General Television Thread

Hellfire

3 minutes ago, Benji said:

Schooled got cancelled. That blows, it's one of the few half hour comedies airing right now I really enjoy. Not enough comedies these days.

Do you watch The Goldbergs?

5 minutes ago, How The Cloud Stole Christ said:

Do you watch The Goldbergs?

I do, and love it.

Also just learned Man With a Plan was cancelled, which I'm significantly less bothered about, but it was a nice old school family sitcom for the most part, and it was something me and the other half could enjoy together.

17 hours ago, Adam said:

I just finished the last episode of Deadwood, with mixed feelings.

I got onto it after finishing Justified and have enjoyed the acting immensely - amazing dialogue, beautiful sets and a brilliant realisation of the time period. Not sure on a lot of the plotting however and I'm left feeling somewhat bemused by the major events of that final season.

That said, I now need to seek out a copy of the film they made last year to wrap it all up and see if that at all changes my perspective on the series.

Yes and no. It’ll give you some closure and some great moments, but there’s only so much time there. I’d also advise waiting a while, as a lot of time goes by between the show and the movie. Taking some time away makes the viewing better.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Adam said:

I just finished the last episode of Deadwood, with mixed feelings.

I got onto it after finishing Justified and have enjoyed the acting immensely - amazing dialogue, beautiful sets and a brilliant realisation of the time period. Not sure on a lot of the plotting however and I'm left feeling somewhat bemused by the major events of that final season.

That said, I now need to seek out a copy of the film they made last year to wrap it all up and see if that at all changes my perspective on the series.

You mentioning how good Justified made me start it. Have watched the first 5 seasons in a month. 1 season left and I don't think I'm ready for it to end. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Josh Mulaney said:

Yes and no. It’ll give you some closure and some great moments, but there’s only so much time there. I’d also advise waiting a while, as a lot of time goes by between the show and the movie. Taking some time away makes the viewing better.

I'll probably take your advice and wait, not least because I don't think it's available on any streaming sites over here like the series is. I watched the trailer and am glad it seems to follow up the third season storyline, even with the 10 year time jump.

57 minutes ago, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:

You mentioning how good Justified made me start it. Have watched the first 5 seasons in a month. 1 season left and I don't think I'm ready for it to end. 

I wasn't ready for it to end right up to the very last scene! Honestly one of my all-time favourites full of actors and characters I love. You'll have to let me know your thoughts on it when you get through to the end.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:

Oh man, I'm sorry you're near the end. I had that same experience and it upset me greatly 😞

• Like 2

I don't really think this is a spoiler but just in case, regarding the ending of Justified:

Spoiler

I just sat there bawling my eyes out during the final scene of the finale wishing I didn't have to leave this world and these characters. Not out of sadness or any tragedy like you'd usually tear up at TV over, just the reality of having to accept this was the end. I've not had that with too many other forms of entertainment before.

• Like 1

Anybody else watching Space Force? Did the first two episodes today, it’s not super laugh out loud funny, but it’s good so far. Hoping to just binge the whole thing today because it’s got a good pace to it, IMO.

On 23/05/2020 at 16:55, Adam said:

I'll probably take your advice and wait, not least because I don't think it's available on any streaming sites over here like the series is. I watched the trailer and am glad it seems to follow up the third season storyline, even with the 10 year time jump.

I wasn't ready for it to end right up to the very last scene! Honestly one of my all-time favourites full of actors and characters I love. You'll have to let me know your thoughts on it when you get through to the end.

I'm done. It's over. :crying:

• Like 2

Thoughts on the ending.

Spoiler

I was pretty upset that Winnona and Raylan didn't get together but I can see why it wouldn't work out. She realized he would always be focused on his job and even if they tried, she probably would have been frustrated again. At least it was nice to see them getting along. 

I loved that last scene with Boyd and Raylan. Do people know if Boyd was supposed to be in the full series or whether it was kind of a Jesse Pinkman scenario where he was so good that they kept him in the whole time. 

I loved Ava's ending. She always wanted out but struggled with figuring out how. Once she was out, feels like she was at peace. Raylan letting her stay was great. If it weren't for the lawyer, Raylan probably would have kept the deal with her and let her go. I wish they told us who helped her.

I could have used a bit more to the end of the Arlo/Raylan story but I guess, like, what else is there. Did they mention the shack thing earlier than the last season because it felt a bit odd for there to be this thing Raylan has focused on his whole life, only for it to be brought up at the end of the series just so they can try and wrap up that story.

I absolutely loved Tim, Rachel and Art. Nothing really else to note on them but I thought they were all great characters. 

From what I've found Walton Goggins did the show as a favor to Timothy Olyphant and Boyd was supposed to have died at the end of the first episode (!). 

1 hour ago, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:

Thoughts on the ending.

Hide contents

I was pretty upset that Winnona and Raylan didn't get together but I can see why it wouldn't work out. She realized he would always be focused on his job and even if they tried, she probably would have been frustrated again. At least it was nice to see them getting along. 

I loved that last scene with Boyd and Raylan. Do people know if Boyd was supposed to be in the full series or whether it was kind of a Jesse Pinkman scenario where he was so good that they kept him in the whole time. 

I loved Ava's ending. She always wanted out but struggled with figuring out how. Once she was out, feels like she was at peace. Raylan letting her stay was great. If it weren't for the lawyer, Raylan probably would have kept the deal with her and let her go. I wish they told us who helped her.

I could have used a bit more to the end of the Arlo/Raylan story but I guess, like, what else is there. Did they mention the shack thing earlier than the last season because it felt a bit odd for there to be this thing Raylan has focused on his whole life, only for it to be brought up at the end of the series just so they can try and wrap up that story.

I absolutely loved Tim, Rachel and Art. Nothing really else to note on them but I thought they were all great characters. 

Justified ending spoilers within:

Spoiler

I felt a bit like "aww no" when they showed Winona's boyfriend at the end, although I have to say I'm not surprised they didn't end up together for those reasons you mentioned. As much as she wanted to accept Raylan for who he was, it was at odds with what she really wanted them to be as a family unit and there was absolutely no changing him. He will always, always chase the bad guys and do things his own way.

There's very much a touch of the Jesse Pinkmans about Walton Goggins in Justified. The pilot episode is based on "Fire in the Hole", a short story in which Raylan kills Boyd at the end. Goggins was so good though that they kept him around and they soon settled on him as Raylan's main adversary for the series. The chemistry those two have is off the charts and they are two of my favourite actors around so I'm very glad it worked out this way.

I quite liked that they didn't tell us explicitly who helped her, that it could have been any of those three (or four?) characters. I believe the "canon" answer is Wynn Duffy, or else him being shown obtaining the Dog Grooming van is fairly pointless earlier on. I believe Duffy showed his true colours by the end (what a great recurring character he ended up being, from Bobby Quarles onwards I was rooting for Wynn and was so happy he got out alive) and so helped Ava to escape. Ellen May is probably long gone and Limehouse wasn't going to help anyone without getting a massive wedge of cash, which Ava needed to start her new life.

I don't believe the shack thing was ever mentioned beforehand. Arlo's rather abrupt demise was a surprise and it never felt like full closure between the two of them but Raylan seemed to need his father to be dead to actually be able to work through his issues about him in the end, and Arlo's life served as more of a road map of not what to do for Raylan from a young age right through to his ignominious death in prison.

The Marshal crew were all fantastic, I utterly loved every scene involving Tim because he played the straight man so, so well. He also had some really cool rivalries with villains like Colt Rhodes and the one Crowe brother who fell on his own knife. My only reasonable criticism of Justified is that he and Rachel didn't get utilised nearly as much as they should have.

What did you think of how they handled the ending, @Mx. Canadian Destroyer? I spent most of the last two seasons convinced Raylan would die at the end of this story, so when Boon shot him on that road I was sure that was it. When he pokes his head up at Loretta and shows he's alive I was amazed. I felt like they wrapped up everyone's stories quite well and I'm glad Boyd also survived but paid for his many, many crimes, and that final scene between the two of them is one of the greatest moments of any TV drama series. I was in floods watching it because their story had been told so well and I was sad (accepting, but sad) to see it end.

4 minutes ago, Adam said:

Justified ending spoilers within:

Hide contents

I felt a bit like "aww no" when they showed Winona's boyfriend at the end, although I have to say I'm not surprised they didn't end up together for those reasons you mentioned. As much as she wanted to accept Raylan for who he was, it was at odds with what she really wanted them to be as a family unit and there was absolutely no changing him. He will always, always chase the bad guys and do things his own way.

There's very much a touch of the Jesse Pinkmans about Walton Goggins in Justified. The pilot episode is based on "Fire in the Hole", a short story in which Raylan kills Boyd at the end. Goggins was so good though that they kept him around and they soon settled on him as Raylan's main adversary for the series. The chemistry those two have is off the charts and they are two of my favourite actors around so I'm very glad it worked out this way.

I quite liked that they didn't tell us explicitly who helped her, that it could have been any of those three (or four?) characters. I believe the "canon" answer is Wynn Duffy, or else him being shown obtaining the Dog Grooming van is fairly pointless earlier on. I believe Duffy showed his true colours by the end (what a great recurring character he ended up being, from Bobby Quarles onwards I was rooting for Wynn and was so happy he got out alive) and so helped Ava to escape. Ellen May is probably long gone and Limehouse wasn't going to help anyone without getting a massive wedge of cash, which Ava needed to start her new life.

I don't believe the shack thing was ever mentioned beforehand. Arlo's rather abrupt demise was a surprise and it never felt like full closure between the two of them but Raylan seemed to need his father to be dead to actually be able to work through his issues about him in the end, and Arlo's life served as more of a road map of not what to do for Raylan from a young age right through to his ignominious death in prison.

The Marshal crew were all fantastic, I utterly loved every scene involving Tim because he played the straight man so, so well. He also had some really cool rivalries with villains like Colt Rhodes and the one Crowe brother who fell on his own knife. My only reasonable criticism of Justified is that he and Rachel didn't get utilised nearly as much as they should have.

What did you think of how they handled the ending, @Mx. Canadian Destroyer? I spent most of the last two seasons convinced Raylan would die at the end of this story, so when Boon shot him on that road I was sure that was it. When he pokes his head up at Loretta and shows he's alive I was amazed. I felt like they wrapped up everyone's stories quite well and I'm glad Boyd also survived but paid for his many, many crimes, and that final scene between the two of them is one of the greatest moments of any TV drama series. I was in floods watching it because their story had been told so well and I was sad (accepting, but sad) to see it end.

Spoiler

I didn't want Raylan to die. I always felt like the story was good enough to just be about his time returning to Harlan. I kind of hate that I think about this kind of stuff, but I knew there was no way he died because of Boon and there was also too much time left in the episode. The only way I could have seen him dying was because of Boyd, but when he didn't kill Boyd, I didn't think either of them would die. 

Justified ending:

Spoiler

Raylan dying would have felt like a very un-Elmore Leonard thing to do so I'm glad they didn't go there. Instead they did the ultimate tribute to him and had the big casualty be Raylan's hat -- which Leonard hated -- and have him end up taking Boon's hat, which was essentially the kind of hat Raylan Givens wore in the books.

• Like 2

Binged season 2 of the Deuce, now on season 3. This show is so fucking good, I’m sad I didn’t keep up with it earlier. 

So sad they dropped the season 2 intro song, though, but of course no offence to Blondie because this one’s good too.