General Television Thread

Hellfire

2 minutes ago, Monkey D. Lars said:

3 more and its gets better every season. Especially 5 through 7 with an amazing series finale.

I may have to pick it up again as I remember really enjoying the first couple of seasons especially. Would probably need to watch from the beginning though as it must have been a good 6-7 years since I did watch it.

Didn't the cop end up in prison in real life for murdering his significant other? Which is odd because my recollection tells me his character was a right wimp, that or very by the book. 

1 hour ago, Monkey D. Lars said:

Rewatched the first six seasons of the shield in about a month. That show is still the best. 

i honestly think the shield might be the best tv show of all time

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Monkey D. Lars said:

I think so too!

Yeah! The guy who plays Julian! Totally forgot about that! Such a shame. 

she was a professional sprinter and he shot her in the legs just to hurt her. guys a fuckin prick.

Did anyone watch else Sex Education on Netflix? I'd highly recommend if not. Interesting setting whereby it's an English sixth form with some odd American aesthetics (which some reviews whinge about but I thought was a nice design choice), some good drama, nice funny bits and also boobies. Great little easy watch that we binged in about a week, something we've not really done since the last Stranger Things. 

3 minutes ago, K said:

Anyone see this Russian Doll thing that's popped up on Netflix? Says it was created by Amy pohler, which is a good start

Yeah critics have been touting it as really good for a couple of weeks now which surprised me since the trailer didn't do much for me. 

On 31/01/2019 at 23:06, Colly said:

Did anyone watch else Sex Education on Netflix? I'd highly recommend if not. Interesting setting whereby it's an English sixth form with some odd American aesthetics (which some reviews whinge about but I thought was a nice design choice), some good drama, nice funny bits and also boobies. Great little easy watch that we binged in about a week, something we've not really done since the last Stranger Things. 

Sex Education rocks. I was saying how refreshing it is that there's no antagonist, it just basically explores how difficult that time in your life can be, and how people can do good and bad things. Like every character has a stage where they do something bad, and it works perfectly because they feel more real. It's also just got a really nice tone to the whole thing - I thought it was great. Someone I know directed the last 4 eps as well, so it's great to see it going so well. Season 2 just confirmed. 

11 minutes ago, Colly said:

I'm doing an Arrested Development watchthrough for the first time, when I get to season 4 do I watch the original release, or the remix, or both? Kerazy. 

So, just in case you don't know the big format difference; the original release had fewer-but-longer episodes with a heavy focus on one Bluth per episode (which isn't to say that other ones don't appear, just that they're usually in it fairly briefly), with little in the way of the whole family being together as basically a concession to the reality that by that point in time nearly everyone in that cast was extremely busy. It also plays a ton with showing things out of chronological order, so there's stuff that only makes sense once you get to, say, Maeby's episode and see the way it intersects with earlier episodes. The remix has more episodes at a shorter runtime and is basically recut so everything is in chronological order and there's more of a balance in terms of character representation.

The remix is probably an easier watch but for me, the original is better. The remix basically needs a ton of heavy lifting from Ron Howard's narration and I think some of the jokes don't work as well when put in chronological order. However, I know the original is fairly divisive and the way they order the episodes doesn't do it a ton of favors because there's a lot of focus early on on Bluths who... don't entirely work as solo acts (especially George Sr., who has like two episodes in the first half of the season whereas the first GOB episode is at something like the halfway point).

• Like 4

On 01/02/2019 at 17:14, K said:

Anyone see this Russian Doll thing that's popped up on Netflix? Says it was created by Amy pohler, which is a good start

It's not must see TV by any means and certainly not very "Parks and Rec" if that is what you are hoping for, but there's worse ways to spend three hours. It's got an interesting spin on Groundhog Day.