2010 Winter Olympics

Guest Mr. Potato Head

The BBC commentary was awful. Brett Pope was okay, but the English guy (his name eludes me) was acting like the power play was equivalent to winning the serve in volleyball or something, like you can't score without having the man advantage. I get that they need to simplify the game for new viewers, but that was just outright dumb. I enjoyed the game though, that empty-netter was sweet. Canada needed to play with the pace they played the endof the third with for teh whole game, and they might have had a chance.

Anyone who didn't give the Americans a chance is forgetting one important thing.

Patrick Kane

Erik Johnson

Ryan Kesler

Jack Johnson

Ryan Whitney

Phil Kessel

Ryan Suter

All of these players graduated from the US National Development Program and are playing together at the 2010 Olympics. This players came from the same training, sometimes playing on the same team at the same time.

Just turned on to see Canada's pair for ice dancing... yeah, Ice Dancing. Well Canada rocked the fucking competition, 2 pairs left to skate. Not going to lie. The suspense is killing me. Canada has a huge 6 point lead, but it's not like it's impossible for the Americans or Russians to top them.

Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir of Canada become the youngest and first North American gold medalists in ice dance. It didn't take an expert to know that they were awesome tonight.

The one thing I hate about the average Canadian hockey fan is that they don't realize that other countries play hockey too...and play it well. Yes, our team is probably the best on paper, but the talent gap is such that if we played the US team 10 times, we would win 6 or 7 but not all of them. My friends acted like the world was ending when they saw the US winning, but if your a Leafs fan and see Ryan Miller a lot, you know what he can do.

I actually think the Canadians can take some positives away from that game. They had a lot of good pressure and generated a lot of quality chances. If they can do that again against Germany and Russia, then we are in business.

When did Norway become a fucking Olympic powerhaus?

Hasn't Norway always been solid at the Winter Olympics?

Yeah, Norwegians basically own the Winter Olympic Games. They have far and away the most medals (280 to 2nd placing USA's 218). Norway has always been super strong in the traditional winter sports like cross-country skiing, ski jumping, Nordic combined and biathlon. In fact, 87 of their medals are from cross-country skiing.

Edited by Jayzon

Guest Mr. Potato Head

The one thing I hate about the average Canadian hockey fan is that they don't realize that other countries play hockey too...and play it well. Yes, our team is probably the best on paper, but the talent gap is such that if we played the US team 10 times, we would win 6 or 7 but not all of them. My friends acted like the world was ending when they saw the US winning, but if your a Leafs fan and see Ryan Miller a lot, you know what he can do.

Keep in mind that the average Canadian hockey fan where you are is also a Leafs fan, so delusion is nothing new :P

Nah, one was a great goal, the other a 2 on 0.

I can't believe that up 4-0 they gave the penalty shot to Crosby. I mean it's fucking Rick Nash! Asides from Iginla, he's been our best forward in the tournament. Sure a lack of goals, but he has the work ethic the whole team needs! Argh, I can't fucking stand Crosby.

So Russia v Canada in the quarter finals tomorrow. Canada hasn't beat Russia in the Olympics since 1960... although Canada plain didn't send a hockey team for 16 years but still... 1960.

Give'r Canada!

• Like 1

Holy shit, did anyone just see the hit on Lubos Bartecko? An absolutely disgusting elbow to the head from the Norwegian Tollefsen, and Bartecko smashed his head on the ground after his helmet had popped off on the way down. Blood is just pouring out. Frightening.

I wasn't watching, should we be at all concerned about Luongo letting in two goals against Germany?

I missed the first goal but there was absolutely nothing he could've done on the 2nd goal. It was a kick save and the rebound just went straight to a German. I would start Luongo vs Russia.

Agree completely on Joannie Rochette. Had to switch over from curling just to make sure I saw her performance. Also nice to see the Gold in Ski Cross but this was supposed to be a multiple medal sport for Canada. Settled for just the one.