2010 Winter Olympics

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I will regret for the rest of my life not having gone to these Olympics. Had every intention of going to this but circumstances dictated otherwise. Who knows when we'll have a chance to watch Canada at a home Olympics ever again.

This is why I'm going to do my level best to see as much as I can of London 2012.

I really want to go to the opening and/or closing ceremonies but I imagine it will be nigh on impossible to get in there.

Also, the closing ceremony was great. In particular, the Russian bit with them skating with the sea in the background, beautiful. Then Canada had to ruin the whole thing with Nickleback and Avril Lavinge. :shifty:

Guest Sideshow MPH

Sahyder... I was reading that our next legit bit will be in the 2020's and likely Quebec City.

Bwahahahahaha. If that's the case, Toronto is *never* getting the Summer Games they so badly want.

They probably won't... Quebec City has tried once or twice in the past to get a Winter Games. It's a pretty ideallic location in Canada for it. I find that Toronto gets the shaft constantly because the city doesn't have much charm or character. It's a huge, important, metropolis in Canada but it doesn't get the same praise the way Vancouver or Montreal does, in a way I feel like that's why Chicago got snubbed so hard for the 2016 games, they're a huge, important, world class city... Just like Toronto, but it doesn't have much character beyond prohibition era gangland violence.

In any case, it wouldn't be for another 16-20 years or something like that.

As far as I know, Toronto is the Canadian city seriously considering a 2020 bid, Quebec City is seriously considering a 2022 bid. Like Basha said, Quebec City is ideal for the winter Olympics, not so much the summer games. Toronto's bid will be strengthened with the facilities being constructed for the 2015 Pan-Am Games, although I kind of feel like they'd probably be better off bidding for 2024 where they'd be able to tout the hopeful success of those games.

And really? It's character that's kept the summer games from Toronto? I must have forgotten about all that character strewn throughout Atlanta in between meth labs.

Atlanta bought their games haha.

I'm just saying that city size doesn't really have much to do with selection. So despite being the largest Canadian city, when it goes up against other cities, you have to ask what does Toronto offer that is so much better than these other cities... often times they fail at this.

I do agree however that with the 2015 Pan Am games it'll help bolster Toronto's bid. I'm not against Toronto hosting a games, but I'm just not convinced of the city.

Guest Sideshow MPH

As far as I know, Toronto is the Canadian city seriously considering a 2020 bid, Quebec City is seriously considering a 2022 bid. Like Basha said, Quebec City is ideal for the winter Olympics, not so much the summer games. Toronto's bid will be strengthened with the facilities being constructed for the 2015 Pan-Am Games, although I kind of feel like they'd probably be better off bidding for 2024 where they'd be able to tout the hopeful success of those games.

And really? It's character that's kept the summer games from Toronto? I must have forgotten about all that character strewn throughout Atlanta in between meth labs.

Right, but I doubt the IOC would want games coming back to Canada within ten years...even 14 seems a little iffy, and that's passable only because it's winter vs. summer. 2024 or even 2028 is where they should be looking (and really, the COC should be mandating a focus one on Canadian bid at a time so we don't get things like a Toronto bid in 2020 derailing a Quebec one in 2022).

In other news, ten years from now I'm sure last night will be looked upon as some sort of milestone for Canadian culture and Canadian identity. The most-watched TV event in our history, followed by the celebrations in the streets across the country...and then the closing ceremony where we poke fun at ourself ridiculously well before sending up a bunch of shitty bands. The legend of last night is just going to grow and grow.

Yeah, I doubt see the Quebec City part happening. Toronto in 2020/2024 is a possibility though. It'll have a lot to do with who ends up getting 2018. I would definitely setting for watching Summer Olympics in Toronto. The city is definitely capable of hosting it and like mentioned above the new facilities will help. Toronto needs a new stadium to land a NFL team anyways so hopefully the two can go hand in hand.

If I had to guess right now I would say France probably will beat out Germany for the 2018 games. 2020 in Toronto is a very real possibility. It would have been 24 years since a North American Summer games at that point. No idea who's going for 2022 as of right now but would not be surprised to see Dubai get 2024 if they don't succeed in 2020.

The game yesterday did a 17.6 overnight rating with a 33 share. That number far exceeds expectations here in the US. That number is better than every NBA Final since 1998. Only the Red Sox winning in '04 beats it as far as MLB from recent memory is concerned. Just great numbers.

Guest Sideshow MPH

Quebec City seems completely realistic to me. They'd probably have an easier time getting the Winter Olympics than Toronto getting the Summer - for one, not as much competition. For two, Quebec's mostly-Francophone population would appeal to delegates who are concerned about too many Anglo hosts. For three, it's not like you need to be a metropolis to host the Winter Olympics - Vancouver and Calgary are, by far, the two biggest cities to ever have them.

If Toronto wants the Summer Games, they need to get the COC to tell other cities not to bid on Winter Games - otherwise they'd have probably got 2012 over London. Giving Vancouver 2010 was in part a consolation prize for Toronto not getting 2008 - but it shut Toronto out for at least a decade.

Quebec City seems completely realistic to me. They'd probably have an easier time getting the Winter Olympics than Toronto getting the Summer - for one, not as much competition. For two, Quebec's mostly-Francophone population would appeal to delegates who are concerned about too many Anglo hosts. For three, it's not like you need to be a metropolis to host the Winter Olympics - Vancouver and Calgary are, by far, the two biggest cities to ever have them.

If Toronto wants the Summer Games, they need to get the COC to tell other cities not to bid on Winter Games - otherwise they'd have probably got 2012 over London. Giving Vancouver 2010 was in part a consolation prize for Toronto not getting 2008 - but it shut Toronto out for at least a decade.

Agree completely with your one bid at a time comment.

Fantastic game last night. I've only recently started to actually watch and care slightly for Hockey and I just loved that game. Was rooting on Canada from the start, but really started to warm towards the US after a while, to a point where I was just happy to be watching the game overall. Very good stuff for a neutral, great for the sport too. It's certainly shot my interest up for the sport.

Overall I didn't expect to hardly take notice of these games, but in the end I just loved it. Vancouver can only be summed up as AWESOME. Brilliant Canada, just brilliant :wub:

Yeah, I doubt see the Quebec City part happening. Toronto in 2020/2024 is a possibility though. It'll have a lot to do with who ends up getting 2018. I would definitely setting for watching Summer Olympics in Toronto. The city is definitely capable of hosting it and like mentioned above the new facilities will help. Toronto needs a new stadium to land a NFL team anyways so hopefully the two can go hand in hand.

If I had to guess right now I would say France probably will beat out Germany for the 2018 games. 2020 in Toronto is a very real possibility. It would have been 24 years since a North American Summer games at that point. No idea who's going for 2022 as of right now but would not be surprised to see Dubai get 2024 if they don't succeed in 2020.

The game yesterday did a 17.6 overnight rating with a 33 share. That number far exceeds expectations here in the US. That number is better than every NBA Final since 1998. Only the Red Sox winning in '04 beats it as far as MLB from recent memory is concerned. Just great numbers.

Not that I don't believe you, but can you hook me up with a news source for the ratings of the hockey game?

I'm honestly not surprised it got a better rating then every NBA Final this decade, but beating the World Series (with the exception of one time) when Boston & New York have played in a total of 6 this decade is pretty surprising.

Edited by damshow

Not that I don't believe you, but can you hook me up with a news source for the ratings of the hockey game?

I'm honestly not surprised it got a better rating then every NBA Final this decade, but beating the World Series (with the exception of one time) when Boston & New York have played in a total of 6 this decade is pretty surprising.

Those were the overnight numbers and at this point I honestly don't remember which of the 200 articles I've read on the game I got it from. Here is the ESPN article on the final number. The comparisons with other sports are from John Buccigross of ESPN.

Hopefully the NHL can capitalize on this in some fashion. NHL Center Ice is FREE this week for Digital Cable subscribers. Lets see if people do latch on. Gary Bettman has been making the rounds on TV and Radio too.

Guest Sideshow MPH

I seem to be alone in thinking this, but the vast majority of that game (everything but the last few minutes of the third and all of OT) wasn't all that great - tremendous excitement, yes, but it wasn't "miles ahead of anything you'll see in the NHL" the way every American sportswriter claims it is as if we're still in 2002 and the Devils are trapping their way to victory. If people check out the NHL and get games that, quality-wise, are comparable to Sunday - entirely possible - we've got some new fans.

I seem to be alone in thinking this, but the vast majority of that game (everything but the last few minutes of the third and all of OT) wasn't all that great - tremendous excitement, yes, but it wasn't "miles ahead of anything you'll see in the NHL" the way every American sportswriter claims it is as if we're still in 2002 and the Devils are trapping their way to victory. If people check out the NHL and get games that, quality-wise, are comparable to Sunday - entirely possible - we've got some new fans.

Agreed. I laugh at the widespread criticism here in the US that "Olympic hockey is fun because there is no fighting." I don't buy that at all. It has nothing to do with fighting. Olympics are great because it brings patriotism into it and is a pretty much a single elimination tournament for the most part. The quality of the teams is obviously better too because it is essentially a series of All-Star games. World Cup Soccer is more interesting than watching any of the leagues in Europe or the MLS here for the same reason. World Cup Cricket is more interesting than a regular cricket match. It is the same in ALL sports.

People who complain about hockey have never given it a fair chance and never will. There is a good product on the ice on a nightly basis. Here in the US the hockey haters just keep creating excuses to bash hockey without actually talking about it. The media is a big part of it too. They complain about expansion watering down the talent pool. Can someone explain to me which sport doesn't have that problem? Sports are a business. Of course the leagues are going to expand. Do they need to relocate a couple of teams back to Canada? Sure, but I have no problem with a 30 team league. People whine about the length of the season when everyone knows that is something that will never be changed. What owner in any sort of business is going to cut their revenues? They should however fix the schedule. Everyone should play everyone at least twice every year. Let guys like Crosby and Ovechkin go into EVERY market EVERY year. People whine about the fighting but have no understanding of it. They make it sound like every hockey game is filled with about 5 fights. These are the same people that whine when their baseball teams don't throw at an opposing hitter as retaliation. More people get hurt in baseball being HBP than guys who get hurt in hockey during a fight.

Versus actually got a bump in their audience last night. Hopefully they can build on it.