General Television Thread

Hellfire

What's the complaint? Having loved the books 20 years ago (I should definitely catch up) I've just watched the trailer and it doesn't feel like it's completely different unless I'm being very simple? Obviously Pratchett is brilliant at creating worlds but I don't feel like the look of that is completely incompatible. The IMDb trivia has quotes from Neil Gaiman and Rhianna Pratchett where they're a bit dismissive, but I'm willing to give it a go.

What's it going to be on in the UK?

They've gender swapped a few characters, Sam Vimes seems to have a completely different personality and it doesn't feel like it's set in the discworld, like the sort of atmosphere/set dressing with the neon and shit? All of which I personally don't think are necessarily deal breakers (possibly Vimes being so different but not as much to avoid it altogether) but the main thing I've saw that upset people is that they've cast a young, attractive, and crucially, slim actor to play Sam's wife Sybil, who has always been described as an older fat lady.

Its made by BBC America so it'll be on a BBC channel but doesn't seem to have a set air date yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colly said:

What's the complaint? Having loved the books 20 years ago (I should definitely catch up) I've just watched the trailer and it doesn't feel like it's completely different unless I'm being very simple? Obviously Pratchett is brilliant at creating worlds but I don't feel like the look of that is completely incompatible. The IMDb trivia has quotes from Neil Gaiman and Rhianna Pratchett where they're a bit dismissive, but I'm willing to give it a go.

What's it going to be on in the UK?

Pratchett Stan's are pretty toxic, like most Stans are. The fact it isn't a word-for-word remake means it's a tarnish to his legacy.

• Like 1

I'm forever grateful that I not only don't associate with these people I also don't ever come across the word stan...

I feel like neon and shit could easily work in a Discworld setting to be honest, and complaining about a gender swap in 2020 feels very old hat. I don't think I saw Nobbs though which is a worry.

2 hours ago, TheGrandAvatar said:

Been stuck what to watch really of late. So end up making my way through Haunting of Hill House, You, American Horror Story: Hotel. 

Hill House and Bly Manor are worth a go. Its kind of fun looking in the scenes for the hidden ghosts. 

Other than that its reruns of Poirot and Marple. 

I watched Hill House about a month ago and thought it was very good. I've heard that Bly Manor isn't quite up to the same standard, so I haven't given that a look yet.

On 05/12/2020 at 07:37, How The Cloud Stole Christ said:

I'm watching the new Big Mouth season and I'm only like maybe 5 minutes in and I like it. Josie Totah as the show's first trans character seems like it might be good.

I watched it and was pleasantly surprised on the whole. It's a show I've watched previously, and while it had its moments, I can't say I was much of a fan because I couldn't really relate to it at all. It's still a crude show that sometimes annoys me, but I think it has more of a heart than it did before.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

I watched Hill House about a month ago and thought it was very good. I've heard that Bly Manor isn't quite up to the same standard, so I haven't given that a look yet.

I watched it and was pleasantly surprised on the whole. It's a show I've watched previously, and while it had its moments, I can't say I was much of a fan because I couldn't really relate to it at all. It's still a crude show that sometimes annoys me, but I think it has more of a heart than it did before.

Granted, I've only seen each once when they released, but I may actually like Bly Manor more than Hill House. They're very different beasts though. Hill House has more of the traditional horror type stuff that you would expect. Bly Manor is much more of a personal or introspective horror.

I highly recommend watching it, but knowing that the horror involved is more situational and personal than what we got in Hill House.

I just know that Bly Manor stuck with me a lot longer after the fact, with some of the twists and turns feeling like a punch to the gut because I could relate to what was happening on a psychological level.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

Hill House and Bly Manor are both different in their horror tone and vibe. Both are worth a watch in the series. Fans will have their own preference to which one they enjoyed the most.

Finished the last film in the Small Axe anthology and it's one of the best things I've ever seen on TV, Steve McQueen is a genius. Obviously, 2020 was a bit shit. But the fact we got Small Axe and I May Destroy You broadcast on the nation's flagship channel feels worth celebrating, hopefully we keep investing in our best creatives to continue to challenge audiences by holding up a mirror to our past, present and future. 

Well this is certainly an interesting project...

"The rockstar couple’s relationship dominated the tabloids for years, including the scandal of when their sex tape from their honeymoon was stolen and leaked to the public. Seth Rogen is likely to play the man who stole the tape with I, Tonya director Craig Gillespie helming the series."

i just watched the first episode of Humans on netflix, and then figured i should probably go see if it was cancelled early. It was. Is it worth watching? Does it finish properly? I hate watching shows that were cancelled early and dont resolve things.

I thought it was alright, with some very good episodes here and there. I seem to think the ending was vaguely resolved though with a reason for another series but I could be wrong. It didn't feel like a jarring cliffhanger from what I remember.

Binged the first three episodes of season five of The Expanse today. That show really has gone from strength to strength, especially these past few Amazon seasons.

On 16/12/2020 at 14:50, Colly said:

I thought it was alright, with some very good episodes here and there. I seem to think the ending was vaguely resolved though with a reason for another series but I could be wrong. It didn't feel like a jarring cliffhanger from what I remember.

Thanks! I watched it based on this..

To clarify if anyone else is thinking of watching it, it has an ending a bit like every movie does nowadays, where the storyline you've been enjoying wraps up well enough, but they leave room for a sequel.

I didn't even realize Eddie Izzard identifies as genderfluid, but she's come out as preferring she/her pronouns. Was on Portrait Artist Of The Year and said as much.

• Like 1

On 13/12/2020 at 13:56, Josh Mulaney said:

Has anyone watched The Flight Attendant on HBO Max? I had a friend tell me it’s a really good murder mystery. If true, I’m into that.

Just finished it and it's very good. Gonna need to re-do my tv rankings now. 

Edited by livid
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, How The Cloud Stole Christ said:

John Mulaney checked into rehab, for alcohol and cocaine abuse. He had been sober for 15 years.

Can't say I find that surprising.  As someone who refers to himself as a 'borderline alcoholic', I've been finding that borderline is pushed more and more during 2020.

Hope he pulls through it though.