movie. The guy put on a tour de force as the megalomaniac cult leader and would be politician. 

Nickelodeon is rebooting another one of its former hits.

The Viacom-owned cable network is in early discussions to reboot sitcom Clarissa Explains It All, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

The reboot would see former star Melissa Joan Hart reprise her role as Clarissa Darling, only this time, she would play the mother of the family. Series creator Mitchell Kriegman is also in talks to return to write and exec produce. Hart will also exec produce via her Hartbreak Films banner, which she runs with her mother, TV producer Paula Hart. Nickelodeon declined comment as deals with both Hart and Kriegman are not done. The project, sources say, is in early development at Nickelodeon.

edit: lol i just learned Melissa Joan Hart is a republican and libertarian.

On March 17, 2018 at 02:24, K said:

edit: lol i just learned Melissa Joan Hart is a republican and libertarian.

She did star in God's Not Dead 2. So her being conservative didn't come as a surprise to me.

Edited by Hellraiser

just had to unfollow Terry Crews on twitter because he's retweeting pretty much every tweet about the latest Brooklyn 99 episode, including a whole lot of what happens in it.

11 hours ago, K said:

just had to unfollow Terry Crews on twitter because he's retweeting pretty much every tweet about the latest Brooklyn 99 episode, including a whole lot of what happens in it.

I don't tend to follow people I like from active TV shows for that reason. On Instagram it's not so bad actually, but Twitter you're just asking for loads of spoilers unfortunately.