General Television Thread

Hellfire

I'd say Lovecraft Country is worth sticking with for a couple of episodes at least to see if you like the take on horror subgenres it does. "Strange Case" and "Meet Me in Daegu" (episodes 5 and 6) in particular are both really good. Buuuut also like I said I think it's stringing along a plot that's more interesting to me in theory than in execution and I don't know if I have any desire to watch a second season.

44 minutes ago, GoGo Yubari said:

I'd say Lovecraft Country is worth sticking with for a couple of episodes at least to see if you like the take on horror subgenres it does. "Strange Case" and "Meet Me in Daegu" (episodes 5 and 6) in particular are both really good. Buuuut also like I said I think it's stringing along a plot that's more interesting to me in theory than in execution and I don't know if I have any desire to watch a second season.

I'm going to give my thoughts on the show's take on the Tulsa massacre.

Spoiler

I really didn't like their use of it as an hourglass of sorts. They travelled back in time and I guess I sort of get that they can't change history or whatever, but like, they were able to take the Book of Names back, which implies that you can change history. I think my view of it is also tainted because Watchmen did Tulsa soooo well.

I think the point was

Spoiler

Taking the Book of Names doesn't alter any of their trajectories after that point, right? It was a thing that was going to get lost in the house burning down regardless, so it going from 1921 to the show's present wouldn't have any potentially adverse effects on history. Saving... Thomas, I think his name was would have (or so Atticus thought) potentially altered the course of history for Montrose and by proxy everyone else in any number of unforeseen ways.

But also, Tic being the one who saves Montrose and George sort of also suggests that their assumptions were wrong the whole time. I don't know, I hate time travel plots because it's all circular stuff like that. Maybe that's a thing they go back to if there's another season but probably not.

Several years ago, I stopped watching Nip/Tuck after season 4 because even for a trash TV show it was trashy. I then one day decided to try Season 5. It was terrible.

Now I have decided I may as well finish the show I started so long ago. It's still terrible, but my desire to finish something I've started it so strong 😕

If you really need to watch some Julian McMahon, just wait for FBI Most Wanted to return. 

Now, for what I came here to post....

Latest eliminated Masked Singer contestant: The legend himself 

Spoiler

Bob Saget!

Maybe it's due to only certain episodes or series being shown in the UK, but I have absolutely no recollection of Aunt Viv being recast, nor do I recognise the replacement actress.

3 hours ago, apsham said:

The second I read what you typed, I didn't even need to open the spoiler or watch the video to know what it was.

Spoiler

Haven't watched the trailer but i am guessing the `surprise' is.....the original Aunt Viv?

Edited by GhostMachine

3 hours ago, Gazz said:

Maybe it's due to only certain episodes or series being shown in the UK, but I have absolutely no recollection of Aunt Viv being recast, nor do I recognise the replacement actress.

They had three seasons each, it was jarring because of how episodes jumped around on the station that I watched growing up.

13 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

Wait for the end. It's a genuine surprise.

Hide contents

Janet Hubert reuniting with the rest of the cast is akin to Bret Hart hugging Shawn Michaels on Raw.

"How come he don't want me man?"

Fuck...all these years later, still tear up

Just a friendly reminder that we're a little over half a month away from voting opening on EWB's Favorite TV Show 2020! It's obviously been a very weird year for TV; right now American Ninja Warrior of all things is the bubble show on my top 15. I think my "to try and watch before I close the voting" list is Star Trek Discovery, The Good Lord Bird, and maaaaaybe The Queen's Gambit.

• Like 2

I’m guessing the Brits know about it already, but folx should really check out The Goes Wrong Show. It’s on Amazon Prime here in the U.S. It’s essentially Noises Off as a half hour sitcom and it is stunning. Some episodes are better than others (there’s just 6 and a special so far), but they’re all delightful.

If you’re aware of the play The Show That Goes Wrong, it’s the very same group doing it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Josh Mulaney said:

I’m guessing the Brits know about it already, but folx should really check out The Goes Wrong Show. It’s on Amazon Prime here in the U.S. It’s essentially Noises Off as a half hour sitcom and it is stunning. Some episodes are better than others (there’s just 6 and a special so far), but they’re all delightful.

If you’re aware of the play The Show That Goes Wrong, it’s the very same group doing it.

Will add this to my Watch List.

• Like 1