General Television Thread

Hellfire

On 28/06/2019 at 07:04, Kaney said:

Anyone been watching Catch 22? The book is one of my favourites but I don't really think it's working so far as a series. They've changed bits of course but it still feels off.

Trying to make a workable film or series of Catch-22 is like trying to make a live action version of Finnegans Wake. I love the film because the actors just seem to nail the parts but you lose a lot of the jokes because the film doesn't use the same repetition used in the books.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, MDK said:

Trying to make a workable film or series of Catch-22 is like trying to make a live action version of Finnegans Wake. I love the film because the actors just seem to nail the parts but you lose a lot of the jokes because the film doesn't use the same repetition used in the books.

I didn't even know this existed. I love the book but I'm afraid I'll feel the same about the series if I start watching it. :(

Edited by Malenko
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Malenko said:

I didn't even know this existed. I love the book but I'm afraid I'll feel the same about the series if I start watching it. :(

I saw the film before I read the book. I feel like they got the characters almost spot on, I couldn't read the book without imagining Yosarian as Alan Arkin and hearing it in his voice. If you watch the film/series and consider it "Inspired by" instead of an adaptation then you will probably like it, I imagine.

Yeah, what Myke said. It's not that it's bad at all, just something impossible to adapt 100% faithfully. Not that it should be tbf.

Looking at the schedule for next year, and seeing the lack of new shows that grab me, the utter lack of new comedy, and the amount of shows that have ended or are ending recently/soon, I think we may have reached the end of the most recent golden age of TV :(

1 hour ago, Benji said:

Looking at the schedule for next year, and seeing the lack of new shows that grab me, the utter lack of new comedy, and the amount of shows that have ended or are ending recently/soon, I think we may have reached the end of the most recent golden age of TV :(

Luckily for me, there is so much catching up to do for me :P 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Benji said:

Yeah I feel the same as Lars, due to my life being a giant shithole for the past one year or so, I have so much catching up to do. The fact that I haven't seen the most recent season of AoS, iZombie and the Handmaid's Tale, all of which used to be appointment viewing for me, is like one silver lining. 

I'll probably put it off and just rewatch more B99, though :/ 

• Like 2

This is true, but I am definitely sad about the lack of comedies. Guess I should probably give the US Office and 30 Rock another go.

Also, True Detective season three is pretty good. Nowhere near the greatness of season one but nowhere near the bad of season two. Can't say I'm a particular fan of the main guy, but he is serviceable in the role.

The only new comedy show I’m anticipating is Sunnyside. It’s created by and stars Kal Penn working with immigrants. And it’s co-produced by Mike Schur. It could end up being like Abby’s (just okay, but I support it), but it has potential. Otherwise I’m just looking forward to returning shows like The Good Place.

On 07/07/2019 at 19:05, Josh Marenghi said:

The only new comedy show I’m anticipating is Sunnyside. It’s created by and stars Kal Penn working with immigrants. And it’s co-produced by Mike Schur. It could end up being like Abby’s (just okay, but I support it), but it has potential. Otherwise I’m just looking forward to returning shows like The Good Place.

I'm planning on checking out The Unicorn, but its mainly due to Walton Goggins and Rob Corddry being it than the actual concept. Might also check out Broke. Also, I'm wary of checking out any new shows coming from ABC. Because they have a habit of not promoting their shows enough, wondering why no one is watching, then cancelling them (something FOX used to be guilty of). I'm still not happy Deception got axed....

4 hours ago, Moses Julep said:

I am shocked Perpetual Grace Ltd. is going completely unnoticed. Ben Kingsley has been fantastic and the show is just a masterpiece in absurdity.

That's just kinda what happens with shows on Epix. 

Edited by livid

When we had the premium channels through cable, you had to order and pay for Epix separately. It wasn't included in the premium channel package. We never picked it up.

We downgraded our cable after Game Of Thrones ended. Not only got rid of the premium channels, but I can't watch Food Paradise or Mysteries At The Museum (Travel Channel), Lip Sync Battle (Paramount Network), or Food; Fact Or Fiction (Cooking Channel) anymore. Don't get Destination America or El Rey now, either. But I rarely watched those two, anyway.

On 07/07/2019 at 20:47, Benji said:

This is true, but I am definitely sad about the lack of comedies. Guess I should probably give the US Office and 30 Rock another go.

Also, True Detective season three is pretty good. Nowhere near the greatness of season one but nowhere near the bad of season two. Can't say I'm a particular fan of the main guy, but he is serviceable in the role.

You should give the Office another go! I always love to watch it!

• Like 1