General Television Thread

Hellfire

34 minutes ago, LittleDaniel said:

would the last dance mean anything to someone who uhh has probably never watched a full basketball game?

Only if you like people who are arseholes in the pursuit of greatness.

My childhood hatred of Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls means I'm never gonna give it a fair chance. Too petty for it.

I've watched the first two episodes of The Great, which is the writer of The Favourite basically doing that exact same style and tone of storytelling but for Catherine the Great. I really like it, though it's on par for darkness with The Favourite if not potentially moreso, so I wouldn't recommend it for everyone. Elle Fanning is great as Catherine.

• Like 1

I'm really skeptical of The Last Dance due to MJ's involvement in it. It's gotten a lot of critical acclaim and yeah, I was a big MJ fan and a Bulls fan in the 90s, but I don't think it's right to have the subject of a documentary be involved and have control in the making of it. Turns it into too much of a puff piece about how great that person is.

It's not really a puff piece but they don't really make a point to hold him accountable for being an asshole, either. 

It's really good, though. 

Edited by livid

21 minutes ago, How The Cloud Stole Christ said:

I'm really skeptical of The Last Dance due to MJ's involvement in it. It's gotten a lot of critical acclaim and yeah, I was a big MJ fan and a Bulls fan in the 90s, but I don't think it's right to have the subject of a documentary be involved and have control in the making of it. Turns it into too much of a puff piece about how great that person is.

I don't think they really expound so much on if he's a great person, but they definitely hammer that he's a great basketball player. And, to be fair, he's the GOAT when it comes to basketball, so not really much to be skeptical of.

They also illustrate that he was definitely a dick to a lot of his teammates at times, but eh, most greats are. The way Jordan speaks about his mentality is really fascinating in the pursuit of greatness, though. 

The Blacklist season finale was....interesting. They filmed part of the episode before the virus shut everything down, and finished it with CGI and actors recording their voices at home. All the scenes at their headquarters were filmed, so we didn't get to see Cooper or Aram as CGI. Elizabeth's grandfather was still in a coma, but recovering. Guess that'll change since Brian Dennehy died.

Me and my partner have been doing the same, breezed through season 1 in less than a week and loved it. I'm fnding season 2 a little harder to get on board with but there's some great performances keeping me interested enough.

Season 1 is my favourite of the series so far. Going to spoiler some thoughts. 

Spoiler

I feel like the fun of the show is the park and the more they get away from the park, the less interested in the show I am. I didn't even mind them visiting other parks, but the more the show became about the status of the entire world, the less interested I am. 

• Like 2

Re: Westworld

Spoiler

I understand why people are interested in the park’s goings-on, but given the story they’ve been trying to tell since Season 1, it doesn’t seem feasible at all to me to have the setting just be “Westworld” or “Samurai World” etc. It’s a story, at its core, about artificially created beings gaining sentience and grappling with their place in the world. It seems like it’d be a bit boring to me if they were like “well we’re artificially created beings made for pleasure, that sucks, better stay inside my park though”. 

I completely agree with MCD. I got completely derailed from following season 2 about 7 episodes in because watching it weekly was exhausting. I could barely keep up and remember what happened the week before. 

Watched it in a shorter time frame during corona and it was a lot easier to watch. Still enjoyed season 1 way more. Will only watch season 3 when I can watch the whole thing together.

I started S2, and while it's different, I think I'm on the opposite side from most of you in that I care more about the hosts and the outside world than what's going on inside the park (haven't seen any others besides what was hinted at during the season finale of S1).

Spoilers for S1:

Spoiler

Wow, it's rare that I'm shocked by a twist in a show these days, but they totally got me within mere episodes of each other. First the reveal that Bernard is a host, THEN an episode or two later that he's actually a host based off of Arnold, THEN in the season finale that everything we've been watching takes place in the past and present time and that William is actually the Man In Black! Jeeeeesus! That one really got me, because I was rooting for William and Dolores.

I just finished the last episode of Deadwood, with mixed feelings.

I got onto it after finishing Justified and have enjoyed the acting immensely - amazing dialogue, beautiful sets and a brilliant realisation of the time period. Not sure on a lot of the plotting however and I'm left feeling somewhat bemused by the major events of that final season.

That said, I now need to seek out a copy of the film they made last year to wrap it all up and see if that at all changes my perspective on the series.