General Television Thread

Hellfire

Re: How I Met Your Mother Finale

What a bunch of fucking horseshit. 9 years and that's how it ends. Fuck you, Carter Bays and Craig Thomas. Count me officially out on How I Met Your Father.

I can't believe this shit. The creators basically stuck up a middle finger to every fan of the show the last 9 years. This is the most pissed off I've ever been at a TV show. Ruins the entire thing for me.

Re: How I Met Your Mother Finale

What a bunch of fucking horseshit. 9 years and that's how it ends. Fuck you, Carter Bays and Craig Thomas. Count me officially out on How I Met Your Father.

I can't believe this shit. The creators basically stuck up a middle finger to every fan of the show the last 9 years. This is the most pissed off I've ever been at a TV show. Ruins the entire thing for me.

The Seinfeld finale has finally been topped. Awful.

Oh God this sounds incredible. Someone tell me what happened please.

Robin and Barney divorce in 2016 (rendering the whole s9 useless because all it did was build to their wedding), Ted and the Mother inexplicably don't get married until 2020, then to top it off, she dies in 2024. The story cuts to 2030 and Ted's kids tell him he told the story to them because he's in love with Aunt Robin, yadda yadda, series ends with Ted and the blue french horn at Robin's house. Might as well have called the series "How I met your mother but really I've loved Aunt Robin more all along"

Other stupid shit happens like Barney having a kid with someone we see for 5 seconds, but the gist of it is that HIMYM is a shame and 9 seasons were ruined in 60 minutes.

• Like 1

What happened

So, Barney and Robin get divorced 3 years after their wedding. Marshall becomes a Judge. Robin loses touch with the gang. At some point, the mother gets sick and dies in 2024. At the point where Ted is telling his kids the story, they deduce it's his way of trying to let them know that he's interested in Robin and they're all for it. The last shot is old Ted showing at Robin's apartment with the blue french horn. The kid's reaction was filmed when they were still young, so this has been the plan for years.

• Like 1

Robin and Barney divorce in 2016 (rendering the whole s9 useless because all it did was build to their wedding), Ted and the Mother inexplicably don't get married until 2020, then to top it off, she dies in 2024. The story cuts to 2030 and Ted's kids tell him he told the story to them because he's in love with Aunt Robin, yadda yadda, series ends with Ted and the blue french horn at Robin's house. Might as well have called the series "How I met your mother but really I've loved Aunt Robin more all along"

Other stupid shit happens like Barney having a kid with someone we see for 5 seconds, but the gist of it is that HIMYM is a shame and 9 seasons were ruined in 60 minutes.

What happens to Barney and Marshall's girlfriend (Lily? Lizzy? Something like that) in the end? Barney just has a kid and that's it?

What happens to Barney and Marshall's girlfriend (Lily? Lizzy? Something like that) in the end? Barney just has a kid and that's it?

Barney makes a new playbook and is chasing after women half his age well into his 40s, so he basically regressed back to s1 Barney after he gets divorced from Robin. Marshall becomes a judge in 2018, and eventually runs for State Supreme Court (I believe). Marshall and Lily also have a 3rd kid, but we don't find out anything else about Lily.

I still don't know how I feel about it entirely. I only really started watching it regularly over the last 3 seasons, but I've caught up on some of the earlier episodes since then. If you were one who wanted Ted and Robin to end up together, I guess you got your wish and it brings things full circle like Ross and Rachel ending up together at the end of Friends, but at least that made sense in the story they were telling. But they built up this whole series about how he met the mother (you know the title of the show), how it wasn't supposed to be Robin all along, but someone else, and the last few episodes were about Ted finally letting go of Robin and getting closure there. I guess they couldn't call the show How I Met Your Aunt Robin and then 8 Years Later Met Your Mother Before She Died and I Got Together with Robin again, but still.....

After a happy wedding to end last week's show, that ends in divorce 20 minutes in, Robin falls out of the group for a while and Barney has a kid with a random girl. Ted finds happiness with the mother, and they get married after 5 years...... but oh no, sorry she dies a couple years later, so here's Robin again. If they wanted it to be Robin all along, don't built up all this anticipation for the mother when she had a pretty minor role all along in the story. Though its kind of the opposite and kind of the same outcome, this would be like Friends building up all those years that Ross was in love with Rachel, then in the finale, he gets together with Phoebe instead (or Rachel got together with Joey, which people hated when they tried that). Yeah, Ted still had feelings for Robin all these years, but it was built up that he had to get over her and meet someone he had even more in common with and it would be different that the obvious outcome of Friends, but nah just kidding, Ted ends up with Robin anyway.

Though they were obviously two vastly different stories in different genres, the concept of there being a mystery that gets solved in the finale is like a show mentioned earlier in this thread, Monk. So imagine after all the buildup if they had Monk or someone else in the core group end up being the one who killed his wife. It would be a disappointing conclusion to a question that hung over the entire series. I was happy with the way Monk ended for the record, but I had my fears that they would do something stupid with it like have Stottlemeyer be behind it. Fortunately that didn't happen, but that's kind of how I would've felt if they did that. This felt like a cop-out. After everyone else had met the mother, and hit it off with her, Ted meets Tracy at the train station, they even have the same initials, then hit it off, get married, have kids......then she dies and he goes to Robin yet again. *sigh*

Well I guess I'm happy Marshall and Lily's stories ended up fine at least and I don't hate that Barney went back to being a playboy type (he's like Sam Malone from Cheers, you kind of expected him not to be in a relationship for long). But after spending all season telling every intricate detail of a 3-day weekend, it felt rushed getting through so many important stories in the 17 years afterwards with only an hour.

So I guess overall, I did find it to be a let-down. (I wanted Ted to be with Victoria honestly) Did we ever find out about the pineapple incident anyway?

Meh, it got kinda stale after awhile (I stopped watching at some point during this season - nice to see my prediction from a few years ago pretty much come true) but the early seasons of the show were great.

I, for one, am shocked that a terrible sitcom had a terrible ending!@

It was pretty fun for the first 3-4 seasons, but nearly everything after that has been dreadful.

The ending sounds amazing. I've barely stopped laughing since I read it.

A better ending would have been...

*Ted stands under Robin's window holding the blue French horn. Robyn pokes her head out of the window and sees Ted below. He smiles*

Robyn - Jesus fucking Christ Ted! Twenty six fucking years you've been pulling this shit! I have a restraining order! Fuck off!

• Like 6