2004 Olympics

Guest fullhouse

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been fixed events in the Olympics for years, off and on.

Go look up the Basketball results from the 1972 Olympics, for instance. Some Russians have gold medals that rightfully belonged to the U.S. team, because some commie judge added time to the clock that shouldn't have been added, and the Russians came back and won.

And don't even get me started on figure skating in the winter Olympics. If the scandal from the pairs event last time wasn't bad enough, there's the women's event from the previous winter Olympics. Oksana Baiul won the gold in that previous Olympics, even though Nancy Kerrigan skated flawlessly, and Baiul fell on her butt about three times while performing.

I don't usually pay much attention to the Olympics at all, but I watched the women's figure skating that year due to the whole Tonya Harding scandal. And for some reason, I found myself watching Curling last time....

This year, there's an athlete named Tom Pappas from here who is competing in some Track & Field events, so I'll likely watch some of them and hope he wins a couple of medals. I also hope the Iraqis do well in the games this year. But not in events where they're competing against the U.S., naturally.

There have been fixed events in the Olympics for years, off and on.

Go look up the Basketball results from the 1972 Olympics, for instance. Some Russians have gold medals that rightfully belonged to the U.S. team, because some commie judge added time to the clock that shouldn't have been added, and the Russians came back and won.

And don't even get me started on figure skating in the winter Olympics. If the scandal from the pairs event last time wasn't bad enough, there's the women's event from the previous winter Olympics. Oksana Baiul won the gold in that previous Olympics, even though Nancy Kerrigan skated flawlessly, and Baiul fell on her butt about three times while performing.

I don't usually pay much attention to the Olympics at all, but I watched the women's figure skating that year due to the whole Tonya Harding scandal. And for some reason, I found myself watching Curling last time....

This year, there's an athlete named Tom Pappas from here who is competing in some Track & Field events, so I'll likely watch some of them and hope he wins a couple of medals. I also hope the Iraqis do well in the games this year. But not in events where they're competing against the U.S., naturally.

Pappas is the Decathalon world record holder I think. Michael Phelps is from around where I live so it's close to being a law one watches him race.

Did anyone watch the opening ceremony, that thing was damn long. I hope they put toilets under that stage, because anyone from an early country was standing there a very long time. And it was rubbish. I spotted Yao Ming before Barry Davies though, which means I rule.

I thought it was facsinating, even though it was pretty long. I'm looking forward to the olympics, I have a magazine showcasing all the events and the time it will happen. My favourites are the long jump, the 200m sprint, the Rowing Races(Because Canada owns), The Diving, and the Swimming. The Bike stuff is pretty good.

Edited by Laice_

And another plus from NBC, overexposure of Michael Phelps!!!!

First rule of marketing.....when you have a marketable product......you market it. Simple as that. This guy is gonna go for eight Gold Medals, NBC would be stupid not to take advantage of that. As for the small countries that came by during commercials they did show them right when they got back from commercials(eventhough it was very quickly

Well I understand that, but why not mention someone like Martin Boonzaayer who is one of the best Judoists (Is that a word) in the world? Hell, Cael Sanderson isn't getting THAT much coverage and he has a chance to establish himself as one of the best wrestlers in the world with a medal in the 185 lb freestyle.

Judo doesn't sell half as much as swimming in the US.

Today's TV Coverage

NBC

12:00p - 6:00p

America gets its first look at swimming phenom Michael Phelps as he shoots for the 400m IM gold, and diving begins with live coverage of the first final in women's synchronized springboard.

8:00p - 12:00a

Nineteen-year-old superstar swimmer Michael Phelps begins his quest for a record gold medal haul with the 400m IM final. Also, at the pool, Jenny Thompson goes for her ninth career gold medal when the U.S. competes in the 4x100m freestyle relay. The men's gymnastics competition, featuring 2003 world champion Paul Hamm, gets underway, the men's synchronized platform diving final is held, and the world's greatest cyclists will start and finish in the shadows of the Acropolis in the men's road race.

The NBC Broadcast sucked.

Later I found out that the Canadian Channell (CBC) Started an hour earlier, so while NBC was on Lebanon, CBC were all ready on Greece.

After it was over on CBC, I flipped back to NBC and they were on Bjork's song. The God damn announcers were talking over the music. I know the song was bad, but that's still disrespectful. And after that they had the thing where the runner ran through the ribbons for where it was throughout the years. And the NBC announcers were talking over the Stadium Announcer. Even though the stadium announcer added the effect of it.

I am officially watching all the olympics on CBC. Screw you NBC and your American Broadcast.

Oh and if anyone's interested, this morning The Switzerland [sP] beat Canada in men's beach volleyball.

The opening ceremony ruled. Then Bjork came out. *barfs*

It's been good do far, I was watching the Judo and Beach Volleyball. And the badminton, I think I should represent the UK in the next Olympics, THEY SUCK~! :lol:

*****Spoilers for ____________________*****

Me and the other unfortunate folks living in the US would appreciate if sports were mentioned like that. I'll try posting the daily US schedule like I did today so spoiler markers can be done. Thanks.

Back on topic.....Australia and Germany had a very good hockey game with Germany pulling off the 2-1 upset.

Edited by sahyder1