General Television Thread

Hellfire

On 07/10/2020 at 03:57, DFF said:

It sounds like Covid restrictions mean that they weren't likely to be filming the wrestling scenes for a while and that was one of the main reasons it went. Interesting take when you consider actual wrestling companies are operating atm. Suspect acting guilds etc take a dimmer view of contact sports-esque work than wrestling promoters haha. 

Until I got to that last line, I was about to say "One of these groups is protected by a union, one isn't"

12 hours ago, Maxx said:

It took me way too long to realize that was Walton Goggins

Hey so, what does everyone think of watching X-Files in 2020? It's a series that missed me entirely as a kid, I don't fully know why - and while I've watched an episode here and there I haven't really committed to a sit down. I know there's a lot of talented writers involved and I like Duchovny and Anderson as well... plus my interest in the supernatural kind of puts it in my wheelhouse.

What does everyone think? Does it hold up?

I never watched it during the original run, but I watched it all ~2009 and then watched the first twoish seasons again earlier this year. While some episodes are definitely better than others, I do think overall that the monster of the week episodes are generally good fun. Was never a huge fan of the convoluted conspiracy storyline, but the strengths of the good episodes are enough to make it worth watching I think.

My partner and I tried to do a watch through of X-Files a couple years ago because it should be right up our alley, but I think we got a little bit into season two and just gave up. If there wasn't anything else to watch, I'm sure we could have been okay to keep going, but it just wasn't enough. We took a break to watch something that had just been released, and then never went back.

Twin Peaks holds up so much better. We just watched the first season of that in the spring when they closed everything in BC.

I'd definitely recommend giving X-Files a go, but I don't think I can tell anyone that it's a sure-fire hit for them. Get through the first season and if you're still interested, keep going. It's an important show to the history of television science-fiction, and there are so many guest spots featuring people you'll have come to know from other things over the years... but it just failed to keep us engaged.

Anyone watching the Haunting of Bly Manor? 

We started last night, watched the first three episodes. Really enjoying it so far, I read online that the first half of the season is "boring" but I found it pretty gripping to be honest. Clearly they're telling a story, and telling a story takes time. Pretty spooky and atmospheric and decent acting all-around so far.

8 minutes ago, Liam Mk2 said:

We started last night, watched the first three episodes. Really enjoying it so far, I read online that the first half of the season is "boring" but I found it pretty gripping to be honest. Clearly they're telling a story, and telling a story takes time. Pretty spooky and atmospheric and decent acting all-around so far.

I liked it but it was not what I thought I was sitting down to watch. The first season was much scarier. I think the storytelling in season 2 was better but there were barely any moments that got me, horror-wise.

5 minutes ago, Liam Mk2 said:

We finished it last night. People complaining about it being boring are just not into slow-build stories. Bly Manor isn't so much a ghost story or horror tale as it is a story about characters and love. The horror elements of this season are pretty cool, but just like Hill House, they are there as a complimentary piece to a complex long-form narrative.

Hill House was traditionally scarier, but even then, wasn't a show about the horror so much as a show about the people, complimented by the horror.

Bly Manor hurt more when it was over. It may just resonate with me a bit more than it would with the general audience, because of the things I have experienced and my mental illnesses, but there was a sinking feeling in my gut as my mind started to piece together where the whole thing was going, and I almost felt empty as the credits rolled.

I definitely think this season is as good as the first one. Not better, but not worse. I have them on par, but they are two totally different beasts.

23 hours ago, apsham said:

Hey so, what does everyone think of watching X-Files in 2020? It's a series that missed me entirely as a kid, I don't fully know why - and while I've watched an episode here and there I haven't really committed to a sit down. I know there's a lot of talented writers involved and I like Duchovny and Anderson as well... plus my interest in the supernatural kind of puts it in my wheelhouse.

What does everyone think? Does it hold up?

I watched it growing up but my wife and I did a rewatch a while back. I seem to think we started watching every episode of the early seasons but I found a couple of watch lists recommending selected later ones as the quality dropped. I'd say it's still worth it.

Or if you don't bother just watch the Rhys Darby episode of the revival series. Everyone just watch that immediately. 

33 minutes ago, tristy said:

In news that absolutely nobody asked for, Dexter is officially returning apparently.

I'm actually fine with this. Either ignore the final season, or even carry on and give us a better finale!