General Television Thread

Hellfire

19 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

Bad ending, season was just meh overall, or both?

Yeah, just a 'meh' season.

It's a talented cast but I feel like Oh and Comer are working with increasingly thin material, absence of punchy dialogue and I'm just caring less and less about the 'relationship' between their characters when it's so central to the entire show. Just feel like it's leaning more into an aesthetic (trying to emulate what Waller-Bridge produced in the first season) than anything new or with substance.

Lucifer season 5 part one (8 episodes) was added to Netflix yesterday, and I watched the first six.

Did not disappoint, but there's an episode that was a 1940's flashback andmostly in black and white, and it was the best episode of the season so far, despite being extra cheesy.

Also, not going to explain why, but if you've ever wanted to hear Tom Ellis do an American accent, you'll be happy with this season.

*edited to add* I finally finished it. And....wow. Cannot wait for the rest of the episodes. According to an interview Tom Ellis, the reasoning for splitting the season in half is that they didn't get to finish the finale before Covid-19 hit, and they decided to do that rather than making everyone wait for the season entirely. They still have about 60% of the finale to finish.

Oh, and regarding the half-season finale (or is that season half-finale, since 8 more episodes to go?):

Spoiler

Looks like those of us without Allstate insurance are going to go to Hell.....

Edited by GhostMachine
  • Like 1

I'm rewatching the Shield for like the 4th time and I am at season 5 again. Forest Whitaker is just so awesome as Jon Kavanaugh. Anyway, every rewatch I just binge this damn show. Might be my all time favorite alongside the Office.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IkaJnvzLx4 

This is such a great scene. 

Agents of Shield -so glad season 7 is back to form. Really didn't like season 6 and the first couple of episodes felt shaky, but the second a character from Agent Carter was brought in it picked back up massively. Got about five episodes left and I'm going to miss the show a bunch when it is gone, but it's going out on a high of a season and considering it seems to have been on the bubble every year since it started, that's an impressive run.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone interested, the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica is on the iplayer currently. 

All four seasons, plus the mini-series prequel and the Razor 2 part spin-off from between S3 and 4. 

Just finished Once Upon a Time's final two seasons after dropping it years ago. Really glad with how it ended and the last two seasons. It was a show that really struggling with Disney tampering and having to get tie-ins involved, but there was always a good core. Disappointed Tilly only gets one season as a character because she was wonderful, but glad the show went out on a high rather than the repetitive mess seasons 3-5 were.

Anybody else watcing Lovecraft Country? I feel like some of the CGI hasn't totally hit the mark but I quite like the idea of doing a different theme of the horror genre each week, while also showing that people are often even more horrific than any ghost, monster or whatever. 

• Like 1

On 12/09/2020 at 17:03, DFF said:

For anyone interested, the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica is on the iplayer currently. 

All four seasons, plus the mini-series prequel and the Razor 2 part spin-off from between S3 and 4. 

I remember loving season 1 and 2, and thrn it falling off the rails partway through 3. Weren't they planning a new series? I'd be all over that. 

5 hours ago, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:

Anybody else watcing Lovecraft Country? I feel like some of the CGI hasn't totally hit the mark but I quite like the idea of doing a different theme of the horror genre each week, while also showing that people are often even more horrific than any ghost, monster or whatever. 

I'm really liking it! I was personally hoping for more Lovecraft type monsters based, but what they've done is fantastic. 

• Like 1

BSG was great throughout, I thought! I know some didn't like the actual 'ending', but I was fine wth it. 

8 hours ago, Benji said:

Just finished Once Upon a Time's final two seasons after dropping it years ago. Really glad with how it ended and the last two seasons. It was a show that really struggling with Disney tampering and having to get tie-ins involved, but there was always a good core. Disappointed Tilly only gets one season as a character because she was wonderful, but glad the show went out on a high rather than the repetitive mess seasons 3-5 were.

Ah, we gave up during the final season. With it ending it felt a bit off having that soft reboot. Tbh, the show should have ended a few years previously. The only way it could have actually kept continuing on would have been to actually kill off characters and introduce new ones, but they kept cycling through the same cast members far too often. 

1 hour ago, DFF said:

BSG was great throughout, I thought! I know some didn't like the actual 'ending', but I was fine wth it. 

Ah, we gave up during the final season. With it ending it felt a bit off having that soft reboot. Tbh, the show should have ended a few years previously. The only way it could have actually kept continuing on would have been to actually kill off characters and introduce new ones, but they kept cycling through the same cast members far too often. 

Yeah I felt similarly. I was glad they got rid of three major characters and one bad actor but kept the character for the season, which was why I gave the last season a chance despite season six having a good ending. It was never a great show, but it was decent popcorn.

2 hours ago, Liam Mk2 said:

We've been binging Cobra Kai. 

It's gloriously cheesy, simplistic and filled with terrible acting - but I love it. 

Weird - I binged both seasons in one day yesterday. I've never seen the movies, but have a passing knowledge of them and the characters.

But hoooooly shit, the ending to S2. Oh my god.

20 minutes ago, tristy said:

Weird - I binged both seasons in one day yesterday. I've never seen the movies, but have a passing knowledge of them and the characters.

But hoooooly shit, the ending to S2. Oh my god.

We only about half-way through the second season at the moment.

But my brother said the ending was pretty good and sounded like a decent cliff-hanger. That’s what I gauged anyway.

I find it difficult to know who to get behind as well, the face/heel dynamic in this story is very muddled. I do kind of dislike adult Daniel LaRusso though.

I dislike both Daniel and Johnny, but it varies depending on the episode. Sometimes Daniel is justified, sometimes Johnny is, but then sometimes they're both immature assholes, and then sometimes only one will be, etc. But one thing that's a constant is that people get pulled into their orbit and are usually negatively affected by their feud or individual actions.

The only person I'm rooting for right now is for Tory.

I fucking HATE Robby.

I think my level of enthusiasm for Lovecraft Country wavers a lot from week to week, which makes sense given that the show basically swings from one horror subgenre to another each week. The one this week was right up my alley, makes all the sense in the world a show like this would eventually get to body horror.

• Like 1

I feel like Cobra Kai could've been titled "They Should've Talked It Out" because all the conflicts could be solved if people just talked shit out first.

Spoiler

And how have NONE of the kids been arrested yet?  Like, Robby should be in jail following what happened at the end of S2.  Eli/Hawk should've been arrested multiple times over.

I do like Daniels wife (Amanda?).  She's really the only sane, level-headed person on the show