General Television Thread

Hellfire

GLOW, Netflix’s female wrestling dramedy, will not be returning to the ring for a fourth and final season. The streamer has reversed its renewal decision, made more than a year ago, in August 2019. The series starring Alison Brie, Betty Gilpin and Marc Maron, has become the latest casualty of the coronavirus-related production shutdown.

“COVID has killed actual humans. It’s a national tragedy and should be our focus. COVID also apparently took down our show,” series creators Liz Flahive and Carly Mensch said in a statement to Deadline. “Netflix has decided not to finish filming the final season of GLOW. We were handed the creative freedom to make a complicated comedy about women and tell their stories. And wrestle. And now that’s gone. There’s a lot of sh*tty things happening in the world that are much bigger than this right now. But it still sucks that we don’t get to see these 15 women in a frame together again.”

Added Flahive and Mensch: “We’ll miss our cast of weirdo clowns and our heroic crew. It was the best job.” They ending their note to fans with a plea: “Register to vote. And please vote.”

https://deadline.com/2020/10/glow-canceled-netflix-wont-proceed-no-season-4-final-season-renewal-reversal-covid-19-creators-liz-flahive-and-carly-mensch-react-to-cancellation-1234591535/

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, Subject Delta said:

And with that, I stop bothering with new Netflix shows. Sick of getting into them only for them not to get any decent closure. It's like being a fan of Sci-Fi on FOX in the early 00s.

It makes me nervous for the future of Away, but honestly if Away ends with just one season, I'm okay with that too.

19 minutes ago, Rukaru Shida said:

I was not expecting IT like horror, but here we are.

Yeah, somewhere at the intersection of IT and It Follows was that one. I'm gonna have that fucking song stuck in my head all week.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Yeah, somewhere at the intersection of IT and It Follows was that one. I'm gonna have that fucking song stuck in my head all week.

How is It Follows? It sounds like an interesting concept. 

42 minutes ago, Rukaru Shida said:

How is It Follows? It sounds like an interesting concept. 

For me it's one of the best horror movies of the last decade, though I know mileage may vary (the ending is divisive and some people haggle over the rules of the monster). If you like creeping dread horror it's great, and it only does jump scares like... twice and one of them is an all-timer.

• Like 1

Ratched isn’t bad if you like AHS. It plays it loose and fast with the OFOTCN connection at this point, it’s ok.

Fuck ending GLOW, Netflix is the goodwill originator of this kind of TV, if you’re going to end stuff they really should be giving things proper arcs so down the line the people who haven’t watched it can watch it in full.

It sounds like Covid restrictions mean that they weren't likely to be filming the wrestling scenes for a while and that was one of the main reasons it went. Interesting take when you consider actual wrestling companies are operating atm. Suspect acting guilds etc take a dimmer view of contact sports-esque work than wrestling promoters haha. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tigerstyle said:

if you’re going to end stuff they really should be giving things proper arcs so down the line the people who haven’t watched it can watch it in full.

Nah, the original series of Twin Peaks ends in a cliffhanger and it's great.

People get too bogged down in the idea that stories have to resolve themselves completely in order to be satisfying.

1 minute ago, Hobo said:

Nah, the original series of Twin Peaks ends in a cliffhanger and it's great.

People get too bogged down in the idea that stories have to resolve themselves completely in order to be satisfying.

Granted, the end of most TV shows don’t have satisfying closure - most are awful.

But if you have no intention of continuing with say, Sabrina, then just let them know in advance so they can write a conclusion to their story.

On 07/10/2020 at 08:57, DFF said:

It sounds like Covid restrictions mean that they weren't likely to be filming the wrestling scenes for a while and that was one of the main reasons it went. Interesting take when you consider actual wrestling companies are operating atm. Suspect acting guilds etc take a dimmer view of contact sports-esque work than wrestling promoters haha. 

Yeah, I'm all for Netflix being shamed for being shitters with cancelling shows lately, but this is probably the one time they're not doing it for shits and giggles. Apparently they weren't likely to finish filming and post-production for release until 2022 and based of the numbers they didn't think people would care at that point. Which I get, I liked Glow but I never got the impression it had much of a following.

I think it had a big enough one that would follow to the end but that could just be an extremely online thing and less so an actual audience. I'm sure Netflix didn't want to pay to keep not just the whole cast, but especially Betty Gilpin and Alison Brie's, contract options open that long though, either. 

3 minutes ago, LittleDaniel said:

Does anyone know a non-wrestling fan that was a big fan? I suspect we might be overhyping its fanbase tbh

Yeah, I am in a discord with a bunch of television fans who seemed pretty bummed it was cancelled. Hudson, my podcasting co-host also said he was never interested in wrestling and his only two references for pro wrestling were the GLOW tv show and the GLOW documentary.

• Like 1

/r/television was pissed it got cancelled, to a much greater degree than most other TV show cancellations this year. I don't love that sub but it is usually a decent reflection of people who consider themselves to be into TV.

That's still probably not huge numbers, but it was definitely not solely wrestling fans who liked it.

• Like 2