General Television Thread

Hellfire

Rewatched Don't Trust the Bitch in Apartment 23 the past two days. It's fucking criminal that this show wasn't renewed past two seasons. 

Also, I wonder how this past decade of single-camera sitcoms will be remembered as we head into the 2020's, and if it'll be as fondly remembered as I think of it now. There's been some absolutely great ones that was basically in that sweet spot period of my life where I'm in college and uni and basically have as much time as possible to watch all of this. Community, Parks & Rec, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Don't Trust the Bitch in Apartment 23, the Goldbergs, Modern Family, The Office, Broad City, I could go on and on. It's going to be weird as with the next gen of streaming television basically taking over, this is a decade where a lot of shows would have probably thrived even longer on Netflix or Amazon. 

• Like 2

Good Girls season 2 was so good. I was gripped. Watched thirteen episodes in like three days.

If you haven't watched it, it's on Netflix UK and I definitely recommend it. It starts off as something like, What if Breaking Bad but mums, but it quickly steers into its own themes. It's very good.

• Like 1

Well, fuck. The Orville won't be back on until late next year, AND....its going to be Hulu exclusive, not on Fox.

So, the show is dead to me now. 

*edited to add* Moving an existing show to a streaming service is a real dick move. 

Edited by GhostMachine

Watched the first episode of Borgen last night. Has me hooked. I think it is because literally every politician in the show is a piece of shit like real life.

Also started watching King of the Road again. I love it.

3 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

Well, fuck. The Orville won't be back on until late next year, AND....its going to be Hulu exclusive, not on Fox.

So, the show is dead to me now. 

*edited to add* Moving an existing show to a streaming service is a real dick move. 

If the choice is "move to a streaming service" or "cancelled and people lose their jobs", its a great choice

• Like 2

On 20/07/2019 at 23:59, Lint said:

If the choice is "move to a streaming service" or "cancelled and people lose their jobs", its a great choice

You're not wrong. But at another board I go to, the thread for the show has been deleted. Because most of us won't be watching on Hulu, so there's no point in talking about it. Only  one person said they'd watch it on Hulu....because that's how they watch it to begin with.

On 21/07/2019 at 01:14, GhostMachine said:

Every series of Last Man on Earth was on free tv in the UK, until they moved the last one to Amazon Prime. That's just bloody mean.

Vice UK have published a list of 'Britain's 50 Best TV Shows Since 2000', here's the top twenty:

Spoiler
  1. Come Dine with Me (2005 - Present) (I know, right?)
  2. Peep Show (2003 - 2015)
  3. The Thick of It (2005 - 2012)
  4. The Blue Planet (2001)
  5. Fleabag (2016 - 2019)
  6. Popworld (2001 - 2007)
  7. People Just Do Nothing (2014 - 2018)
  8. Nighty Night (2004 - 2005)
  9. When Louis Met... (2000 - 2002)
  10. Top Boy (2011 - 2013)
  11. The Office (2001 - 2003)
  12. Gogglebox (2013 - Present)
  13. The Inbetweeners (2008 - 2010)
  14. Skins (2007 - 2013)
  15. Green Wing (2004 - 2007)
  16. Monkey Dust (2003 - 2005)
  17. Footballers' Wives (2002 - 2006)
  18. Phoenix Nights (2001 - 2002)
  19. Wife Swap (2003 - 2009)
  20. Sugar Rush (2005 - 2006)

On 22/07/2019 at 21:50, Colly said:

Every series of Last Man on Earth was on free tv in the UK, until they moved the last one to Amazon Prime. That's just bloody mean.

i think they moved Lost from like Channel 4 to Sky One back in the day and that basically made my dad swear off television completely 

1 hour ago, Jasonmufc said:

No Dr. Who either, which seems a bit mind-boggling. It's not particurarly high quality sci-fi, but it's arguably one of the most enduring piece of pop culture on television.

To be fair, they could be counting that as part of an extended run of shows starting pre-2000.

Having said that, just off the top of my head - Inbetweeners, Misfits, Black Books and My Family are all not on that list as far as I can see, all of which belong on there for one reason or another. Also Life on Mars only being 49th is laughable.