2020 Tokyo Olympics

Lineker

While the hardware is kinda shit I'd be lost without my Roku. Basically has every streaming service on it, and they get the newer services (i.e. Discovery+) much faster than video game consoles and smart TVs.

Coverage here isn't as bad as I anticipated but wayyyy too much of the live stuff is hidden behind the Peacock paywall, highly frustrating. But as long as I don't google results I can still have a level of surprise. Except when the guy shows the "current medal table" and shows South Korea with multiple gold medals and then goes "let's get you over to team archery" and it's South Korea going for one of those golds I was just shown that they had won. Ah well.

47 minutes ago, damshow said:

While the hardware is kinda shit I'd be lost without my Roku. Basically has every streaming service on it, and they get the newer services (i.e. Discovery+) much faster than video game consoles and smart TVs.

Coverage here isn't as bad as I anticipated but wayyyy too much of the live stuff is hidden behind the Peacock paywall, highly frustrating. But as long as I don't google results I can still have a level of surprise. Except when the guy shows the "current medal table" and shows South Korea with multiple gold medals and then goes "let's get you over to team archery" and it's South Korea going for one of those golds I was just shown that they had won. Ah well.

In all fairness, it's known South Korea is getting a gold medal in team archery before the olympics start. :P

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, damshow said:

France might beat the US in men's basketball. Our team this year is a total mess, poor player selections and Popovich has lost it as a coach. Genuinely would be surprised to medal.

I agree. This is not a good team. Teams that have been playing together for years, like France, Spain, and Australia all are better.

Spain are in a steep decline now though and the new batch isn't remotely on the same level. Rankings wise they're still really good because they had loads of points and still need to lose a bit to drop but it's a matter of time. Australia though are improving. Also I made a lot of money betting on this. It's all downhill from here.

10 minutes ago, Malenko said:

Spain are in a steep decline now though and the new batch isn't remotely on the same level. Rankings wise they're still really good because they had loads of points and still need to lose a bit to drop but it's a matter of time. Australia though are improving. Also I made a lot of money betting on this. It's all downhill from here.

The main thing Spain and Australia have for them is the time spent together. It goes a lot for Olympic style basketball. Team USA have no team work, no chemistry, and it's going to cost them big time. Like you said, it's all downhill from here.

Kevin Durant gonna declare French citizenship.

We didn't even qualify for 3x3.  Bad year for men's basketball.  I propose a team of all 3 Ball brothers for the next Olympics.

Really enjoyed the skateboarding this morning, nice story with the local winner too. Big takeaway for me though is that both US athletes had earpods in for their whole runs, with phones in pocket. I can't even sit on a train without hoopy things on my headphones. What is wrong with my ears?

Stuck two minutes of beach volleyball on too, genuinely ridiculous at this stage. I don't want to be the guy who tells a woman to put some clothes on, but it's quite a good sport, it doesn't actually need to be played in a thong. 

• Like 1

Just now, Colly said:

Really enjoyed the skateboarding this morning, nice story with the local winner too. Big takeaway for me though is that both US athletes had earpods in for their whole runs, with phones in pocket. I can't even sit on a train without hoopy things on my headphones. What is wrong with my ears?

Stuck two minutes of beach volleyball on too, genuinely ridiculous at this stage. I don't want to be the guy who tells a woman to put some clothes on, but it's quite a good sport, it doesn't actually need to be played in a thong. 

Didn’t the IOC threaten to ban a team who wanted to wear shorts? Just wear whatever it is that makes you comfortable.

The skateboarding I felt wasn’t a great showing on the world stage for it in 2021. Street skating was never that big in the late 90’s/early 00’s days as visually very skating is a lot more exciting, in more recent years with purpose built courses and the likes of SLS it’s really helped, but when you spend the whole event fawning over someone who finishes second to last, not a good look.

I feel the SLS style of 2 runs, 5 best tricks just leads to a lot more 4 best tricks being the win. Nyjah made a mistake by not at least landing a half decent second trick and going full blitz from trick 2.

They should make it 3 runs, 5 tricks. Best run is always taken then your 3 best scores from the other 7 scores.

1 hour ago, Colly said:

I walk down our driveway with earbuds in to get the mail and by the time I'm turned back around the things are already falling out of my ears. I can't imagine skateboarding with earbuds in. <_<

1 hour ago, Tigerstyle said:

Didn’t the IOC threaten to ban a team who wanted to wear shorts? Just wear whatever it is that makes you comfortable.

The skateboarding I felt wasn’t a great showing on the world stage for it in 2021. Street skating was never that big in the late 90’s/early 00’s days as visually very skating is a lot more exciting, in more recent years with purpose built courses and the likes of SLS it’s really helped, but when you spend the whole event fawning over someone who finishes second to last, not a good look.

I feel the SLS style of 2 runs, 5 best tricks just leads to a lot more 4 best tricks being the win. Nyjah made a mistake by not at least landing a half decent second trick and going full blitz from trick 2.

They should make it 3 runs, 5 tricks. Best run is always taken then your 3 best scores from the other 7 scores.

I wouldn't even pretend to be an expert but I think I agree. Having the two long runs mean very little felt a bit odd.

To protest the sexualisation of women in the sport, the German women's gymnastics team wore unitards

w7fqpkkplfd71.jpg

• Like 5