General Television Thread

Hellfire

Midnight Gospel is... odd. The animation is awful (intentionally, but not in a good way), and it feels like someone decided not to write it and instead got high and just wrote down their conversations. I want to like it because it's by Pendleton Ward who made Adventure Time, but it's really going to have to improve on episode one.

On 19/04/2020 at 02:40, Benjamin said:

Anybody else watching the Plot Against America?

I just watched the final episode and god, what a stressful hour and change that was.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

I just watched the final episode and god, what a stressful hour and change that was.

Was that ending supposed to suggest there may be another season? It's billed as a mini-series, but the ending maybe seemed to imply there would be more.

Going to spoiler tag some thoughts.

Spoiler

It was stressful. The drive back to New Jersey, especially.

The ending was always going to be hard. You can't suddenly make everything happy and peaceful, even if you assassinate the president. I don't really get the first lady's speech. I guess I was wrong in assuming they were trying to use the rabbi and Evelyn the whole time. Or perhaps thought they weren't in the wrong in the same way Evelyn and Bengelsdorf thought they were doing good, only to realize how wrong they were. 

I don't really get the end to Alvin's arc and why he and Herman would be at each other's throats during the dinner. I mean, I get why they both thought the other one didn't do anything, or went about things in the wrong way, but that felt like such a dissatisfying conclusion to that story.

• Like 1

So I read what the actual ending of the book is, and:

Spoiler

In the book, Roosevelt wins re-election, Japan attacks Pearl Harbor, and the country sort of resets itself. I think the ending of the show is just meant to be a more uncertain take on that ending; no matter what, America isn't going to be perfect. You see the vote tampering, you see people turning out, and you hear the message from the radio suggesting that districts that Lindbergh won handily two years ago are presently too close to call. So the actual moral question is "will people who aren't marginalized in society, who the decks aren't stacked against, do the right thing and push back against barbarism?" Which... boy, can't think why that question is being asked right now!

I also had the wrong read on Anne Lindbergh, and was extremely surprised given the sheer amount of focus on how every American institution was being twisted to serve the needs of the America First crowd that I guess they just let her out. I 100% thought she was basically going to give a speech under some duress denouncing Bengelsdorf. I think either way we're not meant to have any empathy for Charles but maybe are supposed to think of him as a lightweight whose popularity and lack of substance allows more dangerous people through the door?

The Herman/Alvin fight is... I think thematically it's supposed to be the clash between someone who believes in the power and inherent good of institutions vs. someone who sees them for what they are and is wiling to do morally gray things to back the people he cares about, and that those two worldviews will never truly be reconciled with each other even though in that episode they basically work hand in hand to save the country from disaster. But it does feel sudden and I don't think they fully used some of the stuff that could have supported it better, like Herman being supportive of Alvin getting ahead in life by working for that miser politician (?) in episode two and being disgusted by Alvin getting ahead in life by working for/marrying into a family that deals in gambling machines.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:

Was that ending supposed to suggest there may be another season? It's billed as a mini-series, but the ending maybe seemed to imply there would be more.

Going to spoiler tag some thoughts.

Hide contents

It was stressful. The drive back to New Jersey, especially.

The ending was always going to be hard. You can't suddenly make everything happy and peaceful, even if you assassinate the president. I don't really get the first lady's speech. I guess I was wrong in assuming they were trying to use the rabbi and Evelyn the whole time. Or perhaps thought they weren't in the wrong in the same way Evelyn and Bengelsdorf thought they were doing good, only to realize how wrong they were. 

I don't really get the end to Alvin's arc and why he and Herman would be at each other's throats during the dinner. I mean, I get why they both thought the other one didn't do anything, or went about things in the wrong way, but that felt like such a dissatisfying conclusion to that story.

Spoiler

I can’t have been the only one feeling heartbroken for Seldon, right? To be left there alone, not knowing exactly what is going on, after being sent there by someone who you consider a best friend but we’re not quite sure how much that feeling is reciprocated. 

I thought for sure they were going to let something happen to him on the way home. However, to just see him not really want to be a part of that family dynamic even before things got crazy during the family dinner was heartbreaking. He’s been changed and scarred forever, and he’ll always be the person who just let everyone on all sides take advantage and strip him of everything even though he did nothing wrong. 

Are we supposed to believe that Bengelsdorf and Evelyn really believed that Lindbergh’s son had been kidnapped by Hitler? That seemed a little too comical and when Evelyn told Bess that I 100% would have been behind Bess backhand slapping her, unfortunately. Gave me that fake news spreading sort of feeling. Crazy thing is that didn’t Lindbergh’s son really get kidnapped in real life? 

16 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

So I read what the actual ending of the book is, and:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

That’s a great way to think about the fight in the end. It was so sudden and just weird I was absolutely confused by it. That led to the even weirder sort of cliffhanger ending.

Also, GoGo, does that mean that in the book Roosevelt won it in ‘42 and then Pearl Harbor happened a year later than it actually happened? Sort of weird because there was absolutely zero mention of the Japanese at all, right? 

Both Plot Against America spoilers. 

Also sort of distracted me from what I was going to post about. Been rewatching Boardwalk Empire, and my god, Richard Harrow has got to be in the top 5 characters of all time. I’m on season 4 and I know what’s gonna happen and it’s still gonna’ break my heart when it does, I just know it.

When They See Us was a painful experience. While still excellent, I wasn't as keen on the last two episodes, which I'm still mulling over. Worth saying that in the context of perceiving the show as all-round great. The casting is insane, as is Ava's ability to create empathy and emotion, although I did tend to find the music over-powering. It's a fine-line with scores, for me. So glad these stories are finally getting told with the financial back they deserve, it's nice to see Netflix getting it right. 

• Like 1

On 4/20/2020 at 9:41 PM, GoGo Yubari said:

Wait, this week's episode was the finale? Finally, I can binge watch it all! I've been waiting to do this since the first episode.

On 4/20/2020 at 5:13 AM, Jimmy said:

4 episodes into Twin Peaks: The Return and it's just peak Lynch isn't it? I've never seen TV that is as distinctive and auteur-driven. 

Obviously haven't got a clue what's really going on, but that doesn't bother me, especially this early on. I'm just absorbing it all and loving it. 

You're four episodes away from the arguably the best episode of Twin Peaks in it's three season run (plus the movie). I made a thread when it was released that was pretty popular with theories, episode discussion, etc. I miss this show terribly. The last episode is a fucking gut punch.

On 4/17/2020 at 7:13 PM, How The Cloud Stole Christ said:

Also, Zack is somehow the governor of California.

If Tracy Wrigfield is involved, and I'm assuming the showrunner or something, then I'm down as fuck for this. Good News was cancelled way too soon, and 30 Rock is objectively a modern classic.

3 hours ago, Benjamin said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Also sort of distracted me from what I was going to post about. Been rewatching Boardwalk Empire, and my god, Richard Harrow has got to be in the top 5 characters of all time. I’m on season 4 and I know what’s gonna happen and it’s still gonna’ break my heart when it does, I just know it.

Yeah, the Lindbergh baby's kidnapping is the reason for the Federal Kidnapping Law, the "Lindbergh Law" that makes it a crime to transport a kidnapping victim across state lines.

It's also got a very sad end, and a German immigrant was eventually convicted of the kidnapping.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Benjamin said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Hide contents

That’s a great way to think about the fight in the end. It was so sudden and just weird I was absolutely confused by it. That led to the even weirder sort of cliffhanger ending.

Also, GoGo, does that mean that in the book Roosevelt won it in ‘42 and then Pearl Harbor happened a year later than it actually happened? Sort of weird because there was absolutely zero mention of the Japanese at all, right? 

Re: the book ending, yeah, that's apparently what happens. I couldn't speak to how the book handles that stuff, though, I've never read it.

On the matter of Evelyn and Bengelsdorf:

Spoiler

I think they believe that theory because the alternative -- that Bengelsdorf and his approach was a convenient means to an end for Lindbergh, who would have cast him aside the moment it became too politically inconvenient to have him around -- is too horrifying for them to accept.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, tristy said:

Wait, this week's episode was the finale? Finally, I can binge watch it all! I've been waiting to do this since the first episode.

You're four episodes away from the arguably the best episode of Twin Peaks in it's three season run (plus the movie). I made a thread when it was released that was pretty popular with theories, episode discussion, etc. I miss this show terribly. The last episode is a fucking gut punch.

If Tracy Wrigfield is involved, and I'm assuming the showrunner or something, then I'm down as fuck for this. Good News was cancelled way too soon, and 30 Rock is objectively a modern classic.

Oh 8 was wild. Loving it. 

Yeah I've been checking out that thread, reading along as I watch. 

I've now done 11 parts. It's outrageously good. 

• Like 2

I can only hope that's the formal end of the Superb Owl joke but it was a good one. And also...

Spoiler

I was wondering what was going to happen to Jenna's dorm mate. I was guessing familiar, was not expecting budding vampire hunter. I'm not looking at upcoming synopsises for episodes or anything like that so I'm curious if Beanie Feldstein will show up at all this season.

(actually I kind of hope they reveal that she's been in the whole season up to whatever point she might appear in and has just been invisible the whole time.)