General Television Thread

Hellfire

So yeah Elementary

What the hell? Why have Moriarty be Irene Adler? I get it's supposed to be a different take on the canon and all that and i got on board with "Watson being a chick" thing but it seems a bit out there to have two big characters in the Sherlock universe to be one and the same

Personally, I thought it was a good twist on canon and I'm really glad that they just got Moriarty's identity out of the way in the first season, instead of dragging out the whole "WHO IS MORIARTY?!?!" ordeal throughout the series.

Plus there's a lot more weight in finding out that hey, that girl you loved? Turned out she was using you the whole time. That's going to be something that fucks with Sherlock the rest of the series.

I watched the first episode of The Chicago Code - and yeah, the post made earlier about it was head on. It's nothing offensive but there were instantly a few things that kind of threw me off:

a) Voiceovers as a plot device. I hate them, I hate them, I hate them. They're lazy in shows like this.

b) "Hey, lets make sure everyone has a quirk from day one"

The whole thing about the quirk is something that I've noticed in shows over the past few years. It's kind of irritating.

I was taught to do the quirk thing in my screenwriting class. I don't do it, but it's a pretty well-known way to establish every character quickly and easily and, to be frank, a lot of writers are hacks.

So yeah Elementary

What the hell? Why have Moriarty be Irene Adler? I get it's supposed to be a different take on the canon and all that and i got on board with "Watson being a chick" thing but it seems a bit out there to have two big characters in the Sherlock universe to be one and the same

Personally, I thought it was a good twist on canon and I'm really glad that they just got Moriarty's identity out of the way in the first season, instead of dragging out the whole "WHO IS MORIARTY?!?!" ordeal throughout the series.

Plus there's a lot more weight in finding out that hey, that girl you loved? Turned out she was using you the whole time. That's going to be something that fucks with Sherlock the rest of the series.

I thought it was pretty great too. I thought the character was pretty one-note at first but when she switched into Moriarty mode...so great. Dormer was fantastic in the role too so any criticism for making that happen just falls on deaf ears for me.

I do think there was something slightly off with the pacing of the episode but it was two hours long so that's a bit expected. It was a great episode overall, though and wrapped up an surprisingly great first season. A year ago, I think I would've kicked you in the nuts had you suggested that Elementary would end up being the best new show of the year.

Don't get me wrong i didn't dislike her portrayal as Adler/Moriarty it just was a bit shocking for shock sake if you understand what i mean. No doubt next season should be great though. I agree that Elementary is the best new show on air. Even Vinnie Jones is/was great in it. Johnny Lee Miller deserved an Emmy.

Elementary.

Holy shit Elementary. What a fucking show. God damn that was a great twist. In no way was that a twist for the sake of a twist, that's been pretty obviously planned the entire time and jesus did it pay off, I didn't see it coming at all. I'm curious as to where they go with it now though. Moriarty is kind of the big bad of Sherlock Holmes lore, it's like taking down the Smoke Monster in the first season of Lost. How do you top that? I hope they find a new season long story for the second season, the way this show plays out like a procedural but then has 1-3 episodes every so often that build on a central story is fantastic. An Occult themed season might be a bit out there, but I'd love to see an adaption of a modern day Crowley.

• Like 1

The list thing does let up, yes.

You need to disassociate yourself with thinking that this is even remotely like Smallville's Green Arrow.

I did, ages ago. But most Green Arrow's I'm familiar with are kind of fun. Just not this one.

I'll stick around till Deathstroke, no matter how long it takes.

I mean, it's not The Cape. I'll give it that much.

I probably should've originally said to disassociate yourself from the canon because they're putting their own stamp on it. But it's not even close to being The Cape so stop that.

I probably should've originally said to disassociate yourself from the canon because they're putting their own stamp on it. But it's not even close to being The Cape so stop that.

I never said it was! I'm just disappointed that it's so serious all the time and not more fun.

You clearly haven't seen a CW show in awhile then. There are moments of fun in their series but fun just isn't going to be a part of the show's overall mandate.

I dunno, Supernatural and Smallville are fun. But I guess those are quite old shows for CW.

Yeah their focus has changed the past few years and honestly, for the better. I mean, The Vampire Diaries is pretty fun just because of how quickly they burn through storyline beats but other than that, fun isn't what they're really aiming for.