General Television Thread

Hellfire

14 minutes ago, Monkey D. Lars said:

So I was scrolling through Netflix and I saw that community was missing the dungeons and dragon episode, is that because of the dark elf being portrayed by Chang? So that means the sunny lethal weapon will be gone too and Dwight Christmas down the line in the Office. 

Always Sunny has already had multiple episodes removed, I believed - including, yeah - the episode that is an entire statement on why blackface is wrong.

The Community thing is utter bullshit. He's portraying a Drow, which a. doesn't fucking exist and b. has a skin color that doesn't exist in the real world. ANYONE who would take offense to that is a total moron.

Much like with Gone To The Wind, it could be temporary while they figure out the best way to present those episodes, while educating its audience. I watched Kind Hearts and Coronets at the cinema last year, which came with a disclaimer and trigger waring about racist language, while not altering the original film, presented as is for historical accuracy, but also very much acknowledging its problematic scene and why it is wrong. 

8 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

The Community thing is utter bullshit. He's portraying a Drow, which a. doesn't fucking exist and b. has a skin color that doesn't exist in the real world. ANYONE who would take offense to that is a total moron.

This is a bad take. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Hellraiser said:

Three episodes of Scrubs were also pulled from streaming services due to scenes involving characters in blackface. That was done at the request of showrunner Bill Lawrence. 

Lawrence (and Sarah Chalke) will be on Zach & Donald's Scrubs podcast later today discussing exactly this.

At the half-way point of S4 of Parks and Rec and it genuinely is the best thing ever. Usually there's at least one character in any sitcom that would be getting on my nerves by now, but this one really has none. Even the ongoing jokes around Jerry (Gary) aren't getting old.

Rob Lowe is also outstanding. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 29/06/2020 at 20:28, Liam Mk2 said:

At the half-way point of S4 of Parks and Rec and it genuinely is the best thing ever. Usually there's at least one character in any sitcom that would be getting on my nerves by now, but this one really has none. Even the ongoing jokes around Jerry (Gary) aren't getting old.

Parks is excellent, yeah. Currently watching it for the third time. Moved back in with the parents during lockdown, and am showing them Parks and The Office for the first time. 

Speaking of The Office! All nine seasons are now on Sky Comedy on demand. Got it on boxset anyways, but having it to stream on TV is a delight. 

Incidentally, don’t think I’ve ever related to any TV character like April off of Parks. Fucking legend.

• Like 1

Someone please watch the new Unsolved Mysteries on Netflix.  Specifically episode two and then come tell me when we are done so we can discuss

how incredibly, and creepily obvious it is that her husband had something to do with her disappearance.

On 29/06/2020 at 15:28, Liam Mk2 said:

Does that even really need to be said?

He killed it in the Austin Powers sequels with a spot-on, dead perfect Robert Wagner impression.

His reactions to some of the stupid answers or inability to even answer easy questions on Mental Samurai are what made (makes?) the show.

And please tell me I don't even have to bring up his work on 9-1-1-: Lone Star.

On 10/06/2020 at 19:51, GoGo Yubari said:

Finished The Great today. As a comedy it's brilliant, though it takes a hard shift into drama at the end and that doesn't work nearly as well for me. Still, I hope there's more; it was originally framed as being a limited series but the ending would be pretty unsatisfying if left to that, and it seems like the cast are game to do a second season.

And it's been renewed. Huzzah.

• Like 1

While we’re talking about shows we’ve finished, I watched the final season of Madam Secretary last weekend and holy shit did that turn into a liberal’s wet dream. Did the boys from Pod Save America ghost write the last few seasons or what? Good grief.

Spoiler

Beats impeachment magically because... she saved everyone from WW3 with China in the South China Sea? Then there’s protests (millions of people, in every city in every state!) for the Republicans to stop impeachment hearings (it happens!) and it all started with a little girl outside the White House with a sign and grew organically within 24 hours. Then the series ends with her wanting to ratify the Constitution?!

Yeah, uh, okay.

Edited by tristy

On 02/07/2020 at 03:05, Adam said:

I think it's a toss up between the Office's Fire Safety cold open and Parks & Rec's Gloria Estefan Campaign rally for my favourite ever sitcom segment.

Both masterful programmes.

GET ON YOUR FEET

• Like 2

On 02/07/2020 at 00:00, Maxx said:

Someone please watch the new Unsolved Mysteries on Netflix.  Specifically episode two and then come tell me when we are done so we can discuss

Reveal hidden contents

Wait...theres a new Unsolved Mysteries?!  Why the hell am I bingeing on YT?!

It’s not as good as the original, which thanks to Robert Stack and low budget re-enactments remains super creepy.  But the cases are interesting, despite it not doing much to differentiate itself from all the other true crime shows around today.

Original one has its own channel on PlutoTV :(Y):

9 hours ago, Maxx said:

It’s not as good as the original, which thanks to Robert Stack and low budget re-enactments remains super creepy.  But the cases are interesting, despite it not doing much to differentiate itself from all the other true crime shows around today.

Original one has its own channel on PlutoTV :(Y):

Yea, watched 2 episodes and thats how I feel about it.  Interesting stories, but just using the Unsolved Mysteries name for the attention it brings

Yeah, I've watched the first three and it doesn't really feel like Unsolved Mysteries in any way -- its an okay true crime mystery-of-the-week with (looking ahead) a spattering of the paranormal. I didn't hate it and I honestly didn't miss a narrator (though obviously I love Robert Stack), to me it felt like the issue was stretching all the stories to an hour instead of having a couple shorter mysteries per episode. For something like that I do think you need the narrator to pull it all together, but for one mystery per episode I don't know if its really necessary.

episode 1:

I also haaaaate when shows like this give grieving families a platform to get on tv and cry "oh they could neverrrrrr kill themselves" when by all accounts it seems like a suicide. Like, believe me I have even less faith in Baltimore cops than I do any other cops, but come on...

oh and maxx re: ep 2

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh I think her husband was creepy and possessive af and a shitty person but i'm also not convinced he murdered her though that definitely seems to be what a lot of people on twitter and other places are saying.