General Television Thread

Hellfire

8 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Just a friendly reminder that we're a little over half a month away from voting opening on EWB's Favorite TV Show 2020! It's obviously been a very weird year for TV; right now American Ninja Warrior of all things is the bubble show on my top 15. I think my "to try and watch before I close the voting" list is Star Trek Discovery, The Good Lord Bird, and maaaaaybe The Queen's Gambit.

Would Tiger King count as a tv show?

This might be the first year that I don't participate in the voting. I don't think I've watched hardly anything that's "new" this year. The pandemic kind of shuttered everything, and then it also changed which days of the week I work, so I really only have time to catch up on AEW on the weekends and play video games. And watch Desus & Mero.

I think this year I've watched more YouTube channels than actual TV shows (or movies, for that matter).

I don't mind getting abbreviated lists at all, but either way I get it, especially if it's like "this is the only thing I watched but it's not like I love it." I'm expecting probably lighter turnout this year given... everything about it.

This year has progressed in such a strange way it's going to be tough for me to remember what I actually watched this year compared to last. I might struggle to come up with a list of 10 eligible shows despite the fact I've watched plenty this year.

I've started compiling my list and honestly I think half of it is just average. Why did I watch half of this?

Immediate question, does Bojack Horseman count given they split season 6 into two parts? I'm also assuming The Good Place doesn't count since it started last year.

Given that both Bojack and The Good Place aired new episodes this year, they're eligible. That's what counts rather than when the season starts.

And yeah, this year more than any other I'm glad that I actually keep a shortlist of what I've watched in a general order of how much I liked it throughout the year. I keep going back to it and seeing shows I liked that I'd almost forgot watching.

• Like 1

Cool, provisional list drafted. Not going to rank them until closer to the time since some are still airing.

AP Bio is probably the one I'm saddest about excluding since I don't think we've had season 3 in the UK yet so I haven't seen it. Seasons 1 and 2 were great.

I might compile a personal list of my top ten or so episodes from this year too because there are some truly amazing ones. "The View From Halfway Down," "Bad Choice Road," "East/West," "Jackie Daytona"...

Ooh I've actually have a shot at filling out all 15 spots this year -- I've got 5 shows i definitely want to include, five i might add depending on if I can't think of anything better/the new His Dark Materials season that just stared is better than the pretty meh first, and then a couple shows I want to either finish (like Lovecraft Country) or start that might end up on the final list.

Though, to be fair, one of those maybes is "that show where the Osbournes hang out in their basement and watch spoopy videos from the internet" so I dunno if I'm convinced this was a good year for tv

6 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Given that both Bojack and The Good Place aired new episodes this year, they're eligible. That's what counts rather than when the season starts.

And yeah, this year more than any other I'm glad that I actually keep a shortlist of what I've watched in a general order of how much I liked it throughout the year. I keep going back to it and seeing shows I liked that I'd almost forgot watching.

Oh my god, it's going to be hard picking which of those shows are 1 and 2 :( It's probably Bojack, but that could be recency bias because I watched that around August and the Good Place when it aired. 

6 hours ago, Jericode said:

Cool, provisional list drafted. Not going to rank them until closer to the time since some are still airing.

AP Bio is probably the one I'm saddest about excluding since I don't think we've had season 3 in the UK yet so I haven't seen it. Seasons 1 and 2 were great.

I stopped I think halfway through season 2 (during the winter break), I was so happy that I found it because it's really great, right? Did the second half get even better?

6 hours ago, Moses Julep said:

It’s actually been a pretty fantastic year of television I find. A lot of great thirty-minute shows, some awesome miniseries and Better Call Saul probably having its best outing yet. 

I just finished season 1 of Better Call Saul, it's good but I don't think it's as good as Breaking Bad was. Does it reach the same heights?

6 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

I might compile a personal list of my top ten or so episodes from this year too because there are some truly amazing ones. "The View From Halfway Down," "Bad Choice Road," "East/West," "Jackie Daytona"...

Oh man, the "View From Halfway Down", fuck what an episode. 

1 hour ago, Benjamin said:

I stopped I think halfway through season 2 (during the winter break), I was so happy that I found it because it's really great, right? Did the second half get even better?

Yeah I really enjoyed the whole season. Shame it got cancelled and then season 3 was shorter but I'll still immediately binge it when the UK get it.