General Television Thread

Hellfire

I've finally watched Sherlock!

I still prefer Elementary, but this is fantastic. Some of the lesser cast members are horribly cast though. I've always said, with english actors you don't really get an in between - there's no okay or decent ones. They're either really good or really shit. Maybe it's just the fact that I'm british and did acting, the slightest bit of overacting becomes horribly obvious.

I haven't seen him yet! Only just finished the first episode and started the second. I'm quite impressed with Cumberbatch, I've heard all the hype but the first time I saw him was Star Trek and he was wonderful in that, but not a groundbreaking performance I'd hoped for. This is just fantastic though, lives up to the hype every bit. I don't think I even need to say how good Freeman is, either.

Just about finished episode 2. Not so keen on this one, the melodrama of the chinese smugglers was really stupid. Hope the rest are more like the first than the second.

Arrow finale was pretty nuts. Didn't think they'd have the balls to end it like that.

Right? It'll be interesting to see how they'll handle Season 2.

My new name is evidence of the greatness that is The West Wing.

After Earth looks pretty good to be honest. With M Night Smalalaladingdong though i fully expect there to be a pointless twist.

Jaden is Wills Dad, and one or both of them is a ghost.

Naw, didn't buy Moriarty at all.

He was good as the gay guy who is then revealed to be a bad guy, but when he is just Moriarty, he's too campy and over-the-top for me to buy it. Maybe if it was something else, but in this, when everybody else is pretty much playing it straight, I couldn't get into it.

He was good as the gay guy who is then revealed to be a bad guy, but when he is just Moriarty, he's too campy and over-the-top for me to buy it. Maybe if it was something else, but in this, when everybody else is pretty much playing it straight, I couldn't get into it.

Yeah, I'm 100% with Kong on this one.

Way too over the top. I felt like I was watching a Panto at times. I much prefered it when I thought Mycroft was Moriarty.

I just found out Louie isn't returning untill 2014 :mellow:
Any other comedies apart from Wilfred to look out for during this summer?

Kongman speaks the truth.

I guess halfway since season two of Touch, when it was getting one man army Territory" Fox just decided "You know what? Fuck it. We already have the one man army thing down, it suits Kiefer, lets just bring 24 back"

About halfway through the first season of Bates Motel, which Short Girl has been adamant I watch. A few thoughts:

E1:

Nicely established characters, if not your typical stash-the-body type thing. First tip of BM: don't ask questions about how they did this or that. Those all get swept away by 'this town be crazay'.

E2:

I want to meet whoever suggested the sex slave subplot and punch them. Sex sells and we need villains, though, so yay for crudely drawn bondage pictures and human trafficking!

Separately, Emma is nice and I want nothing bad to happen to her. Bradley seems wooden, but apparently we're going with the thought that Norman, in fact, has game. First it was Michael Cera and now it's this kid. Writers of Hollywood, stop trying to tell us men that awkward pasty boys with no chins are the in thing. This is not the Age of No Chin!

E3:

Norma is a damned stubborn idiot, Dylan's the closest to normal, and yay more sex slave subplot! Little convenient that now almost everyone is tied together someone (Emma/Norman/Norma/Shelby/Dylan to the pot field/slave shed, meanwhile Bradley appears to be transforming into My Chemeical Gaga.)

E4:

Norma is a damned stubborn idiot who has now been given every possible out, I prefer to think of Shelby as Mark Paul Gosselaar after his football career fizzled, Emma's dad probably enjoys fava beans and a nice chianti, Dylan remains the closest thing to normal which means he probably has a third eye somewhere on his head and Norman still got game, ya'll. Legitimately laughed out loud when Norman & Bradley hooked up and the cops were waiting to arrest Norma. Interesting that the roles are somewhere reversing with Norman smothering Norma now. Nice callback to the previous episode with Norma clicking the pen whenever she's nervous.

It's straddling that fine line between twisting and American Horror Story, but episode four has been the best thus far (first episode close behind). The less of that subplot, the better, but I suspect I'm going to be beaten over the head with it through the next six episodes.

And if anything happens to Emma, I riot.

Stick with it. It gets good. And fast.

I was tempted to drop it after the third episode, but I think I'll at least give this season a shot. Wife spoiled that

Shelby and one other character gets off'd

which I'm completely fine with. Hoping that the Sheriff continues his strong performance, Emma's dad gets a moment, and Norma is somehow stricken with polio >_>

Bates Motel gets better the moment you mentally divorce it from anything Hitchcock-related.

My thoughts mirror yours pretty much exactly though.

I think they've done a good enough job recreating the motel and setting it up that Norman and Norma are a bit closer than most without going too far. The Norma/Norman dynamic is still the best thing about the show, despite her providing most of the unintentional humor.

I guess halfway since season two of Touch, when it was getting one man army Territory" Fox just decided "You know what? Fuck it. We already have the one man army thing down, it suits Kiefer, lets just bring 24 back"

I'm only up to episode 2 and he's already pushed a guy out of the way of a hail of bullets and said 'Dammit!' twice. I wonder if I can just do a 24 rewatch without the missus knowing the difference.