General Television Thread

Hellfire

12 hours ago, Benji said:

I'm excited for new Kimmy, but I despise "choose your own stories" when they're on Netflix. It produced the worst Black Mirror episode bar one.

Has there been another choose your own story? The Black Mirror one was trash, totally agree with you that it was the worst one, but I would be intrigued to try another one if they have it. 

I don’t really want Kimmy Schmidt to be the choose your own story, though. The first three seasons were really good (haven’t seen the last one yet) and I wouldn’t want people to be able to choose what the characters did. 

On balance, I liked the third season of True Detective. I really appreciated what they were trying to do, but potentially just bit off a little more than they could chew in balancing it all. It didn't all quite align perfectly, especially in the conclusion of the case, but was very much into what they were trying to do with the character development and the effect of the Korean War. It's a masterclass in acting, which I expected from Mahershala Ali, but was great to see Stephen Dorff, Carmen Ejogo and Scoot McNairy doing such stellar work. 

It's making me wanna brave Season 2. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

Has there been another choose your own story? The Black Mirror one was trash, totally agree with you that it was the worst one, but I would be intrigued to try another one if they have it. 

There's a few on the kids shows, including I believe a Carmen Sandiego and a Captain Underpants. If that floats your boat.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

On balance, I liked the third season of True Detective. I really appreciated what they were trying to do, but potentially just bit off a little more than they could chew in balancing it all. It didn't all quite align perfectly, especially in the conclusion of the case, but was very much into what they were trying to do with the character development and the effect of the Korean War. It's a masterclass in acting, which I expected from Mahershala Ali, but was great to see Stephen Dorff, Carmen Ejogo and Scoot McNairy doing such stellar work. 

Oh yeah, True Detective. Another show I now have time to catch up on.

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

Season 3 for me was a step up, but something about it never clicked. It almost felt like a lot of great things that somehow just wound up only "good" in terms of quality. Season two isn't awful, but it's not memorable and I can't say I'd go out of my way to suggest watching it.

15 minutes ago, Benji said:

Season 3 for me was a step up, but something about it never clicked. It almost felt like a lot of great things that somehow just wound up only "good" in terms of quality. Season two isn't awful, but it's not memorable and I can't say I'd go out of my way to suggest watching it.

It felt on the cusp, didn't it? I would've really liked it if, when they solved the case, the show had ended with their sentiment that they didn't find any closure. It would've been a really brave, cynical end, that would have complimented the deterioration of their personal lives as a consequence of the case. Would've compounded their failure and the sheer knock-on effect that evil has on people. In the end, the fractured relationships never felt fully explored, the commitment to the jumbled timelines stopped having dramatic weight as it all tied together. 

I could really have done without the suggestion that she's still alive as well. That felt tacked in. 

But...I still liked what it was trying and there was loads of lovely details and scenes. It just didn't all add up as well as it could have.

4 hours ago, Benjamin said:

Hulu has a VR one called Door #1, but you might be talking about Netflix (and non-VR). Actually, it might work in non-VR mode, I never tried it out.

36 minutes ago, tristy said:

Hulu has a VR one called Door #1, but you might be talking about Netflix (and non-VR). Actually, it might work in non-VR mode, I never tried it out.

Yeah, there’s no way I can do a VR one as except in VR parks I’ve never even tried VR, I would have no idea how that works.

Shows how little late "All That" meant to me that I had no idea JLS started there. Legit thought she started on Zoey101 in a staring role because of her name.