General Television Thread

Hellfire

8 minutes ago, Benji said:

Prime, Netflix and Sky.

I am told that Good Omens is worth a watch. Not sure what's on Sky.

For Netflix though... Kim's Convenience, Dead to Me, Santa Clarita Diet (even though they cancelled it), Good Girls and Easy are all worth watching if you haven't yet.

Oh, and Schitt's Creek.

Edited by Gabriel

On 20/06/2019 at 08:36, Jimmy said:

It was a real triumph, wasn't it? I've got to say I wasn't fully in love with the last two episodes. I just wasn't fully convinced by its transition into an espionage thriller and preferred it when it felt like a small scale family story to the backdrop of this huge political backdrop. It also felt like it tied up a little too neatly. That said, I loved the journey, especially the first four episodes. I'll remember it for the strength of its ensemble, the warmth and compassion within that family dynamic and the all-too-real plausibility of the horrific events. 

Hide contents

Danny's death was superbly done, as well. Like, the whole build and reveal was heart-breaking. As was Stephen's descent into villain, sending Viktor to the camps. His redemption didn't sit that well with me, I think they should've seen that through.

Spoiler

I loved pretty much all of it with the notable exception of the Doctor Whoey ending. I don't really understand why they ended it with an ambiguous "is Edith in the internet" which came pretty much out of nowhere and I didn't actually care much about. Are there plans for a second series, because I think it works perfectly as a self contained one off, past this point it goes very scifi and the fact none of the newsreaders aged in a decade becomes troubling...

7 minutes ago, Colly said:
  Hide contents

I loved pretty much all of it with the notable exception of the Doctor Whoey ending. I don't really understand why they ended it with an ambiguous "is Edith in the internet" which came pretty much out of nowhere and I didn't actually care much about. Are there plans for a second series, because I think it works perfectly as a self contained one off, past this point it goes very scifi and the fact none of the newsreaders aged in a decade becomes troubling...

It felt pretty much wrapped up to me - I'd be shocked if they did a second series. They

might be tempted to do some sort of semi-sequel in the same world, or they might be tempted to build on the world they've built, but surely not a direct sequel.

Also, especially for UK people, if you haven't done The Virtues I'd highly recommend while it's still on All4. It's one of the most stunning, brutal and heart-breaking pieces of television I've ever seen. Shane Meadows is an absolute master and Stephen Graham gives a career-best performance, which is saying something. 

On 19/06/2019 at 10:31, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

Haven't watched episode 2 but the season premier of Pose was excellent. I love this show. It also got renewed for a 3rd season yesterday. 

Pose is awesome. I love that the show takes these broken, hopeless characters and gives us a show full of optimism, with these amazing performances all around.

• Like 1

Anyone been watching Catch 22? The book is one of my favourites but I don't really think it's working so far as a series. They've changed bits of course but it still feels off.

I've never read the book and don't even know the concept never mind the plot, so as someone completely removed from it I enjoyed the first episode. Cast is great and the script is funny, with Clooney involved I thought it might be a bit too clever (I really hated Hail, Caesar) but it isn't. Which is nice.

I think there's a strong case for The Americans and The Leftovers being the two most under appreciated dramas of the current golden age of TV. Both got a lot of critical plaudits but not as much actual pop culture attention and they were both stupendous.

• Like 1

• Like 2