General Television Thread

Hellfire

I think the answer to RPS's question is ultimately that they wanted to make it entertaining and batshit enough to get people talking. And boy are they. It is easily the most talked about thing not relating to coronavirus or politics of the past month, I'd say. Everyone seems to have seen it and everyone is talking about it, speculating or making jokes.

My opinion is that it was an interesting series but that it served little purpose in terms of its presentation and I absolutely felt the whole way through that none of these subjects were decent people at all. Carole Baskin didn't seem to treat her animals very well either based on what we did see of their enclosures. I definitely spent the whole thing wishing the story would become tigers eating the lot of them, and expressed that view plenty.

I used to work at a conservation park which housed all sorts of things, most notably lions, and I hate the capitalism-driven world of zoos. I hate it. Keeping endangered species alive, safe and looked after means a lot to me but these people in Tiger King all seemed to just be keeping them for their own financial benefit, as well as ego and to further their outlandish public profiles. Breeding them for no reason other than to be attractions is disgusting.

Louis Theroux's documentary ten years ago on Joe Exotic and Tim Stark was better and much less grubby.

10 hours ago, RPS said:

what about Doc?

The documentary says his compound was raided in December 2019.  There is another episode coming out soon that will probably feature an update

What about James?

I actually don't remember who James was...was he the strip club guy?

What about Joe?

On March 17, 2020, Maldonado-Passage filed a lawsuit against the United States federal government at the Grady County Jail. In the lawsuit, he asks for $94 million from the United States Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS). He is also seeking a presidential pardon from Donald Trump, and plans to represent himself in the lawsuit.[29] The lawsuit specifies damages by the USFWS of $79 million for the loss of his tigers. He also demands $15 million for false imprisonment and a litany of other charges including the death of his mother, Shirley. The lawsuit also accuses his former business partner, Jeff Lowe, of switching his medicine with illegal drugs and ruining his property

I don't think there was any specific purpose for the Tiger King documentary other than to create content and be entertaining, which it did. It certainly tries to be about starting a conversation regarding the privatization of wild animals, but well, we all know that's just bullshit and the people behind the documentary don't actually give a shit about the animals. The whole last five minutes whereby they have Joe Exotic give that whole speech about the two chimpanzees is just a smokescreen to pull at viewers heartstrings, to give the guise that they did this documentary with a purpose other than dollar signs.

Maybe the only good thing that will come out of it is people will think twice about wanting to take those stupid fucking photos with wild animals? I have no idea why people like doing shit like that anyway, it feels so unnatural. Making props out of live creatures for IG likes is despicable, but then most people, especially rich people, don't really give a shit. Especially if it's not about other human beings. 

If you guys have seen that video of the Undertaker and his wife at Doc's facility, it's super fucking gross. Just a bunch of tiger cubs and one full-grown one being made to pose with them in the swimming pool. So gross. I'm not exactly surprised he of all people did that, though.

As for Carole Baskin, she maybe isn't so obvious in her ways of being a scumbag piece of shit like Joe Exotic and Doc and Jeff Lowe, but she's an asshole as well. Her animals all due appeared to be rescued cats, and she doesn't appear to deal in breeding and selling them. However, she definitely is profiting off the cats by having them for viewing purposes on tour in their cages. For two weeks at a time they're allowed to be transferred to what is apparently bigger areas, but then I guess it's right back to the cages along the walkways for the tours? Not to mention, her staff are all apparently voluntary so she doesn't pay any of them so that she can be an accredited sanctuary, yet still makes money off of Big Cat Rescue's tours, sponsorship and social media feeds. 

3 hours ago, Benjamin said:

I don't think there was any specific purpose for the Tiger King documentary other than to create content and be entertaining, which it did. It certainly tries to be about starting a conversation regarding the privatization of wild animals, but well, we all know that's just bullshit and the people behind the documentary don't actually give a shit about the animals. The whole last five minutes whereby they have Joe Exotic give that whole speech about the two chimpanzees is just a smokescreen to pull at viewers heartstrings, to give the guise that they did this documentary with a purpose other than dollar signs.

Maybe the only good thing that will come out of it is people will think twice about wanting to take those stupid fucking photos with wild animals? I have no idea why people like doing shit like that anyway, it feels so unnatural. Making props out of live creatures for IG likes is despicable, but then most people, especially rich people, don't really give a shit. Especially if it's not about other human beings. 

If you guys have seen that video of the Undertaker and his wife at Doc's facility, it's super fucking gross. Just a bunch of tiger cubs and one full-grown one being made to pose with them in the swimming pool. So gross. I'm not exactly surprised he of all people did that, though.

As for Carole Baskin, she maybe isn't so obvious in her ways of being a scumbag piece of shit like Joe Exotic and Doc and Jeff Lowe, but she's an asshole as well. Her animals all due appeared to be rescued cats, and she doesn't appear to deal in breeding and selling them. However, she definitely is profiting off the cats by having them for viewing purposes on tour in their cages. For two weeks at a time they're allowed to be transferred to what is apparently bigger areas, but then I guess it's right back to the cages along the walkways for the tours? Not to mention, her staff are all apparently voluntary so she doesn't pay any of them so that she can be an accredited sanctuary, yet still makes money off of Big Cat Rescue's tours, sponsorship and social media feeds. 

I gather from online that the tours are only sporadic and that the scene in the movie was from their annual event where they open the park. 

22 minutes ago, RPS said:

I gather from online that the tours are only sporadic and that the scene in the movie was from their annual event where they open the park. 

Next you're going to tell me that it was slyly edited and framed in such a way as to infer that she definitely killed her husband! 😮

On 09/04/2020 at 15:13, Monkey D. Lars said:

So Modern Family had a good ending! 

Yeah, this season has not been good (which sucks because last season was a relatively strong comeback from the drain they were in for like 5 seasons before that), but that finale was not bad.

You could really see the genuine affection between the castmates, at the very least, which was nice to see.

16 hours ago, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:

There's no reason why Tiger King couldn't have gone more in-depth as to what negative affects these parks have on the animals in these zoos.

This post made me remember I wasted 7 hours on that pile of shit television show. 

• Like 4

On 11/04/2020 at 13:33, Monkey D. Lars said:

Now the Rescue Rangers are cannon in DuckTales? Season 3 is really off to a strong start!

Just started watching it and I love it, aside from the fact that it seems like some episodes are out of order on Disney+, because the pilot seemed to air at episodes 4 and 5 or something like that. 

And while I loved it, the fact that the Beagle Birthday Massacre episode was based off The Warriors, a movie from the 70s, makes me wonder how much of the target audience of a TV-Y rated show got the references

Just finished the third season of Oz and I'm starting to feel like it's not worth the time commitment; its the accumulation of the lack of satisfying character arcs and the amount of implausible plot points that are starting to wear me down. At it's best, it's still this beautifully-constructed visual show, but it doesn't feel enough anymore. I might give it a good break, I'm not feeling the urge to finish it. 

As per usual, enjoying Season 3 of Sabrina. I'm coming to terms it'll never be the show I want it to be. It has the potential to be Buffy esq, but it's definitely not as brave - it's a shame because it's such an enjoyable show when it gets firing. I think I just need to re-adjust my expectations and enjoy it for what it is, I think I was hopeful it would always go to the next level after it had some time to find its feet. 

Edited by Jimmy

On 13/04/2020 at 21:42, Liam Mk2 said:

Well hey, there's an extra 40 minute bonus episode if you want it....!

Watched it, basically the only good part is when Jeff Lowe is questioned on his insanely large collection of Affliction t-shirts. Other than that, pretty much a waste of time.