General Television Thread

Hellfire

Me when this news broke on twitter: whose elliot page?

Me an hour later when I actually saw news articles: oooh, it's Eliot Page!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Subject Delta said:

Also first F2M transition in the mainstream that I know of.

So one thing I keep seeing is people saying he's a trans man or whatever. As far as I can tell, Elliot identifies as trans and masc-leaning, but also non-binary, meaning they may not identify as a "man", just that they prefer he/him (and they/them) pronouns to anything else.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Also, on the separate topic of trans men, Chaz Bono has been in the spotlight for quite some time.

That said, I’m extremely happy for Elliot Page. It’s been really cool to see media outlets NOT deadname him and show respect.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:

So one thing I keep seeing is people saying he's a trans man or whatever. As far as I can tell, Elliot identifies as trans and masc-leaning, but also non-binary, meaning they may not identify as a "man", just that they prefer he/him (and they/them) pronouns to anything else.

Ah my bad, honest mistake, didn't realise there was a difference. Sorry.

3 hours ago, Josh Mulaney said:

Also, on the separate topic of trans men, Chaz Bono has been in the spotlight for quite some time.

That said, I’m extremely happy for Elliot Page. It’s been really cool to see media outlets NOT deadname him and show respect.

I don't know who Chaz Bono is.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Josh Mulaney said:

Son of Sonny Bono and Cher. He’s had a varied career, but last I knew he was acting. When he came out as trans it was all over the news and he was not treated kindly.

Ohhh yeah I do actually know of him, though I'm not greatly familiar with his work. Should have been a giveaway really with the surname. Genuinely didn't even know he was trans either!

Anyone ever watch Designated Survivor? Does it end properly or was the rug pulled out from under it?

Basically just got Netflix and am looking for shows that I’m not going to get into and then get annoyed when it just ends.

Binged season one of Stranger Things in two days also - bloody brilliant stuff.

3 hours ago, Cymbols said:

Anyone ever watch Designated Survivor? Does it end properly or was the rug pulled out from under it?

Basically just got Netflix and am looking for shows that I’m not going to get into and then get annoyed when it just ends.

They set up something that very well could have been the plot for another season, but wasn't exactly a cliffhanger or anything. You can watch it without worrying. I even recommended it to a few people after it ended. 

The only jarring change for the last season is language. Some cursing is used since they weren't limited by being on a network anymore. But it did make the show more realistic.

• Like 2

I'm watching the new Big Mouth season and I'm only like maybe 5 minutes in and I like it. Josie Totah as the show's first trans character seems like it might be good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, How The Cloud Stole Christ said:

I'm watching the new Big Mouth season and I'm only like maybe 5 minutes in and I like it. Josie Totah as the show's first trans character seems like it might be good.

I'm 6 episodes in and am really enjoying it. I love that they aren't afraid to tackle issues that seem "taboo" to talk about so openly.

So I didn’t think it would be possible to find a better television show than The Office, but holy shit is Stranger Things right up there. Watched the entire thing in a week.

Season 2-3 spoilers below

Spoiler

The Steve - Dustin dynamic is absolutely the best part of the whole thing, absolute gold. And the Never Ending Story thing while chaos was happening everywhere else. Amazing.

• Like 3

On 05/12/2020 at 01:01, Cymbols said:

Binged season one of Stranger Things in two days also - bloody brilliant stuff.

I enjoyed it, though the tone is all over the place. I believe they had a host of showrunners over a short period of time. Some played it as a relatively serious drama, others wanted a more 24-style action-y show with some espionage and its sort did a bit of each. 

3 hours ago, Rukaru Shida said:

Right?!

Yeah I saw your post about it. I'm a part of the Discworld bookclub group on Facebook, and they are absolutely rabid. If you mention you are looking forward to it they attack you saying you are pissing on the legacy of Pratchett, you're not a real fan, etc. It's so toxic.

I'm a big Discworld fan. The Watch is completely different to the books. They have taken inspiration. But it still looks great. I actually prefer they have adapted it instead of trying to make it like the books, as they would never have got it right in the first place.

• Like 1

Thats sort of my stance on it. I enjoyed the David Jason adaptations that were made but you run the risk of ruining it far more if you stick rigidly to something and can't pull it off. Pratchett was far and away my favourite author, I'm not totally in love with some of the things they've chosen to do with The Watch but I'll still give it a go. It might be a terrible discworld show, but that doesn't mean it can't be a great show in its own right.

• Like 1