General Television Thread

Hellfire

8 hours ago, Lint said:

I feel like Cobra Kai could've been titled "They Should've Talked It Out" because all the conflicts could be solved if people just talked shit out first.

Reveal hidden contents

And how have NONE of the kids been arrested yet?  Like, Robby should be in jail following what happened at the end of S2.  Eli/Hawk should've been arrested multiple times over.

I do like Daniels wife (Amanda?).  She's really the only sane, level-headed person on the show

The whole entire thing is that its a series of misunderstandings and flat out manipulations that's keeping Daniel and Johnny from settling their differences. 

To answer part of your spoiler question, I want somethung much worse than jail to happen to that last character.

Edited by GhostMachine

On 15/09/2020 at 08:16, Monkey D. Lars said:

Just watched the first episode of Line of Duty, could it be I stumbled upon another great British show?

Line of Duty is brilliant!  The last season was a slight letdown imo, but still good, and all the seasons leading up to it are great TV. 

Also, besides the amount of drama, a work colleague who has experience of the police force was praising it for it being more accurate than most UK police shows for how the force acts / the rules around their jobs etc. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Liam Mk2 said:

Man, Hawk in Cobra Kai is suuuuch a cunt.

Spoiler

Beating up his former best friend, THEN still siding with Kreese after what happened to Miguel? If Miguel doesn't end up in a wheelchair, hopefully someone beats Hawk's ass and cripples him so he ends up in one. He's already crossed the line and turned into a total scumbag.

My theory is that Demetri is going to be the one who stops Hawk, and throwing him into the trophy case was just a foreshadowing of that.

We started watching Ratched on Netflix the other day. It's a prequel of sorts to One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, focusing on Nurse Ratched's beginnings as a nurse. 

I have no idea what to think of it yet, it's not bad but it's not pulling me in that much. It's kind of just there. 

On 23/09/2020 at 01:39, Liam Mk2 said:

We started watching Ratched on Netflix the other day. It's a prequel of sorts to One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, focusing on Nurse Ratched's beginnings as a nurse. 

I have no idea what to think of it yet, it's not bad but it's not pulling me in that much. It's kind of just there. 

The Angel of Mercy episodes are pretty good. I stopped there so far, though, because there's so much more I'm interested in watching.

I'm probably not going to watch it, for two reasons:

1. No one is going to outdue Louise Fletcher as that character.

2. Sarah Paulson. Not a fan. I can't think of a single movie I enjoyed her in. Not even Birdbox, before her character died. And (besides the shitty ending) she was one of the worst things about Glass. To me, she's a boring actress.

The entire premise of Ratched just falls on deaf ears for me. She's one of those legendary characters that lose some of their power and mystique when they are given unnecessary characterisation to explain why they are what they are.

It's like midichlorians, I don't need to know how the space magic works, just keep the magic as it is.

Nurse Ratched, as she's perfectly presented in ofotcn is one of the most powerful and endearing villains in cinema history.

I don't want to know why she became evil and sadistic. She doesn't need humanisation, it actively takes away from the original work by stripping away the magic.

• Like 1

You're right. Some characters just don't need explanation.

Marvel messed up Wolverine by explaining his real name and background.

DC is borderline fucking up the Joker by revealing there's 3 of them. The only thing worse would be finally revealing his/theirs real name(s) and backstory.

2 hours ago, Jasonmufc said:

The entire premise of Ratched just falls on deaf ears for me. She's one of those legendary characters that lose some of their power and mystique when they are given unnecessary characterisation to explain why they are what they are.

It's like midichlorians, I don't need to know how the space magic works, just keep the magic as it is.

Nurse Ratched, as she's perfectly presented in ofotcn is one of the most powerful and endearing villains in cinema history.

I don't want to know why she became evil and sadistic. She doesn't need humanisation, it actively takes away from the original work by stripping away the magic.

Yeah, "what if we gave a backstory and internal life to a character that's meant to be representative of a system that dehumanizes people" feels like it's missing the point, and I especially would never trust Ryan Murphy to do something interesting with that. It feels like the point where the "what if we make an origin story movie/show for this iconic villain" wave has outright taken a step too far, where up until now it was maybe just a tired trope for me. It does gangbusters every time, though, so I expect thirty years from now I'll be floating in a pod with a ten-episode miniseries about Young Anton Chigurh being beamed into my head.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Liam Mk2 said:

As someone who has only really played FFVII and IX, is it worth playing XV? It looks like it might be a cracking game, but not really sure. 

Wrong thread?

Is it? Granted I tend to end up watching things later so some of these are either definitely finished or coming to an end, but on the clever side you've got the likes of Veep, Silicon Valley, Avenue 5 etc while for "broader" stuff Brooklyn 99 is excellent still, Good Place was great and while I doubt it got much critical acclaim we loved New Girl in our house. Just starting on Schitt's Creek and enjoying that. 

That's just on the US side too, still a bit gutted Friday Night Dinner ended but Ghosts is back and I'm finally catching up with Derry Girls which is fantastic.

Speaking of, finally watched the last two seasons of Silicon Valley. Season 5 feels like a show that was just hopelessly treading water (also good lord, the Tesla subplot felt overbearing) but I liked season 6 a lot. Having an endpoint did wonders for them.

• Like 2